Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

witness to a horrible accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 07:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately a terrifying experience. I think you earned a good citizen kudos today.

I witnessed one once when I was 19. Naturally I pulled over and I could not get traffic to stop so that I could cross the road to reach the wreck. Some people are unbelievable.
Old 06-14-10, 08:15 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commend you for being the good samaritan that you are LEXMENOW.

My thinking is if I don't wear my seatbelt, I'm putting myself at risk because of the careless actions of another driver or even much worse a drunk driver. I put in on even though I believe that I'm a good driver.
Old 06-14-10, 09:47 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Thanks for sharing this story! Props to you for stopping and going out of your way to help.

Seems nowadays, most people won't stop to help someone in this type of situation because everyone thinks "someone else will stop."
Old 06-15-10, 03:51 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Oh man your the second person that said that. Officer said that to me. Man I will be pissed if I get sued...... and for what.

YOU'RE fine

http://www.cprinstructor.com/GA-GS.htm
Old 06-15-10, 06:05 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Corey140
cool thanks well then no one has an excuse not to stop.
Old 06-15-10, 07:17 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

That covers certified physicians, EMT's, etc. It does NOT cover those individuals who render aid who are not certified first responders, CPR certified, etc. Just something to consider. I think it's BS that anyone can be sued for rendering aid, but we can thank our liberal society for that little gem.
Old 06-15-10, 10:34 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
That covers certified physicians, EMT's, etc. It does NOT cover those individuals who render aid who are not certified first responders, CPR certified, etc. Just something to consider. I think it's BS that anyone can be sued for rendering aid, but we can thank our liberal society for that little gem.
You can still stop and guide police/ambulance to the scene.
Old 06-15-10, 10:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The general idea is: if you do good to the best of your abilities, then you're covered.

If you half-*** your intentions, and do something that you know is questionable, then you're not.

For example, if someone is bleeding and you apply a clean towel, you're fine. If you grab used cleaning rags in the back of your car, you're not.
Old 06-15-10, 12:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

It comes down to obtaining consent. So if you go into an accident and the person says don't pull me out (fear of worsening the injury) and you do so then you can be sued.

If a person in unconscious and not breathing then you can perform CPR on them and be protected in most instances. However, if the person is a minor (under 14 IIRC) then you cannot perform CPR on them without obtaining consent from the parents. Now if I pull a kid out of the water who isn't breathing and there is no one around, I'm gonna do CPR. It's a matter of morals and using common sense, but there are definately still gray areas.
Old 06-15-10, 12:58 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
cool thanks well then no one has an excuse not to stop.
In case people are too lazy to click on the link (I'm lazy):

Georgia Good Samaritan Act

Code of Georgia, §31-11-8

Liability of persons rendering emergency care; liability of physicians advising ambulance service pursuant to Code Section 31-11-50; limitation to gratuitous services.

Any person, including agents and employees, who is licensed to furnish ambulance service and who in good faith renders emergency care to a person who is a victim of an accident or emergency shall not be liable for any civil damages to such victim as a result of any act or omission by such person in rendering such emergency care to such victim.
A physician shall not be civilly liable for damages resulting from that physician's acting as medical adviser to an ambulance service, pursuant to Code Section 31-11-50, if those damages are not a result of that physician's willful and wanton negligence.
The immunity provided in this Code section shall apply only to those persons who perform the aforesaid emergency services for no remuneration.

(Code 1933, §§88-3114, enacted by Ga. L. 1972, p. 625, §1; Ga. L. 1982, p. 692, §§1, 2.)

Code of Georgia §51-1-29

Liability of persons rendering emergency care.

Any person, including any person licensed to practice medicine and surgery pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 34 of Title 43 and including any person licensed to render services ancillary thereto, who in good faith renders emergency care at the scene of an accident or emergency to the victim or victims thereof without making any charge therefor shall not be liable for any civil damages as a result of any act or omission by such person in rendering emergency care or as a result of any act or failure to act to provide or arrange for further medical treatment or care for the injured person.

(Ga. L. 1962, p. 534, §1.)
Turby