Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Infiniti's launch of the M37/56
Infiniti marketing contiues to be just horrible
23.91%
Doesn't matter it wouldn't sell anyway
26.09%
Infiniti marketing is just fine and it works
13.04%
Wait, a new Infiniti came out?
21.74%
Pictures of these leprachauns holding the pixie dust please
13.04%
Doesn't matter how bad the advertising is with class leading lease deals
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Infiniti still doesn't get it and has dropped the ball on the M37/56

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 12:54 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

seen that pixie dust cm, thought to myself 'wth thats so stoopid'...
Old 06-11-10, 01:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The Infiniti M is a complete and utter fail. It is supposed to be their flagship, yet they made it look almost indistinguishable from the lowly G. Look at the MB E class - it looks upscale, look at the new 5 - it looks indistinguishable from the new 7, except for the rear end.

Why would you make your supposed flagship look like your cheapest model, and then set a laughably high MSRP?
Hate to **** on the parade but our beloved LS460 can almost be mistaken for an ES350 on some days. Nevertheless, Infinti's marketing is definatly in a funk as we speak. Also if the car dont sell good, it would net a great used car purchase two years from now. Nice car for a cheap price.

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 06-11-10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-11-10, 02:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took a close look at the new M and I liked the interior and from most angles, the exterior looks nice. I thought the front fenders around the hood area were too curved....taking away some sleekness. Other than that, I liked the look....but not enough to buy one.
It just didn't seem special enough. It looks like a cross between a G35 sedan and a Maxima.
I don't care much about marketing and branding. I know those things can maybe get me to look at a product but they won't get me to purchase that product.

Infiniti should care about marketing though.
Old 06-11-10, 02:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole M37/56 product release as of now is a non-event. I haven't noticed one on the road so far, but I do see plenty parked out front at the dealership.
Old 06-11-10, 02:20 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea whats going on with Infiniti advertising, I rarely watch TV and when I do, I usually stream it, most of Infiniti advertising for me pops up on several websites and forums, so I see enough of the car and get the blurbs of horsepower etc... so I don't think they dropped the ball, but don't the potential owners of these cars work and have jobs, and are career oriented, I bought my Maxima and never saw one commercial for it, but I researched every detail and spec on it, so if I'm about to purchase/lease an M/E or 5 no commercial is gonna be the game changer for me.

I think Infiniti is still the underdog compared to the likes of BMW/MB and Lexus, and I don't thing they are gonna sell a ton of 50k cars over night or month to month.

Look at the damage Ford, Chrysler and GM have done, they are no where near as big as they once where, can they get back to that size, maybe but not overnight
Old 06-11-10, 02:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

As far as promoting interest for this model, they are hanging onto an old style CM format that didn't work then and is certainly failing now. They can make it exciting but approach it in a manner as to highlight areas that don't grab a car buyer. Like Sick brought up, does anyone really care about the breeze from a vent? Put the car on a twisty road, let's hear some engine noise then do some specs followed by pricing. A pretty gal and handsome dude to wind it up. Simple IMO.

The secondary or even new pricing due to this will make them great deals. I so wanted to like the Q-45 at the prices they had been at but the car just didn't truly hit our likes. Pretty sad and I've like Nissan product.
Old 06-11-10, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I drove the M56 a month or so ago and was loving the power and the look of the new vehicle loaded ( doesnt look so hot with the standard wheels). I am surprised that of all of the great things that enjoyed about the car I find it so odd that they would focus on the AC and the wood on the console. How about the power, design, safety, engineering, etc. There are many other facets they could have incorporated into the advertisments
Old 06-11-10, 04:55 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
What do you mean "who cares"? It is the ONLY car that has pixie dust. Doesn't that alone make you WANT ONE NOW???

HAHAHA

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The whole M37/56 product release as of now is a non-event. I haven't noticed one on the road so far, but I do see plenty parked out front at the dealership.
I've only seen one on the road.

I'm used to seeing new-release luxury cars litter the streets in both areas I reside as soon as dealerships take delivery.

I've seen so much of the new E Class recently I feel like it's been around a long time, also caught the new 5-Series last weekend (and it's fantastic). But just one M.

And I thought it was a Maxima.
Old 06-11-10, 05:33 PM
Ethix
Driver

The thing I've always disliked about the majority of Infiniti models is that they're forgettable. I didn't even realize the Q45 had been discontinued until somebody in this thread mentioned that the M37/56 was their flagship. My first thought was "What happened to the Q45?"

It just seems like they're trying too hard with their styling to correct this. This whole swoopy body lines thing they've got going on with the M just doesn't do it for me. They need to take a step back and design something a little more....basic? The current IS/GS/LS lineup, to me, is pretty much spot on as far as luxury styling goes.

Then again, I've argued that the LFA is ugly and lots of people love it, so maybe I just don't like outrageous car designs (except for the TVR Sagaris ).
Old 06-11-10, 07:55 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I'm a big fan of the new car (the Y51 version). Is just too bad that their people aren't marketing this product "the way that it should be".

It's a really shame cause I've been a fan of this car ever since the Y50 came out and I fell in love with it.

As mentioned by many, it appears that same passion that I have for the car isn't shared by the people promoting and informing about the new car..............

Sad indeed
Old 06-11-10, 08:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The Infiniti brand is in trouble. They really can't sell anything beyond the G-series. Most people aren't willing to spend much more than $35-$40K for an Infiniti. And once this image has been established, it's extremely difficult to overcome it. Honestly, it doesn't matter how good Infiniti gets, they just won't be successful with the M line or the Q line if they bring it back. An now, even the SUV's are selling poorly.

The marketing is just the nail in the coffin.
Old 06-11-10, 08:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In recent years, Infiniti's marketing has improved somewhat compared to the forgettable decade past. I've liked the G35/37 spots, particularly the 'wave' which is about the acceleration sensation, and also the swimming spot about the engine 'breathing'. The brushstroke has been hit-and-miss. That being said, they've gone from slogan to slogan, between the 'Design' motif and then 'Inspired Performance' etc. Going all the way back to the infamous Rocks & Trees campaign and 'Own One And You'll Understand.' And their other model ads haven't been quite as successful. Also the G35/37 ads are similar to the Acura TL launch ads.

The new M seems to be a solid effort, although the riot of curves inside and out doesn't count for wonderful styling in my book, particularly the grille and the center stack/below. As expected with Infiniti, a monster of an engine and larger dimensions than class rivals. I like the gold dust and the forest air breeze--may seem gimmicky to some, but sounds like a unique touch. That being said those features shouldn't be the focus of the campaign. Similar to how the Q45 marketing had a focus being the 'gatling-gun' type headlights. In contrast, the LSh marketing was not about the first-ever LED headlights.

With competition increasing in the segment, Infiniti has had an opportunity to be more relevant and successful with the M since the second generation model. There are a number of factors, the increase in price, brand image, and new rivals which may squeeze that. But to capitalize on the new model and make a bigger splash, a different approach is likely needed.

On a related note, a former Nissan/Infiniti ad exec has just been named Group Creative Director at Lexus USA's ad agency, Team One. The press release claims work on "the launches of the Nissan Xterra, Altima and Infiniti Q45, which are among the most successful campaigns in the automaker's history." Considering that of these three, the Q45 has been discontinued and is better known for the infamous Rocks & Trees campaign, this had me concerned. However, it seems that the agency involved in that first launch was jettisoned, and the new hire was involved in the latest gen launch, with ads as follows:

In “Speed Effect,” a new Q45 stands motionless while smoke, leaves, wind and rain create speed tunnels around it. A52’s CGI team, led by Denis Gauthier, used Houdini and Renderman to create steam that was blended with 2D elements, while Brewster removed reflections and composited-in rain effects and a group of girls walking around the car.

“Rear View” presents a Q45 entering a parking garage backwards and reversing up the spiral ramp and into a rooftop parking space to illustrate its new rear-view monitor feature. A52’s team provided additional color-grading, composited-in video monitors, added a floor to the parking garage and adjusted the placement of vehicles within key shots.

Finally, in “Power of Speech,” a man uses voice commands to stop the rain, halt traffic and to adjust temperature and sound system controls inside his new Q45. A52’s work included compositing rain into the opening scene, adding vehicles into the major traffic scene and stopping traffic. A52 artists also enhanced multiple scenes by adding additional architecture plates that had been shot on location in Rotterdam. A moving tracking shot at the end of the commercial was also enhanced with additional traffic lights, color grading and architecture plates.

Each of the three spots ends with the same end tag: Viewers see a quick series of angles on the Q45 powering through various landscapes, leading to a freeze-frame of the star vehicle in which the text “The New Q” scrolls across until the Q45 speeds on through frame and the scene fades to black. “Accelerating the future” then burns into black to join the highlighted Infiniti logo.
Old 06-11-10, 10:35 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before buying the Jaguar XF SC a couple of days ago..the M56S was on the radar..fully loaded here in Canada it was 72K CAD...its a nice car and it ends there for me personally...looks too much like a GS 350 on roids...not saying its a bad looking car but for that price...there are much better options...test drove one...the interior was nice,great drive but the clincher was the lack of appeal to me.....as far as the ads..they blow...saw the one with the drunk guy painting lines...what a stupid idea...
Old 06-12-10, 05:15 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Maybe I'm reading this whole post wrong, but I have read and heard nothing but *****ing about how the new Ms handle, that the tire/wheel set-up was done horribly wrong... and the big discounts out of the gate ($3K off in month ONE) are a reflection of poor design and build, not marketing. Seems everyone is talking about marketing and branding, not quality.

Maybe I need some more coffee this morning and re-read the threads...
Old 06-12-10, 06:31 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I personally don't really care about advertising. Thats not the problem here at all, the problem is that the car simply looks cheap. Even the outgoing model, while didn't age very well, did have decent road presence. This new one could be mistaken for a Hyundai.
That's because the previous gen m/fuga blatantly copied the 2gs, hence why they look decent.

Quick Reply: Infiniti still doesn't get it and has dropped the ball on the M37/56