Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Jaguar XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 06:31 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I didnt even know this car was on sale
Old 06-15-10, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Another thorough review. I appreciate the effort you put in these right-ups.
Thanks.

However, I have to note that a lot of the issues on your list of minus's are issues only to you.
I've checked this car out as well and I loved everything about the interior. I don't care about all wheel drive options. Don't care about fold down rear seats...and many other minus issue you raised.
Granted, the Munchkin-size trunk (by full-size car standards) probably isn't a big deal for, say, a single person (like me) who doesn't lug around that much, but for a family and pets going on a two-week vacation, it's a bit of a sardine can. When I review a car, I have to think about more than just myself....or just you and me, for that matter.

I like it's plush but sporty demeanor. I thought the interior was best in it's class. Loved the pop-up shifter. I loved the rounded edge, bullet-like shape. It's unique and beautiful. Loved the low roofline. I'm glad they didn't put the pouncing cat on the hood. Instead, the whole car looks like a pouncing cat. It's a car I can see myself driving.
The interior, as you note, is indeed A-one in both looks and material quality. Glad you liked the pop-up shifter ****. I still think it's a gimmick, but I'll give it credit for one thing........it beats the odd, awkward J-shaped shifters of Jaguars past. Those, like the BMW electronic shifters, were, IMO, a PITA. As for the low roofline, even over and above the (possible) headroom issues, some people have to decide what's more important.....looking AT their cars or looking OUT of them. I myself prefer the latter.

Actually, I'm hoping the wife likes it. She's hankering for an S-Class but I'd rather the new cat. I'm taking her to see it this weekend.
I haven't driven the latest S-Class, but the previous S-Class, like the Lexus LS460, was known for a smooth, quiet ride........so, if your wife likes comfort, that (or an LS460) will probably be the way to go. Even without having driven a new S-class, though, I'm confident that you both will both find the XJ much sportie, and quicker-handling. But unlike the S-Class, in the XJ, you will feel and hear the bumps. So, that's something you and her are going to have to decide on.

When you test-drive the XJ, though, check the cramped rear vision from the rear roofline (that's one of the negatives I listed). I think you will agree with me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-10 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 07:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will do....
Old 06-16-10, 10:31 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Outstanding review again, Mike! Reaching driving age just about the time the first import wave broke on our shores, I've always had a warm spot in my heart for Euro-cars. British cars exuded class, whether a once-affordable Morgan, an upscale Jag, or an impeccable Jensen-Healey or Aston-Martin. Your tolerence for creaky wood frames, oil drips, and Lucas electrics had to be high, but they fairly shouted, custom-built. In subdued tones, of course.

Alfas were the poor man's Ferrari, despite Lancia's claims to the title. They may have been as practical as a glass hammer, and burned their way through oil by the case, but they had soul like nothing else. Nothing substitutes for an Alfa Spyder blatting the overrun on a country road enjoying clipping the apex and howling away through the gears on a damp 7am romp.

German Porsches, Mercedes, and Auto-Unions (Audi) were all-Prussian . . . You could almost hear them snap to attention and click their heels when you turned the key, but they were completely cold and soulless for all of their incredible engineering.

Scandinavia's Volvo and Saabs were strange - possessed of fine build quality and excellent finish - but for years hobbled by tiny powerplants that in the Saab even included a 2-cycle buzz-plant that was capable of laying a smokescreen that would do a Spruance-class naval destroyer proud.

French cars were quirky - as though developed and produced on the far side of the moon. Peugots, Citroens, and Renaults were peculiar little moon-buggys that were far advanced in engineering, with bungee cord suspensions and pushbutton brakes, but they were often unsuited for the American road. Now if we only had more cobblestone roads . . . .

Japan brought the first examples of their automotive products to the US a few years later. They marketed a series of what for them were large cars, but they were still subcompacts by our standards. Fit and finish were always good, but they were sadly underpowered for sustained hammering along our freeways. Like most of their European counterparts, large numbers succumbed to high-speed long-distance travel - requisites that were unknown at home. It took years of product development for Honda and Toyota to arrive at a proper "American" car.

Korea seems to have shortened the learning curve, and is producing fine cars with very little market experience. We look forward to what expanding "globalization" will do to the Asian automakers. Now if we can just get them an Italian soul transplant . . .
Old 06-16-10, 10:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Another amazing review from mmarshall. You have done an amazing job. I know many people appreciate it but I still dont think people realize how much time goes into these write ups. Thanks buddy!!!! CL is lucky to have you
Old 06-16-10, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Outstanding review again, Mike!
Thanks.

Reaching driving age just about the time the first import wave broke on our shores, I've always had a warm spot in my heart for Euro-cars. British cars exuded class, whether a once-affordable Morgan, an upscale Jag, or an impeccable Jensen-Healey or Aston-Martin. Your tolerence for creaky wood frames, oil drips, and Lucas electrics had to be high, but they fairly shouted, custom-built. In subdued tones, of course.

Alfas were the poor man's Ferrari, despite Lancia's claims to the title. They may have been as practical as a glass hammer, and burned their way through oil by the case, but they had soul like nothing else. Nothing substitutes for an Alfa Spyder blatting the overrun on a country road enjoying clipping the apex and howling away through the gears on a damp 7am romp.
I'm sure that you remember the old FIAT (Fix it Again, Tony) joke, and the jokes about the average Jaguar catching fire only once on a coast-to-coast trip.

German Porsches, Mercedes, and Auto-Unions (Audi) were all-Prussian . . . You could almost hear them snap to attention and click their heels when you turned the key, but they were completely cold and soulless for all of their incredible engineering.
In the 50s and 60's, NOTHING was built like a Mercedes. They were, IMO, the best-built production cars in the world at that time. I had a chance, despite my youth, to sample a few here and there. Their production tolerances and overall build quality (for the standards of the time) were nothing short of astounding. Chrysler, however, had a couple of powertrain combinations (especially the Slant Six), with the 3-speed Torqueflite automatic, that could more or less compare in long-term powetrain durability.

Scandinavia's Volvo and Saabs were strange - possessed of fine build quality and excellent finish - but for years hobbled by tiny powerplants that in the Saab even included a 2-cycle buzz-plant that was capable of laying a smokescreen that would do a Spruance-class naval destroyer proud.
Yep.....we used to call those 2-cycle, 3-cylinder Saabs the "'Ring-a-Ding-Ding" machines because of the silly, high-pitched, nasal sounds the tiny engine made when revved up and when you let off the gas. Standard refuelings, at the gas station, consisted of 8 gallons of regular-leaded gas and a can of factory-approved oil in the gas tank. But the Saab's FWD (unusual in those days, except for Saabs, Renault/Citroen, and the Olds Toronado/Caddy Eldorado) did get you through winter weather with minimal problems.

As far as the fit/finish you mentioned, the cheap but quirky air-cooled Beetle offered superb fit/finish and build quality for under $2000 brand-new.....but it had several annoyances as well.

French cars were quirky - as though developed and produced on the far side of the moon. Peugots, Citroens, and Renaults were peculiar little moon-buggys that were far advanced in engineering, with bungee cord suspensions and pushbutton brakes, but they were often unsuited for the American road. Now if we only had more cobblestone roads . . . .
French cars had the seat and riding comfort I liked, but don't even get me started on their dash/steering column controls.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Another amazing review from mmarshall.
Thanks, friend.

You have done an amazing job. I know many people appreciate it but I still dont think people realize how much time goes into these write ups. Thanks buddy!!!! CL is lucky to have you
I do put time and effort into them, but I'm also fortunate to have the time and resources to do so, living in the second-largest auto market in the country, behind L.A. I have even more time today, now that I'm retired, though I also did some shorter, less-comprehensive reviews while I was still working, and have been actually checking out and evaluating cars since I was a teen-ager, in the 60s. But my reviews aren't perfect by any means..........I still occasionally leave some things out or make a typo (sharp-eyed CL members sometimes will correct or add things I leave out).

Other CL members also do a good job in their write-ups, particularly Mike (1SICKLEX). And he has more opportunities to drive under lap/track conditions than I do.....so does Ryan (flipside909). My write-ups cover mostly street driving, and give a long, general description of the car from stem to stern.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-10 at 04:20 PM.