Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Infiniti's launch of the M37/56
Infiniti marketing contiues to be just horrible
23.91%
Doesn't matter it wouldn't sell anyway
26.09%
Infiniti marketing is just fine and it works
13.04%
Wait, a new Infiniti came out?
21.74%
Pictures of these leprachauns holding the pixie dust please
13.04%
Doesn't matter how bad the advertising is with class leading lease deals
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Infiniti still doesn't get it and has dropped the ball on the M37/56

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 12:13 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I finally saw one M37 outside of a dealer lot display. It was in front of Jack-in-the Box, but had dealer plates, probably driven there by dorq salesperson.
Your post is very insightful; can't wait for your next car review.
Old 06-26-10, 12:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Is that the NEW 5? And it came LAST in a C&D comparo? There must be something in the water as BMW has been missing the first place mark in a number of C&D gunfights lately.
Yes, it was the new 5 in the comparo.
Old 06-26-10, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
If you are here to just defend Nissan and troll and add nothing of value please exit the thread.

Old 06-26-10, 12:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I drove both the 5er and the M recently and I've got to say, besides the terrible advertising I just didn't think the M was as good a vehicle either. I felt that the basic M rode rougher than the sport package 5er and the M, as all Infiniti products recently, despite looking good just felt cheap on the inside. And speaking of the good looking inside, it's striking at first but after a 10 minute drive I started to grow tired of the never ending waves and curves.
With all the talk about the M's advertising I have to say that the TV ads for the new 5 are not any better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdQlQ3lke-U
It emphasizes beauty and says nothing about being an "ultimate driving machine". It's just that the 5 has such a reputation and a built-in expectation as a BMW that it really doesn't matter.
Old 06-26-10, 12:55 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by speedflex
With all the talk about the M's advertising I have to say that the TV ads for the new 5 are not any better.

It emphasizes beauty and says nothing about being an "ultimate driving machine". It's just that the 5 has such a reputation and a built-in expectation as a BMW that it really doesn't matter.
Yeah the new 5 ads, hell the entire "JOY" campaign is really lame to me I much preferred their old ads, even if they jabbed the competition . However as you stated, consumers respond to BMW and will buy the product in droves. BMW's brand is one of the strongest around and people know it stands for sport/luxury.

In the WSJ, Infiniti is advertsiting the new lease for the G/M and they chose a base M37 to advertise. Its a big ad, maybe 1/4 of the page or more but it just isn't flattering the M37 in the pic and the G37 in front looks way to similar. At least there they stated the G37 has the "most standard power in class" which is a great feature to mention.

(on a side note Porsche bought a huge 2 page ad in the center of the WSJ with a Black Turbo Cayenne explaining how its 400lbs lighter and its performance. It is stunning.).

Old 06-26-10, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
For what it's worth, in one of my advertising classes last semester we did a Lexus vs. Infiniti case study from 1990 and discussed how badly Infiniti missed the mark.

Sad when the company is used as a case study on failure
Some of the Infinitis did OK in the marketplace (The G-series, for example, has been arguably their most succesful product); but, yes, several Infiniti models, no doubt, did poorly. This would obviously include the Q45, G20, and the original M30, with the J30 only slightly better. The big QX56 SUV, unlike the rival Lexus LX series, was also stuck with poor reliability.
Old 06-26-10, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike the first gen advertised the infamous "rocks and trees" campaign actually, known as one of the worst ad campaigns in auto history. The LS had the champagne flute ad in comparison, an ad so legendary Lexus used the glass the with the LFA.
True, the champagne ad worked, but that wasn't the only one. Remember the one with the tiny ball rolling down the LS's precisely-spaced body-panel gaps? And, of course, many others since then.

(I vaguely remember the Rocks and Trees ads, BTW...not very well).

But the main reason people chose the LS over the Q45 (and, perhaps, I should have been clearer in my last post...maybe I didn't phrase it very well), was the difference in sound isolation and road manners between the two. This was before the Great Age of Sport Sedans, with emphasis on handling, had set in, a number of the people looking at (and buying) the LS400 had previously driven cloud-like Cadillac De Villes and Lincoln Town Cars, but, after enduring Detroit's poor quality of the time, wanted something with better quality/engineering.

Back to the OP, though, have you had a chance to drive a new M56? If so, what was your reaction? I said before that I think a new Q-series flagship would be more appropriate, but I'll withold any more comments until I see the new M. I haven't gotten any specific CL review requests on it, but might look at it just out of curiosity.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 02:44 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Advertising in Georgia is pointless, people with some disposable income are more interested in buying slightly used Full Size SUV and Pickups, this is not a new car market, and it's not a Luxury Car market, you see nice cars, but the middle ground of cars costing 40-60k are absent here.
Old 06-26-10, 02:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
It's an actual observation. Don't confuse it with a car review. (just helping you out there, in case it's needed)
Old 06-26-10, 06:52 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone mentioned the M being the Infiniti "flagship"... I'm not sure what Infiniti's flagship is. It was the Q45, but that flag got burned down a few years back, so I guess the M might be the flagship by virtue of the captain being killed off. I don't consider an SUV to be the "flagship" of any make, except say the LR Range Rover, which purely makes SUVs (and Hummer perhaps).

M being the flagship is like if Lexus were to discontinue the LS and GS taking over the ranks... just does not cut it.
Old 06-26-10, 07:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In the C&D comparo mentioned above, the M37 RWD stickered at $60k!! More than the BMW 5 or Audi A6. Close to flagship pricing but not really a flagship IMO.
Old 06-26-10, 09:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Advertising in Georgia is pointless, people with some disposable income are more interested in buying slightly used Full Size SUV and Pickups, this is not a new car market, and it's not a Luxury Car market, you see nice cars, but the middle ground of cars costing 40-60k are absent here.
I completely disagree especially with every Tom, **** and Larry with a G35 today. Atlanta is a huge luxury car market and Infiniti has what 4 dealers here? FYI the WSJ is national, not a Georgia publication.

Old 06-26-10, 10:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It doesn't matter how they market or advertise their products. The simple fact remains their cars and SUV's look soft, strange, frumpy, or both. Until they change their styling direction, nothing is going to matter.
Old 06-27-10, 10:52 AM
KC83
Driver School Candidate

the only advantage for me is to wait for more discounts for a M56
Old 06-27-10, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Atlanta is a huge luxury car market and Infiniti has what 4 dealers here?
Pretty much the same here in the luxury-car-rich D.C. area, Mike. Lexus has only 4 reasonably-close dealerships (2 in the VA suburbs, 2 in the MD suburbs)...about the same with Infiniti and Acura. For one thing, it's relatively hard to get an upmarket-Japanese-brand franchise because of the (usual) insistance that only that brand be sold, with no dual-brands. Saturn, when it was in operation, was the same way....Saturn only. Many dealer owners, today, don't want to operate like that....they want their hands in two or more cookie jars, not just one.

Quick Reply: Infiniti still doesn't get it and has dropped the ball on the M37/56