Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WSJ:Acura Flagship Performs Well, But Doesn’t Inspire Lust

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 11:10 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I almost totally disagree with everything you have stated. It obvious you haven't compare the two cars side by side.
The problem with the RL is not that it's overpriced. The problem with the RL is that it's ugly and the style is bland.
The RL is a Accord based luxury car.
The ES is a Camry based luxury car.

Where's the confusion? I've sat inside the RL and it has a nice interior design (pretty much the same as the Honda Accord's but with wood instead of plastic), but the base model RL is filled with fake wood, compared to the ES's real wood. Mind you the base RL costs $10K more than a base ES. You have to pay $10K for the pricey advanced package to get genuine maple wood trim...

A $55K Accord isn't worth it, and that's the point of the article.
Old 06-16-10, 11:23 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Bingo
Old 06-16-10, 11:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to agree that the car has all of the features that my GS has and the interior is great BUT the styling is what really really kills it for many consumers. I know when I looked my attitude was if I am paying 50k for a car I want it to look really nice. Not like a tarted up Accord. Then again there are people like my brother who is always looking for low key cars. He doesn't like flash and he avoids inciting envy. He is a perfect consumer for the RL .
Old 06-16-10, 12:39 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The RL is a Accord based luxury car.
The ES is a Camry based luxury car.

Where's the confusion? I've sat inside the RL and it has a nice interior design (pretty much the same as the Honda Accord's but with wood instead of plastic), but the base model RL is filled with fake wood, compared to the ES's real wood. Mind you the base RL costs $10K more than a base ES. You have to pay $10K for the pricey advanced package to get genuine maple wood trim...

Give me break it's so fun when people type that in their thread. The Acura RL is simply a better car than an ES. I don't care what it's based on.
It's a complete lie that it's pretty much the same as the Honda Accord.
The Acura RL is on the same level as a GS. You are running on too much hype that you have been hearing around here on this board. The Acura RL is not a great car but typing incorrect information to bring the car down is unfair.

The only reason you mention it's based on the Accord is because you saw someone else post that statement you don't even know if it's true are not or what parts are different. You just made that statement to once again bring down the car.
Old 06-16-10, 12:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure how you fail for with this car for 15 years and still can't figure what this buyer wants.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...-inspire-lust/

Why is this news? The current generation RL has been bland from the get-go. When I bought my 2000 TL, for the life of me, I couldn't understand what would possess someone to buy THAT generation RL over the TL for an extra $10,000.
Old 06-16-10, 12:48 PM
LexFather

Give me break it's so fun when people type that in their thread. The Acura RL is simply a better car than an ES. I don't care what it's based on.
The Acura RL is on the same level as a GS. You are running on too much hype that you have been hearing around here on this board. The Acura RL is not a great car but typing incorrect information to bring the car down is unfair.

The only reason you mention it's based on the Accord is because you saw someone else post that statement you don't even know if it's true are not or what parts are different. You just made that statement to once again bring down the car.
He didn't type anything incorrect. The RL is indeed based on the Accord global platform. He didn't say it wasn't in the GS class but his point is a strong one. The RL doesn't make much of a case over an ES 350 for 15-20k more.

The RL isn't a bad car but for $55,000 as tested here, do you feel it is 15-20k more of a car than an ES (or Lacrosse or even their own TL)? I think most would say no.

Whereas lies their problem for 15 years, their flagship doesn't present a substantial case over the lower priced competition let alone cars in its class.

The only reason I can think of getting a RL over the TL is b/c its made in Japan and not Ohio.

Old 06-16-10, 12:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
"Indeed, the RL has its fans and they like to say theirs is the thinking person’s car, not meant for conspicuous status seekers."

Right ohh, those people thought so hard and literally talked themselves out of buying the car.

Net result, sales approaching zero (when rounded to the nearest 1000 units per month), that's an amazing feat.
Oh--right. The RL is taking the place of Saabs and Volvos among university professors?
Old 06-16-10, 12:52 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, sir its a FACT that the RL is based on Honda's global midsize platform which is FWD and is the underpinning of the TSX (European Honda Accord), TL, Honda Accord, and various other Honda products worldwide.

The RL is in fact just a blatantly rebadged Honda Legend.
Old 06-16-10, 12:57 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Doesn't the Acura RL is heavily discounted so it's no-where near the $55k everyone was saying, more like mid-40's. No?
Old 06-16-10, 01:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when i was looking for a car back in 07, i looked at the RL, on paper it looks pretty good: 300hp/SH-AWD/all the techy toys in the car, basically a solid car... then i saw what it looked like~ *yawn*
Old 06-16-10, 01:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

If you want to match up by direct compeitors, then I'd analyze it this way:

The ES is priced to compete in the same "class" as the TL. Although the TL may be "sportier," they are both front drive "near" or "entry" luxury cars. If you buy a fully-loaded TL, with SHAWD, what does that cost--$45,000? What is $10,000 more getting you with the RL? I think it has nicer leather, but I'm not sure what else? So--you might as well just get at TL then. And if you are looking at a TL, then it's not unlikely that you are cross-shopping an ES, especially if you don't want AWD, and even more so if you want a less sporty ride.

I don't think the RL is a bad car. But I don't think that it's worth the upgrade from the "class" below it, regardless of wheher you want to label it an "Accord" or not.
Old 06-16-10, 01:29 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think a RL looks better than a TL and I've always been confused with what class the TL and RL is, on one hand I thought the TL was an IS competitor not an ES as it seems the TL is much more "sportier" than an ES will ever be. Secondly, I thought the RL was a GS/5/E competitor.

My girlfriend likes the RL, and despises the new TL. I'd say the same, but the RL does not invoke any positive feelings, it's a "meh" car, definitely not worth the price. If it was around the low $40k mark, I'd probably consider...
Old 06-16-10, 01:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
when i was looking for a car back in 07, i looked at the RL, on paper it looks pretty good: 300hp/SH-AWD/all the techy toys in the car, basically a solid car... then i saw what it looked like~ *yawn*
I had the same experience
Old 06-16-10, 01:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

May '10/YTD New Car Sales. Here's what the car buying public is saying:

RL: 151/709 (not looking too good)
TL: 2,925/14,080
ES: 5,115/18,643
Old 06-16-10, 02:00 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
He didn't type anything incorrect. The RL is indeed based on the Accord global platform. He didn't say it wasn't in the GS class but his point is a strong one. The RL doesn't make much of a case over an ES 350 for 15-20k more.

The RL isn't a bad car but for $55,000 as tested here, do you feel it is 15-20k more of a car than an ES (or Lacrosse or even their own TL)? I think most would say no.

Whereas lies their problem for 15 years, their flagship doesn't present a substantial case over the lower priced competition let alone cars in its class.

The only reason I can think of getting a RL over the TL is b/c its made in Japan and not Ohio.
I never said he was lying about that part. I said he only post that remark b/c you posted it here and you yourself only did it to downgrade the car. You yourself didn't fully explain the difference. I'm no Acura fan anymore but fact is fact. The Honda Accord is no way near the quality of the Acura RL.
When we talk price please don't go there. Is the S550 worth 10 -15k more than the LS460. Yes, it's obvious b/c it's a Benz and it looks better than the LS460 in imo. It’s a number of reasons the car didn’t sell but the most important one is style/bland. Is my CLS worth 10 - 12k more than E500? Not to some people but to me it does.
In the end Acura deserve to starve, the design team should be fired. But the top man had to sign off on it so it’s his fault.

Quick Reply: WSJ:Acura Flagship Performs Well, But Doesn’t Inspire Lust