Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should the Acura division, as we know it, be dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 10:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, Acura should delete a couple of failed models, fire the stylists, and implement the necessary automotive technology to be competitive. Dropping the entire division is not called for, especially if it remains profitable. None of us are privy to P/L statements by division (I don't think that is disclosed in external financial statements), so we can only speculate about profitability of the Acura division.
Old 06-17-10, 10:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

If Acura goes down, then so be it.

For my suggestions though:
-If you are sticking with V6 engines, then pls don't charge V8 prices
-Remove the fugly-*** grille (seriously, Power Plenum grille is a capital sin ).
-Promote more of their 6-speed A/T
-I hope that they can implement CVTs as well....though that's probably a stretch

HOWEVER

-Stick with permanent SH-AWD
IMHO, they did it right with the KB2 (by making it SH-AWD as standard). Personally, if they go with SH-AWD all the way, then they don't need RWD at all

Two cents
Old 06-17-10, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, Acura should delete a couple of failed models, fire the stylists, and implement the necessary automotive technology to be competitive. Dropping the entire division is not called for, especially if it remains profitable. None of us are privy to P/L statements by division (I don't think that is disclosed in external financial statements), so we can only speculate about profitability of the Acura division.
It's true that we don't have all the inside info (and, of course, SEC insider-trading laws prevent some of that info from being released or affecting stock buying/selling), but it is rather apparent that Acura doesn't seem to be losing huge amounts of money, even with low sales. We're not talking another GM or Chrysler here. But I don't see how the division as we know it, even with today's (apparant) profitability, can last forever if it keeps on doing what it has done for the last several years.
Old 06-17-10, 10:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's true that we don't have all the inside info (and, of course, SEC insider-trading laws prevent some of that info from being released or affecting stock buying/selling), but it is rather apparent that Acura doesn't seem to be losing huge amounts of money, even with low sales. We're not talking another GM or Chrysler here. But I don't see how the division as we know it, even with today's (apparant) profitability, can last forever if it keeps on doing what it has done for the last several years.
It has nothing to do with insider-trading laws. I won't try to simulate expertise on financial reporting of public companies here.

Agreed, Acura needs to address it's problems before the division starts generating unsustainable losses like Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer, Olds, etc.
Old 06-17-10, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It has nothing to do with insider-trading laws. I won't try to simulate expertise on financial reporting of public companies here.
OK...sorry. I may have misunderstood. I though you were refering to company-released inside financial info.

]
Old 06-19-10, 08:09 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I think they should keep the nameplate around. They surely have enough equity in the TL name. Unfortunately, one model isn't going to keep the brand afloat, and their current design direction isn't really helping. They need to go back to their roots and bring back excitement with cars like the second gen Legend and their Integra.
Old 06-19-10, 01:42 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, they should not drop Acura. If they've decided not to go Tier 1, meaning no RWD, no V8, no NSX, etc and have decided instead to go with "smart luxury", then here is what they should do:

1. Make SH-AWD standard on ALL of their vehicles.

2. Bring out the CSX and have that be their entry level model. Keep it 4 cylinder only and have it come standard with all the entry level goodies that you can only get with a loaded civic. Price it around $27,500, offer it in a sedan and a coupe version, and both will sell like hotcakes.

3. Make the TSX their bread and butter model. Offer it as a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder (as they are already doing), but offer a hybrid version and a coupe version to compete with the G37, IS-C. Starting price around $32,500.

4. Make the TL their flagship. It is their most popular product to date and making it their flagship is a no-brainer to me. Make it 6 cylinder only and offer a hybrid version. Starting price around $37,500.

5. Ditch the RL. It doesn't sell and it never will. It's too expensive and there is very little justification for someone to choose one over a loaded TL.

6. Get rid of that horrendous face across the board. There should be a serious effort from Honda/Acura to completely eliminate the Power Plenum grille by MY 2011. It has become a complete joke and is seriously affecting their brand perception. When you have your dealers painting them so as to minimize their ugliness, you have a serious problem on your hands that should be taken care of immediately. Why Acura has not already addressed this issue is beyond me. Do they think that it will eventually catch on? It will not. All new grilles should be stylish, yet conservative and should be retrofitted with the current body styles.

I think making these changes alone would give Acura the boost that it needs. It would certainly separate them from Lexus/Infiniti, as they would be offering AWD standard across the board on all of their models and could be considered the "fuel efficient" japanese luxury brand.
Old 06-19-10, 01:42 PM
LexFather

Acura is really getting desperate to sell cars. The entire lineup offers $0 pay leases. Wow.

$0 down payment, $0 security deposit, $0 first month's payment, $0 due at lease signing

http://www.acura.com/tools/shopping/...2010&zip=30080

That is something GM/Ford/Chrysler has offered in the past.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
No, they should not drop Acura. If they've decided not to go Tier 1, meaning no RWD, no V8, no NSX, etc and have decided instead to go with "smart luxury", then here is what they should do:

2. Bring out the CSX and have that be their entry level model. Keep it 4 cylinder only and have it come standard with all the entry level goodies that you can only get with a loaded civic. Price it around $27,500, offer it in a sedan and a coupe version, and both will sell like hotcakes.

3. Make the TSX their bread and butter model. Offer it as a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder (as they are already doing), but offer a hybrid version and a coupe version to compete with the G37, IS-C. Starting price around $32,500.

4. Make the TL their flagship. It is their most popular product to date and making it their flagship is a no-brainer to me. Make it 6 cylinder only and offer a hybrid version. Starting price around $37,500.

5. Ditch the RL. It doesn't sell and it never will. It's too expensive and there is very little justification for someone to choose one over a loaded TL.

6. Get rid of that horrendous face across the board. There should be a serious effort from Honda/Acura to completely eliminate the Power Plenum grille by MY 2011. It has become a complete joke and is seriously affecting their brand perception. When you have your dealers painting them so as to minimize their ugliness, you have a serious problem on your hands that should be taken care of immediately. Why Acura has not already addressed this issue is beyond me. Do they think that it will eventually catch on? It will not. All new grilles should be stylish, yet conservative and should be retrofitted with the current body styles.

I think making these changes alone would give Acura the boost that it needs. It would certainly separate them from Lexus/Infiniti, as they would be offering AWD standard across the board on all of their models and could be considered the "fuel efficient" japanese luxury brand.
AWD hurts fuel economy. It adds cost, weight and more drivetrain loss. By them adding hybrids all they are doing is copying Lexus who leads in luxury hybrids. That does not seperate them.

Leuxs and Infiniti offer AWD in all their sedans as well. Even the LS has AWD offered. So Acura offering it doesn't differentiate them either.

Not everyone wants AWD, Audi knows this and that is why it has always been optional. To make matters worse for Acura they never capitalized on SH-AWD (Torque vectoring) and now the competition is adding it to their vehicles.

The new Odyessy gains HIDs and will get the 6 speed auto. Its basically an Acura.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-19-10 at 01:48 PM.

Old 06-19-10, 03:12 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I think & hope Acura will be around for a long time. Honda has always been ultra conservative & maybe they are "staying the course" because of the economy which may turnout to be correct in the near future, but Acura has to know they have 1uped the debut of Chris Bangle's BMW design for least improved over previous generation.
Old 06-19-10, 03:45 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Ok your plan is kinda similar to mine with a few variances...

1. NO! SH-AWD should NOT be standard. Lincoln, Buick Volvo, and even Audi still offer FWD standard on most cars since most people don't need AWD.

2. Bringing the CSX to the US seems like pretty much a done deal. A price of $27.5K would be way too high for a what would essentially be a rebodied Civic. My hope is that they would at a minimum put a decently powered 2.0L or 2.4L engine with 160hp or so (the more the better). A price closer to $25K would be great because then it'd be the same price as a loaded Civic.

3. The TSX is probably the best sedan they offer now. a Coupe version would be welcome. A hybrid would be a failure though. Honda's IMA hybrid system is a joke and there's no way that it would be even a little competent against the Lincoln MKZ hybrid. IMO Honda shouldn't even try to go hybrid because if they do they'll just further embarrass themselves...

4. The TL is a great car only probably is it's too big for it's class and too ugly. Acura needs to get the TL back down to size and less ugly. the specs and current price are fine though.

5. No the RL needs to hang around. As I said in my first post the RL's problem is that it's way overpriced for what it offers. The RL should be Acura's equivalent of the Volvo S80 and Lincoln MKS. It needs to be a nice big V6 sedan for a price of $40K (about the same price as a loaded Maxima or Avalon).

6. All I can say is yup.

Acura will never be the epitome of Japanese luxury like they were for a short time at their launch. They'll always just be a nice ok brand of cars for people that want a decent reliable car with a few extra features. They're pretty mcuh destined to be the Japanese Lincoln/Volvo/Buick. The main thing for them now is being the BEST Lincoln/Volvo/Buick they can be and not repeat the mistakes they made when they were trying to go after Lexus/Audi/BMW.

Last edited by (Cj); 06-19-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 05:25 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura is really getting desperate to sell cars. The entire lineup offers $0 pay leases. Wow.

$0 down payment, $0 security deposit, $0 first month's payment, $0 due at lease signing

http://www.acura.com/tools/shopping/...2010&zip=30080

That is something GM/Ford/Chrysler has offered in the past.

AWD hurts fuel economy. It adds cost, weight and more drivetrain loss.
By them adding hybrids all they are doing is copying Lexus who leads in luxury hybrids. That does not seperate them.

Leuxs and Infiniti offer AWD in all their sedans as well. Even the LS has AWD offered. So Acura offering it doesn't differentiate them either.

Not everyone wants AWD, Audi knows this and that is why it has always been optional. To make matters worse for Acura they never capitalized on SH-AWD (Torque vectoring) and now the competition is adding it to their vehicles.

The new Odyessy gains HIDs and will get the 6 speed auto. Its basically an Acura.
I was car shopping a couple weeks ago with someone, and we went to test the RDX. It's now being offered with FWD, and the FWD gets a couple mpg better than the AWD version. Apparently, the FWD version is selling much better compared to the AWD version according to their sales staff. Makes sense to me - I doubt many RDX owners need AWD here in CA, and the 2 extra mpg is a 10% improvement.

Unfortunately for Acura, the RDX lease special was only $20 less per month than a 335i lease (found a great deal on a remaining '10 model with M sport package + navi), but with 0 down vs. about $2500 down for the bimmer. She ended up getting the bimmer.

As far as the Acura brand, Honda had the opportunity to make it a luxury/sport brand by branding the S2000 as an Acura. They didn't, and now the only Acura I myself would ever consider is an MDX. Too bad. Honda has really lost its way. If I were Honda's CEO, I'd roll through Acura's design center here in LA like Ari Gold with a paintgun, firing on and then literally firing every single person there. GTFO, now!

Btw, it's really sad when my almost 20 year old Acura gets more attention than anything they've got in the showroom. I parked in an area near the front of this dealership, and the only two cars in this area was my car and a new, fully loaded ZDX. I didn't see anyone looking at the ZDX...
Old 06-20-10, 02:05 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

@1SICK and CJ

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I personally would really WANT or wish for Acura (and possibly Honda as well) to for SH-AWD.

IMHO, there's nothing much wrong with going all AWD. Subaru followed that route and ALL of their cars are standard Symmetrical AWD (save for maybe for less than 1% like the Subaru Justy or R2......but that's a different matter).

In the case of Acura/Honda, I'm pro-AWD (hence why I personally do not appreciate rumors or speculation that the next RL would have RWD)

IMHO, RWD is not the only way to success (drive-train wise). Hence, why I believe that having 100% SH-AWD along their line would be an asset to them and not liability.

So yeah, I apologize for stating that but I'm really afraid that I have to disagree with the both of you on that point.

Peace out.....
Old 06-20-10, 03:58 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Ok your plan is kinda similar to mine with a few variances...

1. NO! SH-AWD should NOT be standard. Lincoln, Buick Volvo, and even Audi still offer FWD standard on most cars since most people don't need AWD.

2. Bringing the CSX to the US seems like pretty much a done deal. A price of $27.5K would be way too high for a what would essentially be a rebodied Civic. My hope is that they would at a minimum put a decently powered 2.0L or 2.4L engine with 160hp or so (the more the better). A price closer to $25K would be great because then it'd be the same price as a loaded Civic.

3. The TSX is probably the best sedan they offer now. a Coupe version would be welcome. A hybrid would be a failure though. Honda's IMA hybrid system is a joke and there's no way that it would be even a little competent against the Lincoln MKZ hybrid. IMO Honda shouldn't even try to go hybrid because if they do they'll just further embarrass themselves...

4. The TL is a great car only probably is it's too big for it's class and too ugly. Acura needs to get the TL back down to size and less ugly. the specs and current price are fine though.

5. No the RL needs to hang around. As I said in my first post the RL's problem is that it's way overpriced for what it offers. The RL should be Acura's equivalent of the Volvo S80 and Lincoln MKS. It needs to be a nice big V6 sedan for a price of $40K (about the same price as a loaded Maxima or Avalon).

6. All I can say is yup.

Acura will never be the epitome of Japanese luxury like they were for a short time at their launch. They'll always just be a nice ok brand of cars for people that want a decent reliable car with a few extra features. They're pretty mcuh destined to be the Japanese Lincoln/Volvo/Buick. The main thing for them now is being the BEST Lincoln/Volvo/Buick they can be and not repeat the mistakes they made when they were trying to go after Lexus/Audi/BMW.
1. It doesn't matter whether or not the customer needs AWD or not. It's still a strong selling point. What I'm trying to say here is that by Acura making their SH-AWD standard across the board, they can carve out a nice little place of their own and be known as the "AWD Luxury Brand". Similar to how Subaru is the AWD every day brand. Having AWD standard is a strong selling point for many buyers and by Acura setting that standard across their entire line, customers will begin to know that getting an Acura means that AWD will always be included in the price of their purchase (instead of an often expensive option, as it is with other brands).

2. Then why buy a loaded Civic when you can have a CSX for the same price? No, they would need to price it a bit higher to separate it from the Civic and of course, as per my suggestion, it would come standard with AWD, which would justify the $2,500 premium.

3. Granted, I agree that Honda's IMA is not the best hybrid system on the planet. However, offering a hybrid option on the TSX is still a smart move IMO. There's been a lot of talk that Honda is trying to improve their hybrid system anyway, so taking that into account, if they can improve upon it, then I think it should be an option on the TSX. They could even make it an option on the coupe, which would make it the first luxury hybrid coupe.

4. I actually think the size increase on the TL was a good move and would fit in with my suggestion to make it their flagship.

5. You think the RL should stick around? Ok, then tell me why one should pick an RL over a TL with the same specs and the same options. What would be the justification for the let's say $5,000-$7,000 premium? (seriously, I want to know what you think).
Old 06-20-10, 04:12 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

AWD hurts fuel economy. It adds cost, weight and more drivetrain loss. By them adding hybrids all they are doing is copying Lexus who leads in luxury hybrids. That does not seperate them.

Did I say that offering hybrids alone would separate them from Lexus? No, I did not. What I said was making ALL of the above changes that I suggested AND making AWD standard would separate them from Lexus/Infiniti. Lexus nor Infiniti have AWD standard on all of their vehicles. If Acura did so, then they would be doing something different from the other 2 brands (thus separating themselves, get it?).

Really? Funny, I don't recall AWD being offered in the ES (aka Lexus' bread and butter sedan).
Old 06-20-10, 09:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I was car shopping a couple weeks ago with someone, and we went to test the RDX. It's now being offered with FWD, and the FWD gets a couple mpg better than the AWD version. Apparently, the FWD version is selling much better compared to the AWD version according to their sales staff. Makes sense to me - I doubt many RDX owners need AWD here in CA, and the 2 extra mpg is a 10% improvement.

Unfortunately for Acura, the RDX lease special was only $20 less per month than a 335i lease (found a great deal on a remaining '10 model with M sport package + navi), but with 0 down vs. about $2500 down for the bimmer. She ended up getting the bimmer.

As far as the Acura brand, Honda had the opportunity to make it a luxury/sport brand by branding the S2000 as an Acura. They didn't, and now the only Acura I myself would ever consider is an MDX. Too bad. Honda has really lost its way. If I were Honda's CEO, I'd roll through Acura's design center here in LA like Ari Gold with a paintgun, firing on and then literally firing every single person there. GTFO, now!

Btw, it's really sad when my almost 20 year old Acura gets more attention than anything they've got in the showroom. I parked in an area near the front of this dealership, and the only two cars in this area was my car and a new, fully loaded ZDX. I didn't see anyone looking at the ZDX...
Fantastic post. The NSX which debuted over 20 years ago is still the best product they have produced. Anyone here can read NSXPrime and see those guys are completely disenchanted with Acura.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@1SICK and CJ

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I personally would really WANT or wish for Acura (and possibly Honda as well) to for SH-AWD.

IMHO, there's nothing much wrong with going all AWD. Subaru followed that route and ALL of their cars are standard Symmetrical AWD (save for maybe for less than 1% like the Subaru Justy or R2......but that's a different matter).

In the case of Acura/Honda, I'm pro-AWD (hence why I personally do not appreciate rumors or speculation that the next RL would have RWD)

IMHO, RWD is not the only way to success (drive-train wise). Hence, why I believe that having 100% SH-AWD along their line would be an asset to them and not liability.

So yeah, I apologize for stating that but I'm really afraid that I have to disagree with the both of you on that point.

Peace out.....
Good post but I disagree. As PVmike1 stated the FWD model is helping RDX sales b/c the price is lower and people simply don't need AWD. The RDX has been a another sales failure for them and adding FWD has helped slow the bleeding.

The TL AWD take rate is only 10-15%. 85-90% sold are FWD. So even as the TL offers it, most don't buy it.

The TSX V-6 is already a ridiculous 35k-39k car with options (the V-6 has flopped as well). Adding AWD would make it a $40,000+ TSX and people aren't buying $40,000 TLs or RLs.

AWD is not the answer.

Did I say that offering hybrids alone would separate them from Lexus? No, I did not. What I said was making ALL of the above changes that I suggested AND making AWD standard would separate them from Lexus/Infiniti. Lexus nor Infiniti have AWD standard on all of their vehicles. If Acura did so, then they would be doing something different from the other 2 brands (thus separating themselves, get it?).
I just feel it makes no sense to me to half *** the brand any longer. Just save the money and kill it and keep them as Hondas to battle Hyundai. If Acura was no longer made what would we miss? Pretty much nothing. Its not like they are going to make the brand anything worth separating, they continue to be Honda Plus and the Civic rebadge will only cement in peoples heads they are Honda Plus. All that talk for years and nothing came to light.

Really? Funny, I don't recall AWD being offered in the ES (aka Lexus' bread and butter sedan).
I did forget the ES. Which brings up a great point that Lexus doesn't depend on the Camry name and platform for all their cars and didn't depend on a AWD crutch like Acura does. They make separate RWD platforms for their other cars.

The take rate for AWD is LOW. Adding it adds cost, lowers MPG, adds complexity and most Americans don't desire it. (again the TL AWD take rate is 10-15%).

Quick Reply: Should the Acura division, as we know it, be dropped?