Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Fiesta Delay Causing Customer Complaints.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Ford Fiesta Delay Causing Customer Complaints.

Hard to tell the Cause-and-Effect relationship here. The media hype in the auto press be causing the interest, or the high general level of interest could be causing the hype with its publicity. But, either way, potential customers (and those who have actually put deposits and money down with orders) are getting impaitient at the Fiesta's U.S. introduction delay (a local Ford shop told me about another month or so).

I have several CL member-requests for a review, and plan to do so ASAP. But, it looks like, at first, they are going to be all or mostly pre-sold models, with (maybe) an occasional demo or factory-program model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/18/i...r-way-custo%2F

Ford has said all along that its hotly anticipated Fiesta would arrive in dealerships this summer, but an Automotive News report shows that some customers are getting a bit anxious waiting for their new ride. Production copies of the B-Segment compact have been churning out of The Blue Oval's Cuautitlán, Mexico plant since May, and dealers around the country have been placing significant orders for the heavily marketed vehicle. Dealers have even taken cash down payments for over 2,000 Fiestas, with tens of thousands of additional hand-raisers waiting in the wings.

So what's the problem? It appears that some customers thought their Fiesta would have already arrived by now. The Fiesta Facebook page even has customers that are none too pleased with the fact that they haven't yet taken delivery on their little sedan or hatchback. At least one dealer reportedly told AN off the record that he was under the impression that he would already have some Fiestas in stock right now, and that the vehicle hasn't yet been cleared for shipping.

Does that mean that there is some sort of quality issue holding up the launch? Not according to Ford spokesperson Angie Kozleski, who insists that the launch is going according to plan. Kozleski points out that customers have several different ways to check the progress of their vehicle, including a reservations call center and a reservations hotline. Kozleski reportedly told AN that it takes up to three weeks for the vehicles to get from Cuautitlán to the U.S. border, and that vehicles will begin hitting dealerships in the "next several weeks," so if you have one on order, sit tight.
Old 06-20-10, 01:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

ive seen one on the street the other day with temp tags. So dealers are getting them. i didnt care for it in pictures but it doesnt look to bad. The sedan that is.
Old 06-20-10, 01:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't think there's a quality issue. More like demand > supply. I think within a month we'll start seeing them at dealers. Consumers are excited by this new addition to the segment, and I expect them to sell like hotcakes. I can also foresee Fit sales slipping due to dare I say the new segment leader .
Old 06-20-10, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't think there's a quality issue. More like demand > supply. I think within a month we'll start seeing them at dealers. Consumers are excited by this new addition to the segment, and I expect them to sell like hotcakes. I can also foresee Fit sales slipping due to dare I say the new segment leader .
Even without a formal review, I can understand this car's popularity. Ford quality (which is now better-than-average), hybrid/diesel fuel mileage from a conventional gas engine without the added sales cost and/or fuel-availability issues, a range of paint colors that are truly COLORS and not just funeral-home shades, and styling, that, while not conventional by any means, is less-awkward than the Fit's. Unlike the Yaris, the gauges are in front the driver, where, IMO, they belong, not in the center of the dash. And, an easily affordable 15-16K price.

Just judging by the car itself, I think that Ford has the potential for a real winner here, but one thing that could (?) impact on Fiesta sales is how much Ford decides to charge for the new Focus, coming several months later (technically, a 2012 model). If Ford prices the new Focus low enough (and offers a Focus wagon/hatchback), some potential Fiesta buyers may decide to wait and buy the larger Focus for not a lot more money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-20-10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-20-10, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even without a formal review, I can understand this car's popularity. Ford quality (which is now better-than-average), hybrid/diesel fuel mileage from a conventional gas engine without the added sales cost and/or fuel-availability issues, a range of paint colors that are truly COLORS and not just funeral-home shades, and styling, that, while not conventional by any means, is less-awkward than the Fit's. Unlike the Yaris, the gauges are in front the driver, where, IMO, they belong, not in the canter of the dash. And, an easily affordable 15-16K price.
Agreed. I've always been a Ford guy (until my Lexus), and I've enjoyed watching them turn the company around and produce products worth contention. I despise the gauge cluster in the center like you, models such as past Saturns, Echo, Yaris, Nissan Quest (before it went back), and even the Mini Cooper.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just judging by the car itself, I think that Ford has the potential for a real winner here, but one thing that could (?) impact on Fiesta sales is how much Ford decides to charge for the new Focus, coming several months later (technically, a 2012 model). If Ford prices the new Focus low enough (and offers a Focus wagon/hatchback), some potential Fiesta buyers may decide to wait and buy the larger Focus for not a lot more money.
They are definitively similar, but I think the the upscaleness of the Focus with help distinguish itself from it's smaller sibling. Both cars will definitely be tops in their classes. Fit/Yaris/Versa/Aveo and Civic/Corolla/Sentra/Cruze better watch out!

I'd be one to consider the Focus too. Especially an EcoBoost ST or RS (should they ever decide to bring it to our shores)
Old 06-20-10, 10:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let 'em wait, getting it right is the main priority.
Old 06-21-10, 05:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Let 'em wait, getting it right is the main priority.
I agree, and then after a couple of months there will be more than enough to go around.