Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new BMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 10:58 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new BMW

Now if it will just stop raining.
Old 06-13-10, 12:02 AM
FBTO
Pole Position

Sweet 1000rr ! Congrats
Old 06-13-10, 06:19 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

That is straight SEXY!!! I wish I could justify upgrading from my 2006 CBR1000RR to that.
Old 06-13-10, 08:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Damn I've always been a fan of BMW motorcycles, but more in a cross between an awkward ugly-duckling (boxer models) and classic elegance (4-cylinder sport tourers, etc) sort of way. But that thing is straight SICK!! When did they start making badass superbikes?

Seriously that thing gives the MV Agusta F4 a run for its money as most gorgeous sportbike ever made. Congrats dude.
Old 06-13-10, 09:40 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

damn that looks real nice i like it
Old 06-13-10, 09:49 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

nice bike!
Old 06-13-10, 12:37 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

congratz
Old 06-13-10, 12:48 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Thanks guys.

BMW has been making superbikes, but this is the first one to break tradition from shaft drive, and in fact use the Japanese design conventions, like inline 4 cylinder, chain drive etc. That brought a lot of criticism to BMW, not so much from its own fans who seem very complimentary and happy to see the brand now competing with the big 4 and Ducati, Aprillia, MV and KTM, but from others who see this representing a failure to achieve success without going conventional.

Regardless, the intent was conquest sales from the big 4 owners, which is where I came from. This bike feels immediately familiar if you've been on any Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha superbike.

But what's happened, is that sales from the big 4 have stagnated, Suzuki isn't even importing 2010 models until dealers clear out unsold 2009s, Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha have made only minor cosmetic changes to existing models. But meanwhile, the battle is from European manufacturers have jumped in to exploit the gap with traction control, fly by wire, and over the top horsepower and handling.

The vitals on the BMW s1000RR:

455 pounds wet
193 hp @ 13,200 rpm
ABS
Dynamic Traction Control
Shift Assistant
0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds
0 - 1/4 mile in 9.57 secs at 156.05 mph (Motorcyclist July 2010)
Top Speed = 188 mph (Cycle World July 2010)

The BMW has 4 levels of rider controls that can be selected:

Rain Mode - Limits horsepower to 150, early intervention of ABS and DTC.

Sport Mode - Permits full horsepower output, ABS will prevent rear wheel from lifting under braking, and DTC will prevent front wheel from lifting under acceleration, acceleration limited while leaned over.

Race Mode - Permits rear wheel to lift under braking, and controlled wheelies under acceleration, sliding the tire out of corners, progressively limits acceleration with increasing lean angles.

Slick Mode - For use with slick tires, least intrusive interference from ABS and DTC systems, permits large wheelies for 5 seconds, stoppies, limits acceleration at 53 degree lean angle.

Both ABS and DTC can be switched off completely at any time.
Old 06-13-10, 02:05 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

congrats it looks sick!
Old 06-13-10, 02:15 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! Eye turning design. Love the bike, now it makes me want a BMW bike
Old 06-13-10, 02:33 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how BMW was the first to have ABS in the 90's and DTC..... Awesome bike...
Old 06-13-10, 06:09 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I hate you, not really, but I am jealous. I want this bike with the ///M sport colors. When did you get it. Already have a Remus? Nice, very nice.
Old 06-13-10, 08:02 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Thank you. I got it Friday week before last. It was on the floor at BMW of Denver as shown, including the Remus slip-on exhaust, BMW carbon fiber fenders, smoke windscreen, frame sliders and swingarm spools. It was shown at the Denver Auto Show in April. The accessories were overpriced, but it's what I wanted so I splurged.

These bikes are in good supply and reasonably priced all things considered. They can be purchased for a good deal less, without the ABS, DTC or shift assistant. But I kind of felt I might regret not getting those features, since BMW is heavily vested in the technology. And as a street rider, if it prevents an accident or a fall just once, it more than pays for itself.

With shift assistant, you can upshift without the clutch by just clicking up on the toe shifter. It blips the engine imperceptibly by cutting spark or fuel, allowing a very fast shift. The engine redline is 14,000 rpm, and rev limiter cuts in at 14,200. To avoid the distraction of having to watch the rpm needle at a time when the rider is very busy controlling the motorcycle, there is a shift light. You can program the point the shift light turns on and off at. You can also set the light to blink. It also has a sort of launch control, when you are at rest and give it some gas with the clutch pulled in, the shift light comes on at the optimum rpm for a power launch. Depending on the selected driving mode, rain-sport-race-slick, the system will intervene to bring a wheelie under control.

The bike senses the front wheel coming up, the rear wheel coming up, and the lean angle. It does this with a gyroscope, so it always knows where the horizon is. It will adjust the throttle or brakes as necessary.

The brakes are linked, so that pressure on the front hand lever applies some braking to the rear as well. I didn't think I'd like that, but found that I do like it. It can be disabled by switching ABS Off.
Old 06-13-10, 08:18 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's one fantastic machine, absolutely stunning.
Old 06-13-10, 08:35 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Here's a pic viewed from the other side.

Quick Reply: My new BMW