Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some thoughts on the Lexus ES

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 01:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short, if a ES hybrid model existed it probably would have been included in the ad (which focuses on high perf and hybrid models).
Old 06-10-10, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In short, if a ES hybrid model existed it probably would have been included in the ad (which focuses on high perf and hybrid models).
Why there has been no ES hybrid, as of yet, is certainly an interesting (and speculative) question, but one thing, IMO, should be noted......though the interior trim and noise isolation would be better than a Camry hybrid, mechanically (powertrain and chassis), there probably wouldn't be much difference.
Old 06-10-10, 01:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm pretty sure we'll see ESXXXh with the next generation. Isn't it due for MY2012?
Old 06-10-10, 01:41 PM
LexFather

I said in another thread that maybe the ES demographics don't desire hybrids. From what we have seen younger people and more techies buy hybrids. The CT is a hybrid only aimed squarely for even younger buyers than the HS was targeted for.

Would the ES get the 4 cylinder hybrid or a V-6 hybrid. If it gets the one the Camry has, that does 35/35, well that really creams the HS IMO.

Old 06-10-10, 01:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I said in another thread that maybe the ES demographics don't desire hybrids. From what we have seen younger people and more techies buy hybrids. The CT is a hybrid only aimed squarely for even younger buyers than the HS was targeted for.

Would the ES get the 4 cylinder hybrid or a V-6 hybrid. If it gets the one the Camry has, that does 35/35, well that really creams the HS IMO.
I think the ES is gonna receive the hybrid drivetrain from the RX if anything - to place it above the regular V6 model.
Old 06-10-10, 01:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why there has been no ES hybrid, as of yet, is certainly an interesting (and speculative) question, but one thing, IMO, should be noted......though the interior trim and noise isolation would be better than a Camry hybrid, mechanically (powertrain and chassis), there probably wouldn't be much difference.
Agreed, the significant differences would be mostly appearance and feature-content depending on how spec'ed. The objective measurements of noise isolation of the Camry hybrid are already class-leading, not to mention the subjective level of quietness that I have experienced extensively.

But in response to OP's initial observation, the ES is missing simply due to lack of hybrid version.
Old 06-10-10, 01:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

To your point, just look at the super strong success of the new Prius in the high-tech capital of the world, Silicon Valley. I expect the CT to sell strongly into 2nd place.
Old 06-10-10, 01:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the ES moves pretty well on its own without all of the added exposure. I have to say I really enjoy the ES for what it is. When I drive them as loaners I feel like Lexus has really produced an excellent contender for its class, although it strays to the luxury side. Its a nice car to drive. It coddles you in leather and silence but just dont try to rip around any corners in it. Now its not like the vehicle will send you flying into a tree but the amount of body roll is disturbing. So drive it like those it was designed for and you have one hell of a car.
Old 06-10-10, 03:24 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone brings up great points. The ES is a quintessential Lexus and I like what 1SICK said here:

The ES has no tricks, no AWD, no hybrid, no F variants as you state.

To me the ES is a "Throwback" to cars of yesterday. There was one way, one setting, one suspension, one everything. The automaker either got it right or wrong. Today we have cars with 8 settings (comfort to sport) and all these options for the sake of it.

The ES is simple and sometimes simple is superb! As I stated before Lexus stands for success. The ES is a prime example of it.
Originally Posted by Joeb427
Lexus did advertise the ES quite a lot.The December to Remember had many ES ads on TV but haven't seen many lately.Seems the RX is the ad king now.
I had one and found the car to have a bit bland styling but a very smooth,quiet ride and comfortable interior.A great boulevard cruiser.I have to believe the '10 has the best ride quality in it's class.
Yeah, the ES and other individual Lexus have had ads in the past, but lately Lexus has been trying to promote and highlight their "marques" namely F performance and h hybrids.

A few months ago Lexus came out with an ad for their h's that talked about how they were first in the industry and in the ad every "h" car was displayed. That's the type of halo I'm talking about in relation to this thread. The ES has no advertising halo yet it continues to succeed. That's what I meant by my line in the original post:

Originally Posted by (Cj)
the ES is neither F nor hybrid. It just... is.
Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yeah that's pretty much the obvious point. Lexus never made an F or h version therefore it shouldn't be in the F or h ads. But it begs the question why? and what's taking them so long to do something about it?

Lexus may be content to leave the ES as is though.
Old 06-10-10, 03:34 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that's one way and powertrain that I think would sell. But, why couldn't an ESh share the powertrain of the RXh, another transverse setup?

What really amazes me now is that the Camry hybrid is rated for 31 city, 35 hwy, wherease the FWD 450h is rated for 31 city, 28 hwy. Perhaps Lexus is holding off on an ESh until whatever they are cooking up (and Im sure something is cookin) to compete with the Fusion hybrid.
Old 06-10-10, 03:43 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

An ESh would be too expensive at a base cost of say $41K-$42K and not a big seller,IMO.
Loaded at $50K.
Old 06-10-10, 03:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

An ESh would be too expensive at a base cost of say $41K-$42K and not a big seller,IMO.
Loaded at $50K.
I don't think that a 4 cylinder hybrid would command such a premium. And even if it did, I think it would sell. Look at the GS450h. It's priced so high that it is unattainable.
Old 06-10-10, 03:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't think that a 4 cylinder hybrid would command such a premium. And even if it did, I think it would sell. Look at the GS450h. It's priced so high that it is unattainable.
I think Lexus would have to go with the 3.5L over the 2.4L.
The ES still would have to have some pep.
I don't the the average ES buyer would be interested in a Hybrid.Especially at a cost $4K-$5K more.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-10-10 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 04:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think Lexus would have to go with the 3.5L over the 2.4L.
The ES still would have to have some pep.
I don't the the average ES buyer would be interested in a Hybrid.Especially at a cost $4K-$5K more.
I don't think that we will see the 2.4L for much longer and the 2.5L would be a suitable powertrain for the ES. In fact, I would be surprised if we didn't see a 4 cylinder ESh in response to the MKZ.

But I think you are wrong. It is my opinion that the ES buyer would be very interested in a smooth driving, efficient hybrid. Otherwise they wouldnt be buying as ES to begin with.
Old 06-10-10, 04:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't think that we will see the 2.4L for much longer and the 2.5L would be a suitable powertrain for the ES. In fact, I would be surprised if we didn't see a 4 cylinder ESh in response to the MKZ.

But I think you are wrong. It is my opinion that the ES buyer would be very interested in a smooth driving, efficient hybrid. Otherwise they wouldnt be buying as ES to begin with.
Well,if the ESh is going into the $40K's,it will turn off a lot of people.
The ES is mostly bought by older people who probably don't drive much and the gas 3.5L gets very good MPGs.
I may wrong and it won't be the first or last time but I can't see Lexus going with a ES hybrid for quite awhile.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on the Lexus ES