Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Jaguar XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 07:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just so that everyone knows, the Jaguar Leaper is an option.

It may not have been standard due to certain markets' pedestrian safety laws.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2011 Jaguar XJ-leaper.jpg  
Old 06-15-10, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike.
Thanks.

A shame Jaguar doesn't allow for a nice comfy suspension standard and a sport suspension optional. I have also read of some complaining that its sport one way or the other and some don't want that in a Jag.
It's not sports-car harsh like, say, a Honda S2000 , but somewhat firmer than I expected in a non-supercharged XJ. The 45 series tires (40 on the supercharged models) don't help either.....55s would (probably) be more in line with the base car.

On my particular sample, the tires had been sitting in the sun for a couple of hours before I drove it, and that, no doubt, made the air inside expand and pumped up the PSIs a little...3 or 4 pounds over where they normally are, cold. That, of course, stiffens things a little, too....I try to take things like that into consideration when I try out the ride/handling.

The interior is lovely isn't it!
How else could the interior be?.........It's a Jaguar. And, unlike many luxury cars today, it's got enough chrome inside to be Elvis Presley's Cadillac.

Would you spring for the LWB model and skip the SWB one that you drove?
If I was riding in the back set and being chauffered, definitely.....you have to see my circus-clown, mens'-size-15 shoes to know how I appreciate leg/footroom in back, and what it's like getting them in and out of footwells..

The LWB option, as I noted, also includes fold-down wood tables like a Rolls-Royce. But the LWB runs some REAL money.....supercharged/second-level (510 HP), you can pay 100K or more. For that, you could get a Lexus LS600 LH....a (likely) far more reliable car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-10 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Just so that everyone knows, the Jaguar Leaper is an option.

It may not have been standard due to certain markets' pedestrian safety laws.
Thanks, Phil. I didn't see it in the sales brochure, but it's useful to know that. Looks like that leaping-cat issue really opened up Pandora's Box, not just with me but a number of other posters as well.

I don't see, though, where ped-safety laws should prevent hood ornaments, unless they are very sharp-pointed or could cause puncture injuries. The days of the fixed, bolted-on ornaments are long gone. All of them now, by law, are spring-loaded for pedestrian impact (that, of course, makes them easier for teens to steal as well...a widespread fad).

Rolls-Royce has (perhaps) the best answer, though, no doubt, an expensive one. Those Flying Lady ornaments, at the push of a button, retract down into a compartment built into the grille.
Old 06-15-10, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Excellent review of a fine car mmarshall, thanks!
Thanks. I put a lot of time and effort into them, but, even so, I occasionally miss some data or make a typo.

I like the lines on the car and the interior looks very nice.
Jags have always sold on their looks....I'm sure this one will, too. The roofline, though, on the new XJ, IMO, is simply too low and too raked. It impacts on rear headroom, rear vision, and the trunk-lid opening.

As for the leaping cat on the hood, I remember when my dad bought his 84 XJ6 Vanden Plas new that the leaping cat was a dealer installed option. Hopefully it still is as I agree with you and Phil that every Jag should have one of these on the front.
Phil found some data showing it as an option in some markets...see his post above.
Old 06-15-10, 09:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So much for the advantages of "light-weight aluminum"...in this application at least. The thing weighs as much as an LS and gets worse gas mileage. I remember Jaguar claiming that it would have best-in-class MPG but I guess they dropped that after reality hit.

Nice review, Mike.
Old 06-15-10, 09:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Rolls-Royce has (perhaps) the best answer, though, no doubt, an expensive one. Those Flying Lady ornaments, at the push of a button, retract down into a compartment built into the grille.
I believe it's a $20,000 option for RR.

I don't see, though, where ped-safety laws should prevent hood ornaments, unless they are very sharp-pointed or could cause puncture injuries.
The Jaguar leaper is pretty sharp and pointy...

Old 06-15-10, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Nice review, Mike.
Thanks.

So much for the advantages of "light-weight aluminum"...in this application at least.
The XJ's unibody frame, per specs, is pressure-cast from a mixture of aluminum/magnesium, but, to be honest, it's hard to tell what kind of sheet metal the body parts are....aluminum or lightweight sheet steel. The hood and trunk lid feel somewhat more solid (to me at least) than the doors and fenders.

The thing weighs as much as an LS and gets worse gas mileage. I remember Jaguar claiming that it would have best-in-class MPG but I guess they dropped that after reality hit.
I think there's more to it than just weight....though you're correct that 4000-4300 lbs. is a little porky. The standard 385 HP 5.0 V8, even without the superchargers, has a LOT of torque......more than enough for that 2-ton weight. I said in the review that I think its published 380 ft-lbs. may (?) be underrated in the torque department. And, of course, combine power and heavy vehicle weight, and, in general, all else equal, you have a formula for fuel use. The LS, of course, doesn't have 500-HP options, either, like the Jag does.
Old 06-15-10, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I believe it's a $20,000 option for RR.
To us, that's real money, but, for the Rolls-Royce clientele passing the Grey Poupon out the windows, that's chump change.

The Jaguar leaper is pretty sharp and pointy...

Maybe. The cat's teeth, however, seem to point up and down rather than forward and out where they are more likely to cause injury.

If you want to see something REALLY outrageous, and dangerous to pedestrians (though it is in the back of the car), the fins on the 1959 Cadillac were notorious. There were cases of bikers, skateboarders, etc.....getting impaled on them. Ralph Nader used those fins as one of the factors in his well-known 1960's safety-crusade.

Old 06-15-10, 09:54 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was mostly focusing on just the weight itself and fuel economy. If they had been able to pull off 3800-3900lbs that would really be impressive but considering that it tips the weight at some 4,100lbs, I just don't see the real benefit in "weight-saving" aluminum.
Old 06-15-10, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I was mostly focusing on just the weight itself and fuel economy. If they had been able to pull off 3800-3900lbs that would really be impressive but considering that it tips the weight at some 4,100lbs, I just don't see the real benefit in "weight-saving" aluminum.
What benefits there are (or were) from the aluminum-magnesium-combination are also probably countered by the sheer amount of trim and equipment in the interior. This car has wood, chrome, accessories, electric motors, and other trim/equipment just about everywhere you look inside. That, of course, adds weight. And, if they get around do doing an AWD option (which, IMO, is a good idea), that will likely add even more weight.

(And, yes, the big-cat hood ornament everyone wants put back on will add probably several MORE pounds)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-10 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews (by CL-member request): Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Equus.

A few Ford Fiestas (probably factory-owned demos) have reached some East Coast dealerships, but nothing reasonably close to the D.C. area yet.
Old 06-15-10, 05:22 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Excellent review of a fine car mmarshall, thanks!

I like the lines on the car and the interior looks very nice.

As for the leaping cat on the hood, I remember when my dad bought his 84 XJ6 Vanden Plas new that the leaping cat was a dealer installed option. Hopefully it still is as I agree with you and Phil that every Jag should have one of these on the front.
LOL I remember my mom's Black on Black XJ and I absolutely loved the hood. Always thought it was cooler than the already cool MB Star. Never realized that these were options even back then. I just figured these were standard. Loved the Cat hated the breakdowns.
Old 06-15-10, 05:41 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next planned reviews (by CL-member request): Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Equus.

A few Ford Fiestas (probably factory-owned demos) have reached some East Coast dealerships, but nothing reasonably close to the D.C. area yet.
Not sure about the Fiesta. But I'm dying to know more about the Hyundai flagship. This car is on my mind especially after seeing what they have done as of late (Genesis).
Old 06-15-10, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Not sure about the Fiesta.
I got several CL requests for a Fiesta review......plus, I want to see and drive the car for myself (I saw two of them at the D.C. Auto show, out on the floor, but both were locked up). In Europe, they are falling in love with it.....the Fiesta has been the top-selling car so far this year.

But I'm dying to know more about the Hyundai flagship. This car is on my mind especially after seeing what they have done as of late (Genesis).
The prototype Equus they had at the D.C. Auto Show last winter, open but up on the turntable, was quite impressive, at least looking at it from the floor. But.....the show car may or may not be the final version that makes it into production.

Old 06-15-10, 06:09 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thorough review. I appreciate the effort you put in these right-ups.
However, I have to note that a lot of the issues on your list of minus's are issues only to you.
I've checked this car out as well and I loved everything about the interior. I don't care about all wheel drive options. Don't care about fold down rear seats...and many other minus issue you raised.
I like it's plush but sporty demeanor. I thought the interior was best in it's class. Loved the pop-up shifter. I loved the rounded edge, bullet-like shape. It's unique and beautiful. Loved the low roofline. I'm glad they didn't put the pouncing cat on the hood. Instead, the whole car looks like a pouncing cat. It's a car I can see myself driving. Actually, I'm hoping the wife likes it. She's hankering for an S-Class but I'd rather the new cat.
I'm taking her to see it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Jaguar XJ