Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Officially Official: 2011 Honda Odyssey prepares to rock your sippy cups [w/video]

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10 | 09:48 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

My pops has an 02 Odyssey, great van, clean style, conservative looks like most here would say.....this monstrosity should not have the honor of holding that name....
Old 06-18-10 | 09:55 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Notice how most every Honda/Acura debut is in silver to hide the ugly.

I'm sorry Mike, you can't hide this with any color!
Old 06-18-10 | 10:14 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

That is so horrible. They need to consult some elementary school kids before they let out these designs. Kids will no doubt tell them its UGLY.
Old 06-18-10 | 10:48 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Wow what were they thinking. I really liked the 05-up models (which is why I bought an 07'). This is hideous. What's up with all the angles and stuff.

Yes hondas are coming out with some fugly cars
Old 06-18-10 | 11:41 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Nail in the coffin.

The concept was promising but this is just HILARIOUS!!!!!! Honda is absolutely off the deep end.
Oh man. Nail in the coffin for me too.
I had high hopes and have been waiting to see what the new oddy will look like to see if it can give the swagger van a run for the money like it did in the past.

Interior is somewhat similar to the current design.

This thing is an incest offspring of the crossturd
It's enough for me to write honda COMPLETELY off my list of for most pathetic design car.

(Hyundai has easily surpassed honda in my book)
Old 06-18-10 | 12:56 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

How can Honda do this? How can they go from a best-in-class mini van, to this? It just doesn't make sense. I gotta tell you, Honda is losing control, and fast. We all had high hopes for this Ito character, now, not so much. He *will* single handedly sink Honda. It's a cryin' shame.
Old 06-18-10 | 02:10 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I think I like it. This is by far the least ugliest Honda in recent years.

(and I didn't sleep last night. That probably had to do with me thinking this car isn't ugly)
Old 06-18-10 | 02:52 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are harsh! Can you all try to be objective and not to bash Honda?

But man, this 2011 Odyssey is a FAIL! The exterior looks ugly at the best, and the inside is just plain by the 2010 standard. I agree it is not the ugliest US Honda model but that is an achievement? The rear window has an odd shape, the D-pillar mimics the MDX’s ugly design, the huge "credit-card-swiping" cut lines for the sliding doors, the no taste wheels, the indentation across the side doors and the dorky third-row windows…

This 2011 Odyssey just made the original Dodge Caravan a much better looking minivan; nonetheless the beloved 2011 Toyota Sienna is a no brainier winner in this minivan war.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
.... while the 2011 Odyssey.... , it packages the whole thing together in what might be the best-looking minivan we have yet to see.
Says who? LMAO
Old 06-18-10 | 07:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The exterior is not as disappointing for me. It's the featured engine. The J-series is damn old by now. You would think after 2 generations of using the J-series in the Odyssey, they'd move onto a new platform to debut their 4th gen.

I still expect this van to sell just because of the Honda badge.
Old 06-18-10 | 10:41 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The exterior is not as disappointing for me. It's the featured engine. The J-series is damn old by now. You would think after 2 generations of using the J-series in the Odyssey, they'd move onto a new platform to debut their 4th gen.

Well, "old" engines have worked quite well for Honda, GM, Chrysler and Ford. Honda's J series V6s are 12 years old and Ford's modular V8s are almost 20 years old. But the core of GM's LSx and Mopar's Hemi is 40-60 years old. GM is STILL pushing a 20+ year old V6, the 3.9L "high value" V6 which also includes the 3.1 and 3.4L variants.

Last edited by nthach; 06-18-10 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-18-10 | 11:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes I know 'old' engines can be good, but it's not like these engines can't be improved upon. The J-series lacks some low end power and the idle isn't as butter smooth as Toyota's. However they do sing pretty well at high rpm. The J-series is versatile and Honda has proved it by stuffing it into practically every vehicle they sell. The rather poor fuel economy (by today's standard) should be enough reason for Honda to step away from the J-block and move onto another architecture.
Old 06-19-10 | 01:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

@Gsteg

You know what I think. I'd rather they kill them K-series engines......cause IMHO, there was no major improvements that were made to it. Hence, the R-series engines seem to be moving in.

But personally, I'm cool with J-series. It's the K-series that I want dropped (or killed with fire LMAO).

@Honda

Come on Honda, where's the Advanced VTEC???
Old 06-19-10 | 01:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I rather like the K-series. The power delivery is much nicer than the B-series it replaced. Plus it's a good engine for the car enthusiast to modify. The K-series has LOTS of potential. Honda just needs to tweak it rather than just let it sit unchanged.
Old 06-19-10 | 05:28 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I'll take a swagger wagon over this in a heartbeat!
Old 06-19-10 | 06:02 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

The J-series lacks some low end power and the idle isn't as butter smooth as Toyota's.
Toyota 3.5 V6
268 HP @ 6,200 RPM / 248 lb-ft @ 4,700 RPM

Honda 3.5 V6
271 HP @ 6,200 RPM / 254 lb-ft @ 5,000 RPM

IMO, it's the Honda 4 cylinders that have always had low end torque issues. The lack of low end torque on their 4's borders on ridiculous.
However, their 6's have always been competitive in both HP and torque.

As far as smoothness at idle, if you haven't driven a new Accord.... Well.
I'm certainly not saying that Honda's is any smoother or quieter than Toyota's, but it certainly very competitive.

Quick Reply: Officially Official: 2011 Honda Odyssey prepares to rock your sippy cups [w/video]