Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru STI-Tuned Legacy and Legacy Wagon - Yum!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 04:55 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subaru STI-Tuned Legacy and Legacy Wagon - Yum!

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...the-wagon.html

Subaru has just announced the introduction of an STI-tuned Legacy for the Japanese market. Offered in both sedan and touring (wagon) bodystyles the Legacy 2.5GT tS (as in, tuned by STI) gets a long list of upgrades to make it a more capable performer.
We’re a bit sad to see that other than an exhaust system there aren’t any changes to the engine, but with 265-hp it still delivers plenty. The are, however, numerous handling upgrades including a Bilstein suspension, strut bars, plus lighter and larger 18-inch wheels with 225/45/18 rubber.
Exterior mods include a new front lip as well as a subtle trunklid spoiler for the sedan and a nice roof wing for the wagon. The interior wasn’t ignored either with a new instrument panel, leather STI sport seats with red stitching, an STI steering wheel and shifter, plus STI floor mats and door sill scuff plates.
Pricing for the sedan in Japan starts at 4,029,900 Yen (roughly $44,190), with the wagon starting at 4,187,400 Yen (around $45,920).
Sadly, neither are offered in North America and aren’t likely to be. And that’s a real shame because an STI-tuned Legacy wagon looks like our kind of “crossover.”
Old 06-11-10, 05:54 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subaru is a strange company. I laud that they offer their top of the models only in a stick shift, but at the same time I don't neccessarily agree with it. I would like to see Subaru catch up and offer a 6AT in the Legacy GT and the WRX. They should offer Impreza and Legacy STi's exclusively in a MT if that is how they wish to do things. I think that there are a lot of 4th gen Legacy GT owners who won't drive a stick and the 3.6L option doesn't cut it for some. Nevertheless, Subaru is selling more cars than ever so their formula must be working.
Old 06-11-10, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Subaru, like VW, tends to neglects the American market, in spite of the faithful core of buyers they have on this side of the Pacific. One example.....for many years, no turbo Imprezas were sold here at all, in spite of many requests. Then, when they finally arrived, they went like wildfire, and Subaru officials saw the mistake they had made in not offering them before. Even today, we see the fruits of neglect of the American market....all new U.S.-spec non-turbo Subarus (and the turbo Impreza GT), for example, lack a proper engine-temperature gauge, while all JDM cars have them. The thread title....the STI-spec Legacy and wagon.......is just one more example. Another was trying to get rid of the folding side-mirrors on the 2010 Outback....pure cost-cutting. The outcry was so great that they were immediately reinstated on the 2011 model.

However, even with these complaints (and, IMO, most of them are deserved), Subaru still does what IMO is the best AWD in the buisness for the money.

But not all of the anti-Subaru complaints, IMO, are deserved. There were complaints, for example, about not having any MT Forester XT turbos any more in the American market, but they represented only about 4-5% of sales. There was a a fair buisness case for dropping them here.

And right now, the regular Outback and Legacy are so popular that spending the money to Federalize and certify the STI models for the American market might be an iffy proposition. We have not (yet) seen the demand for the turbo mid-sized models in America like we did for the turbo Impreza WRX/STi.
Old 06-11-10, 12:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

very cool . I think this vehicle would look amazing dropped with some nice wheels. To bad its not headed to the US and too bad it sell for as a Lexus ES.
Old 06-11-10, 12:54 PM
LexFather

Not a fan of the styling but nice that they will offer it somewhere.

Old 06-11-10, 01:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That's one ugly wagon as shown, but I suspect the picture is especially unflattering.
Old 06-11-10, 03:19 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

looks pretty clunky.

I really liked the last-gen wagon too.

Old 06-11-10, 04:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am pretty sure a set of coilovers and a set of 19" wheels stuffed into the fenders would liven up this vehicle.
Old 06-11-10, 05:38 PM
Ethix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Subaru owner, I have a soft spot for the company and just about anything with an STi badge on it. That said, the blue on that car looks terrible. On an Impreza with a big wing, it looks cool. On a big wagon like the legacy.....not so much. I'd take one in a dark color though.