Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Miss My Lexus...(who remembers this car, haha!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 03:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I Miss My Lexus...(who remembers this car, haha!)

I know it wasnt the prettiest thing on 4 wheels, nor was it the nicest Lexus ever, But I was 18 years old, and It was MINE...

1990 ES250 Black Jade Metallic Pearl, with Cloth interior and Auto (VERY rare).

Here is how she met her end

Silverado=Bad.
Old 06-15-10, 05:41 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that sucks. Any plans on ever getting back in a lexus?
Old 06-15-10, 07:12 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a gray one on my block that is still going strong. I will take a pic of it tomorrow on my way in to work. I always feel like I'm at a museum when I walk by it.
Old 06-15-10, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Here is how she met her end

At first glance, this doesn't appear to be an enormous amount of damage...unless the unibody frame was bent (which usually doesn't happen with that type of impact unless severe). Any reason why it couldn't be repaired?...looks like it would need a new hood, insulation pad (if the pad can't be re-used), grille, and a few other front-end/headlight parts. Maybe the car was old enough that even this amount of damage was enough, in the eyes of the insurance company, to total it...especially if there WAS frame damage.

Even with a totalled car, though, you can take the settlement check and use it towards the repair, if you want to keep the car bad enough.
Old 06-15-10, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad picture, but the low resale value of that older car in relation to high repair costs killed it off unfortunately.
Old 06-15-10, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Even with a totalled car, though, you can take the settlement check and use it towards the repair, if you want to keep the car bad enough.
Note: The owner of the car has to pay incremental/additional cost or salvage value of the car to the insurance company if they want to keep the "totaled" car (and eventually repair it).

The settlement alone does not give the registered owner possession of the "totaled" car.
Old 06-15-10, 12:18 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and your car was a beauty. The 1990 ES 250 is a classic as was the original LS 400. Too bad a Silverado hit your ES 250. Hopefully you get another Lexus in the future...
Old 06-15-10, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The settlement alone does not give the registered owner possession of the "totaled" car.
I've seen cases where it does. A friend of mine, for example, talked the insurance company into totalling his damaged, rear-ended, CRX and allowing him to keep both the car AND the settlement check. But, in general, you're correct.

Sad picture, but the low resale value of that older car in relation to high repair costs killed it off unfortunately.
Yes, probably. But Josh has a lot of training, once worked in an Army motorpool, and could (maybe) do some of the repair work himself....at least the labor part. But, of course, it's up to him. Sometimes old vehicles aren't worth saving.....fix one thing, and something else breaks down the next day.
Old 06-15-10, 02:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I've seen cases where it does. A friend of mine, for example, talked the insurance company into totalling his damaged, rear-ended, CRX and allowing him to keep both the car AND the settlement check. But, in general, you're correct.

Yes, that scenario usually ends up with an reduction in the settlement amount (undisclosed or hidden since the insurance company has no obligation to share those details), but is easier to do with a low value/low payoff on a economy car. So the owner in that case is not getting the junk/salvage car for free, in fact he probably will pay more than what it's worth by having the cost buried in the final settlement.
Old 06-15-10, 11:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Damn that sucks. Any plans on ever getting back in a lexus?
Originally Posted by oohpapi44
There's a gray one on my block that is still going strong. I will take a pic of it tomorrow on my way in to work. I always feel like I'm at a museum when I walk by it.
At first glance, this doesn't appear to be an enormous amount of damage...unless the unibody frame was bent (which usually doesn't happen with that type of impact unless severe). Any reason why it couldn't be repaired?...looks like it would need a new hood, insulation pad (if the pad can't be re-used), grille, and a few other front-end/headlight parts. Maybe the car was old enough that even this amount of damage was enough, in the eyes of the insurance company, to total it...especially if there WAS frame damage.

Note: The owner of the car has to pay incremental/additional cost or salvage value of the car to the insurance company if they want to keep the "totaled" car (and eventually repair it).

Originally Posted by Trexus
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and your car was a beauty. The 1990 ES 250 is a classic as was the original LS 400. Too bad a Silverado hit your ES 250. Hopefully you get another Lexus in the future...

I had liability only, but I wish I would have kept her now!
Old 06-16-10, 12:20 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I miss mine too. Sister keeps getting into accidents in my old ES so I feel your pain
Old 06-17-10, 06:51 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was too bright out this morning for my cell phone to do the car justice but here you go.

Nice to see it everyday and know that this is where it all started. No major dings or dents and still has a nice shine to the paint (if the owner ever really decided to detail it, car would look phenomenal)

Old 06-17-10, 12:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahhh.. the ES250, the "other Lexus" when it first came out. Had a colleague that owned this when it came out. This to me started the whole "it's a luxury Camry" argument because the exterior even was totally Camry-esque.

Still thought, it was a solid car... just like other Toyotas.
Old 06-17-10, 01:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

man that sucks. I remember when I had a mint Prelude in college that was totaled when I was hit from behind and pushed under the SUV in front of me. The car looked like an accordian but it still started right up and I drove it to class , took my final, and drove it 35 miles home. Its sad when these vehicles that we love so much get taken away from us because some stupid driver couldn't pay attention