Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the CT's role in Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 12:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't see the CT going over well here in the States. My heart would not have been broken if they didn't offer it to us. Overall, I don't think hatchbacks sell well in America and they convey more of a cheap, economy car persona- not something I feel Lexus should be chasing with their higher tier status.
Yeah, all of those Subaru Impreza (and STi), Mazda 3, and A3 hatch sales were flukes.
Old 06-22-10, 03:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, all of those Subaru Impreza (and STi), Mazda 3, and A3 hatch sales were flukes.
Yes, 2 of the 3 are certainly high volume, but not sold under luxury brands. The Audi A3 is one of the few hatches I like, but it's sales volume is very low.
Old 06-22-10, 03:53 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HS should have been the ESh. It is a huge bag of fail imho. Is it even selling?
Old 06-22-10, 03:55 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

seems like a good alternative to an A3 TDI for the euro market
Old 06-22-10, 04:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The HS should have been the ESh. It is a huge bag of fail imho. Is it even selling?
a little over 1000 units every month. Short on expectations
Old 06-22-10, 05:30 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CT is redundant to some extent I agree, in terms of what it's hauling and size purpose is, but the problem with most vanilla hybrids (Camry hybrid, Accord hybrid, Altima hybrid, etc.) is that they are basically the same as their dyno siblings, besides the "Hybrid" badge or slight cosmetic changes. It seems that people who are "green" want others to know that they are green. Sort of in the same class as those that drive MB. They're fairly well off, and they feel the need to let others know they're well of by driving MB. To make an IS-h or ES-h is to get into that "dead man" zone of "ugh, why would I want to drive a hybrid that looks like any other vanilla sedan?"

So, for Lexus to do this is really two folds, to get younger buyers and to get buyers that need other drivers to know they are "green." Thus is the success of the Prius... you know from two blocks down, it's a Prius and it's a hybrid and that person must be "green" and love the planet.

LS600Lh, I'm sure many have approached it thinking "rich bastard with on concern for gas prices or the planet..." approached and saw "oh, it's the hybrid, good person..." ha ha, I mean this is an extreme case, but you know what I mean. Just like the Ralph Lauren prancing polo on the horse, it's there for a reason.
Old 06-22-10, 07:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
a little over 1000 units every month. Short on expectations
no surprise there...
Old 06-22-10, 07:56 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well if all of these specific models appeal to different markets then why dont just market them there? OK, the US is a big market but that don't mean waste money and resources and bring it here when its not really asked for. Dont get me wrong! I want the CT to sell for Lexus sake but my thing is make sure it can and will sell once produced.