Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus is coming with an i pad instead of standard owners manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 12:05 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

The Equus is the biggest luxury bargain since the 1990 Lexus LS400. It will literally cost 10's of thousands less than its competition.

You could actually buy an Equus and a Sonata together instead of an individual S-class or 7-series.
So in a sense, you not only get a free iPad, but a free Sonata.
The Equus is going to be $55K. Here's what I wrote several months ago regarding that price:

I saw the proposed prices at genesisowners.com. They priced it about $5,000 too high. LS460s get discounted into the high $50Ks. I was offered a $70K LS460 for $59K a few days ago. Few are going to pick a Hyundai over a Lexus for less than $5K difference. If the Equus started at $49K-$50K MSRP and then discount a few thousand more from there, then it would be price competitive. But having sat in one, the LS seems much more refined. As one person said, "I bet 80% of Equus sales goes to Korean-American adjossis in southern California." I think he's going to be right.
Old 06-18-10, 01:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont know if an ipad is going to sell a car but it is a cool innovation no matter what company brought to market. I do agree with the comment that it will make the car a target for break ins.
Old 06-18-10, 08:40 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think the included ipad will make the car a target for break ins any more than every other luxury car. Everyone has an ipod in their car. From honda civics to Rolls Royces. I guess if the assumption is that every Equus will have it's ipad in the glove box, then maybe, but my assumption is that owners will actually use it/take it with them, not leave it in the car.

On another note, I don't think it will sell the Equus, you will buy an Equus because it is cheaper than its competitors for the same features, the ipad is just a bonus. (Whether is is cheap enough remains to be seen).

I agree with Fay, hyundai is just showing forward thinking. Just another luxury touch to add to the car.
Old 06-18-10, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
It's a cute gimmick, but not very practical. Plus, it could turn the car into a magnet for thieves. I'd much prefer they save the money and discount the price of the car. It is priced about $5000 too high for the marketplace.
I haven't reviewed the Equus yet (per CL-member request, it is on my review list), but I'll check this feature out when I do. But, on the surface, in the meantime, your argument here seems to make sense. There are just too many electronic gimmicks on many of today's new cars (especially upmarket ones), and this looks like just one more (possibly) unnecessary one.
Old 06-18-10, 10:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Please do buddy. An Equus review from you would be top notch
Old 06-18-10, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Please do buddy. An Equus review from you would be top notch
Thanks. I have several CL requests for it.......including yours. I'm just waiting for it to be released in my area.
Old 06-18-10, 02:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
\
You could actually buy an Equus and a Sonata together instead of an individual S-class or 7-series.
So in a sense, you not only get a free iPad, but a free Sonata.
That's a good idea. Instead of Equus, why don't we all get 10 Tata Nanos. We get 9 nanos for free. Too bad Tata doesn't come with ipads.
Old 06-18-10, 02:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

The Equus is going to be $55K. Here's what I wrote several months ago regarding that price:

I saw the proposed prices at genesisowners.com. They priced it about $5,000 too high. LS460s get discounted into the high $50Ks. I was offered a $70K LS460 for $59K a few days ago. Few are going to pick a Hyundai over a Lexus for less than $5K difference. If the Equus started at $49K-$50K MSRP and then discount a few thousand more from there, then it would be price competitive. But having sat in one, the LS seems much more refined. As one person said, "I bet 80% of Equus sales goes to Korean-American adjossis in southern California." I think he's going to be right.
I totally agree with you. I think Equus has to be in the mid 40s (actual selling price) to be able to sell. This car main target is LS, and it has to be priced way below the LS for the potential customers to even take a look at it. Forget about typical S and 7 buyers. Most of them don't even look at LS unless they are sick of the reliability issues.
Old 06-18-10, 02:25 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Good idea. Less paper and properly easier to find what your looking for.
Old 06-18-10, 03:16 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing is if the Equus is selling badly, it will be discounted like the LS. So for a $55K MSRP you might get it for $42K. We'll see.
Old 06-18-10, 03:30 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

What kind of discount on the new GX? Might come to California if its a good price. Its just going to suck to get it winter ready
Old 06-18-10, 04:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
That's a good idea. Instead of Equus, why don't we all get 10 Tata Nanos. We get 9 nanos for free. Too bad Tata doesn't come with ipads.
The TATA is as big as an I pad. I don't think it would even fit inside the vehicle
Old 06-18-10, 04:57 PM
Stormwind
Racer

People who buys that car will be paying for that ipad in one way or the other, if the car sells for 60k I would rather pay $59,400 minus the tablet.
Old 06-19-10, 02:33 AM
Anon1210
Driver School Candidate

That's a nice idea actually. Hyundai is keeping up the creativity these days.
Old 06-19-10, 04:29 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a cute gimmick, but not very practical. Plus, it could turn the car into a magnet for thieves. ...
I'm sure the iPad isn't mounted in the car and it isn't intended to be left in the glovebox where most paper manuals are. It is intended to be carried by the owner.

GM is releasing an iPhone (?) app with the Volt that is integrated with OnStar so owners can check the charge status of their car and perform other functions. Apps that link you to your home, car, work, etc. are a natural for these devices.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus is coming with an i pad instead of standard owners manual