Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Officially Official: 2011 Honda Odyssey prepares to rock your sippy cups [w/video]

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 06:03 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really ugly.
Old 06-19-10, 09:58 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Notice how most every Honda/Acura debut is in silver to hide the ugly.

The details in the production model really make the car seem so disjointed.
Attached Thumbnails Officially Official: 2011 Honda Odyssey prepares to rock your sippy cups [w/video]-2011-honda-odyssey-concept-3.jpeg  
Old 06-19-10, 11:46 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess once you take the "Barbara Walter's" lighting off the "concept" Odyssey... it really is a hideous monster.

My goodness, the new Sienna sales numbers are going to absolutely eat this thing up. That side door rail is so pronounced and anyone who gets this better get black to hide all the crazy design elements. What really has happened to Honda recently with these absolutely crazy and no conformity designs?

Are they really trying to test their customer loyalty by designing crazy POS cars and seeing if they'll stay. Looking at the interior photos... I'm already imaging how much hard plastic panels there are already.... ugh...
Old 06-19-10, 12:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Toyota 3.5 V6
268 HP @ 6,200 RPM / 248 lb-ft @ 4,700 RPM

Honda 3.5 V6
271 HP @ 6,200 RPM / 254 lb-ft @ 5,000 RPM

Honda is maxing out the engine's potential while Toyota is just getting started. On paper is one thing, but in reality is another. The J35 engine doesn't have the same low end grunt. The J-series was better than the C-series in terms of smoothness, fuel economy, and power, but it wasn't leaps and bounds over the competition.

As far as smoothness at idle, if you haven't driven a new Accord.... Well.
I have and while it's smooth, its all in the engine's damper. What I've noticed with most Honda V6 is that when their engine mounts wear out just a bit, the engine vibration becomes quite apparent. I should know because my Odyssey with 17.5k miles doesn't idle like it use to and with very low throttle, you'll feel vibration from the pedal and steering wheel. Our ES330 with 110k miles idle cannot be felt at all and that's with original engine mounts.

I'm certainly not saying that Honda's is any smoother or quieter than Toyota's, but it certainly very competitive.
Yes indeed. Honda's V6 aren't bad by any standard, but I would certainly take Toyota's V6 over them any day of the week. One thing that Honda has going for them is the engine noise at full throttle. I much prefer it over Toyota's.
Old 06-19-10, 12:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
The details in the production model really make the car seem so disjointed.
The lower side skirt really kills it. I much prefer the pre-production version of it because it doesn't look like a tacked on body lip/kit.
Old 06-19-10, 01:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Officially Official: 2011 Honda Odyssey prepares to rock your sippy cups [w/video]

/[/url]
I've always liked the Odyssey over the Siena but not any more.
What's with that rear quarter panel?
Old 06-19-10, 01:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Toyota 3.5 V6
268 HP @ 6,200 RPM / 248 lb-ft @ 4,700 RPM

Honda 3.5 V6
271 HP @ 6,200 RPM / 254 lb-ft @ 5,000 RPM

IMO, it's the Honda 4 cylinders that have always had low end torque issues. The lack of low end torque on their 4's borders on ridiculous.
However, their 6's have always been competitive in both HP and torque.

As far as smoothness at idle, if you haven't driven a new Accord.... Well.
I'm certainly not saying that Honda's is any smoother or quieter than Toyota's, but it certainly very competitive.
No doubt, for an old engine it is respectable. That said the Honda of the past, the "engineering company" would have by far a class leading new engine instead of relying on the same thing. Something different and distinctive. This is simply another V-6 that everyone has.

Its funny how Honda no longer is small and quirky but now huge and full of sameness. Their only difference is their horrendous styling.

Now that this van has HIDs and the 6 speed, it is another Honda that makes Acura look redundant.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-19-10 at 01:52 PM.

Old 06-19-10, 09:11 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Good:
  1. Nice taillights (Concept ones were cooler though)
  2. Rims look decent (I like the "=" marks on the inner face of the rim)
  3. Interior looks decent (still lotsa buttons but not as overwhelming as in the Accord)
  4. they finally upgraded their screen and navigation menus
  5. HDMI input.. class first I believe?
  6. the centre 2nd row seat actually looks quite comfortable and appears to be wider than the Sienna's

The Bad:
  1. The "lightning bolt" makes the car look like a frankenstein car
  2. Black rear spoiler extensions were a fad in the 80s and early 90s. It spoils the profile view
  3. Honda, if you were gonna add that hideous spoiler thingy, why didn't you hide the rear wiper under there?

I thought the 2nd Gen Odyssey (that's 99-04 right?) Odyssey was very sharp. It had the design of the day (the angular design) captured quite well. The 3rd Gen looked a little... heavy.. bloated...but the design works well as a minivan (and it can even be had in baby blue which kids love).
Old 06-19-10, 10:06 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The door rail is a little too obvious, but I'm OK with the rest of the car. I actually like it better than the Sienna. I even wish it had the JDM Odyssey front styling, of which the Crosstour has an exaggerated version.

Still, IMO nothing compares to the current Toyota Previa that isn't available in the US. That is the definition of a good-looking van.
Old 06-19-10, 11:55 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honda V6s will MOVE when called for - although they seem a little overworked in the Pilot and Ridgeline.

And Hondas will eat through engine mounts the higher up the torque scale you go - it's not unheard of to need new engine mounts after 2 years on some.
Old 06-20-10, 08:01 AM
mkesc400
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that thing is hidious lol. the sienna se is far better than that