Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Say Chevrolet--not Chevy--GM tells employees

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 11:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Say Chevrolet--not Chevy--GM tells employees

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100619999

Call it a 1956 Chevrolet Corvette--not a Chevy--General Motors is instructing its employees.
ChevroletFrom racetracks in the heartland to the iconic strains of “American Pie,” one word--Chevy--has transcended class and culture and helped raise the bow-tie brand to the lofty status as one of the most recognized in the world.

But now, one of the most blue-collar and singularly American marques is going formal: General Motors has told its employees to use the world “Chevrolet” instead of the commonly used “Chevy” nickname. An internal memo distributed this week directs workers to use the official name in all communications, from official duties to simple conversations.

The reason for the change is the emerging global presence of the Chevrolet brand. It's sold in more than 130 countries, and spokesman Klaus-Peter Martin said the brand is looking for greater consistency in its messages.

No immediate changes are expected in advertising or other communications.

There is no time line for a phase-in of the change. On Chevrolet.com, the word Chevy still appeared prominently on Thursday morning, including a statement stripped across the middle reading, “Over 1,000 people a day switch to Chevy.”

“Chevrolet has grown over the past several years and become a truly global brand,” Martin said.

That being said, “Chevy” is not going anywhere. The memo was an internal note telling employees what to say, and Martin said the company is more than happy for the general public to refer to the brand however it wants. Chevy, like Coke for Coca-Cola, has become embeded in the public vernacular.

“We're not trying to kill Chevy,” he said.

Chevrolet was founded in 1911 by race-car driver Louis Chevrolet and GM founder William Durant, and the iconic bow-tie emblem appeared shortly thereafter. The brand has consistently been GM's best-selling division for decades and one of the top sellers in the nation, vying with Ford and Toyota for the individual-brand sales crown.

“There is nothing wrong with being called Chevy,” Martin said. “It's a nickname. It's in our history. It's in our fabric. We love it.”

Chevrolet, of course, is just as familiar to car fans as Chevy. Dinah Shore famously sang “See the U.S.A. in your Chevrolet,” and another memorable ad pitched “baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.”

GM subsequently issued a statement on the controversy. It reads:

Today's emotional debate over a poorly worded memo on our use of the Chevrolet brand is a good reminder of how passionately people feel about Chevrolet. It is a passion we share and one we do not take for granted.

We love Chevy. In no way are we discouraging customers or fans from using the name. We deeply appreciate the emotional connections that millions of people have for Chevrolet and its products.

In global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process.

We hope people around the world will continue to fall in love with Chevrolets and smile when they call their favorite car, truck or crossover “Chevy.”

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0qTb385qU
Old 06-10-10, 11:47 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Must be raising prices
Old 06-10-10, 11:54 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

We love Chevy. In no way are we discouraging customers or fans from using the name. We deeply appreciate the emotional connections that millions of people have for Chevrolet and its products.
We hope people around the world will continue to fall in love with Chevrolets and smile when they call their favorite car, truck or crossover “Chevy

Then whats the #$!@ point?
Old 06-10-10, 12:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like they're trying to sound more French.
Old 06-10-10, 12:30 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Government Motors - enough said.
Old 06-10-10, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Followup: GM says feel free to say 'Chevy'

Looks like they recanted:

Followup: GM says feel free to say 'Chevy'

Were you one of the many that thought the apocalypse must be nigh for General Motors to suggest that we should stop referring to Chevrolet as 'Chevy'?" Yeah, we understand. After all, the nickname is as American as baseball and apple pie... or something like that.

With that in mind, GM has issued a clarification on its official Facebook page as well as in an official statement (available after the jump), blaming a "poorly worded memo" for the kerfuffle. Further, GM seeks to reassure the masses that they are free to refer to Chevrolet as Chevy if they so choose (whew!). Says The General, "In fact, we like when people call it "Chevy." It reflects 100 years of history and connection with the American People."

So, it would seem that we can call off the dogs, so to speak. But we feel obliged to make one thing clear – Do not expect General Motors to refer to its most popular marque as 'Chevy' moving forward:

In global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/10/f...-to-say-chevy/
Old 06-10-10, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by orzel
government motors - enough said.
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Old 06-10-10, 12:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's like BMW and Beemer.

It's interchangeable, but one is formal and one is casual.
Old 06-10-10, 12:57 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So what do we call our cars?!

Lexy!?
Old 06-10-10, 01:13 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's like BMW and Beemer.

It's interchangeable, but one is formal and one is casual.
I agree, though I'm fairly certain that when you go to a Bimmer dealer the sales guys say "BMW" unless you're on more familiar terms.

I get what they're trying to say though, the marketing and corporate writing should all be the same; Coca-Cola, BMW, Chevrolet, but in the common place Coke, Bimmer, Chevy are fine.

If you walk into a new environment and everyone is throwing slang or colloquialisms around it could lead to the new person in the room feeling like an outcast, therefore it's wise to maintain a more formal demeanor until a relationship (even a small one) is established.
Old 06-10-10, 01:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Somebody was told they have more important things to worry about at GM.

And the passion about Chevy in 2010 is overrated.
Old 06-10-10, 01:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw this article on autoblog yesterday. I think its kind of nice to try to get rid of that lame "chevy" nickname. I know many many people have grown up with the brand and know it as chevy but its sounds ghetto. My Lexus is a Lexus not a lex. My Acura is an Acura not and Ac. I think this is a welcome change for the companies image. They need to get away from the image of the good ol boys sitting around their chevy drinking a few beers down by the lake. This will enhance the more contemporary image of the company. When I think of the word "chevy" I think older males who wear baseball caps.
Old 06-10-10, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is not the first time that there has been a clash over how to describe an auto brand. With Mercedes, for instance, some say Mercedes, some Mercedes-Benz, some Daimler, some Daimler-Benz, others just M-B. Infiniti is sometimes pronounced "Infinity", and sometimes Infi-NI-Ti. Even GM's own Cadillac brand is often named "Caddy".

The Chevy name, though, is an icon. Never mind today.........even when I grew up 40-50 years ago, almost nobody said "Chevrolet", outside of Ralph Nader and his safety cohorts. In high school, if you said "Chevolet", you were considered a nerd.

Even Chevy's own ads use the term....such as in the "Like a Rock" Chevy truck ads.
Old 06-10-10, 01:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree that the name is huge but it just doesn't seem distinguished. I guess many manufacturers do have nicknames, but there has to be a reason that the corporate boys at GM think its a negative. I still think they may be doing this to separate themselves from the past. Who knows??
Old 06-10-10, 01:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Chevy name, though, is an icon. Never mind today.........even when I grew up 40-50 years ago, almost nobody said "Chevrolet", outside of Ralph Nader and his safety cohorts. In high school, if you said "Chevolet", you were considered a nerd.

Even Chevy's own ads use the term....such as in the "Like a Rock" Chevy truck ads.
tmi, but I thought that "Like a Rock" was a reference to crack cocaine.

But most GM commercials have been so bad historically (recent years) that I tend to tune them out.

Quick Reply: Say Chevrolet--not Chevy--GM tells employees