Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worker drives over people at Mazda plant in Japan, killing 1 and injuring 10

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10 | 12:27 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Default Worker drives over people at Mazda plant in Japan, killing 1 and injuring 10

Worker drives over people at Mazda plant in Japan, killing 1 and injuring 10
June 22nd 2010, Yuri Kageyama, The Associated Press

TOKYO - A disgruntled worker slammed his car into employees at a Mazda factory in southwestern Japan on Tuesday, killing one and injuring 10.

The 42-year-old man (Toshiaki Hikiji) was arrested about an hour later on attempted murder charges after fleeing in his car from Mazda's Ujina plant.

Japanese media says he was a contract worker who had been let go in April and that he bore a grudge against the automaker.

But Mazda Motor Corp. spokesman Kotaro Minagawa says he had quit in April on his own, citing personal reasons, after working just eight days.

The rampage has revived memories of a stabbing spree in Tokyo's electronics shopping district two years ago, also by an angry autoworker.

He killed seven people when he slammed a truck into a crowd and then stabbed onlookers.

Hikiji ignored security at the gate and drove into the plant as workers were arriving in the morning. Killed was Hiroshi Hamada, 39, a permanent employee, known as "seishain," the company said.

One male worker remained in critical condition, although details weren't available, Minagawa said.

"I pray for the spirit of the man who was killed, and pray for the recovery of the 10 who were injured," Mazda President Takashi Yamanouchi said in a statement.

For decades during Japan's modernization, its major companies guaranteed jobs for life and offered relatively good benefits in return for loyalty.

But automakers, pinched by cost-cutting efforts amid globalization, are increasingly relying on workers called "haken," who are hired on less attractive contracts than regular workers, often through job-referral companies.

Koetsu Aizawa, professor of economics at Saitama University, said the discriminatory dual system of employment was common at major Japanese companies because regular workers, hired under a lifetime employment system, can't be fired.

"Japan still needs to foster the idea of equal pay for equal work," he said. "What many Japanese feel is that regular workers do little work but have big attitudes and get big money. It is a huge social problem."

The manufacturers can better respond to changes in market demand with haken workers because they cannot generally dismiss regular employees.

At Hiroshima-based Mazda, contract workers such as Hikiji are hired on a six-month basis, but have contracts directly with Mazda and not with referral companies, which the automaker stopped using last year, Minagawa said.

"They help us when things get busy because production fluctuates," he said of the contract workers, but declined to disclose details of the wage differences.

The Ujina plant is Mazda's main auto assembly plant, churning out popular models like the Demio, known as the Mazda2 overseas, and the Roadster.

The plant, which employs 7,000 people _ 400 of them under temporary contracts _ was operating as normal after the rampage, Minagawa said.

link: http://autos.sympatico.ca/automotive...nd-injuring-10
Old 06-22-10 | 12:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

That's horrible!

I hope the situation is handled as appropriately as possible.
Old 06-22-10 | 01:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thats pretty crazy. So should we say he went Mazda instead of saying he went postal?? The Japanese autoworkers are nuts
Old 06-22-10 | 03:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I feel sorry for the innocent victims.
Old 06-22-10 | 06:03 PM
TripleL
No Substitute
CL Folding 1M

what a sad event, my condolences to the man who perished and my wishes for a speedy recovery for all who were hurt or traumatized by this.
Old 06-22-10 | 06:13 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, eesh.

Seems drastic.
Old 06-22-10 | 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For decades during Japan's modernization, its major companies guaranteed jobs for life and offered relatively good benefits in return for loyalty.

Koetsu Aizawa, professor of economics at Saitama University, said the discriminatory dual system of employment was common at major Japanese companies because regular workers, hired under a lifetime employment system, can't be fired.
Japanese media says he was a contract worker who had been let go in April and that he bore a grudge against the automaker.
Perhaps this is WHY Japanese companies have (or had) that guaranteed-job policy. It (apparantly) was done for a reason. This is what happens when you lay some people off. It's the same in the American postal system....many, though not all, of the "going postal" workers had been laid off or fired under conditions they felt was unfair. It is simply dangerous to do that with some people.

Having said that, though, my condolences go out to the family and friends of the dead worker, and my prayers for the successful recovery of the 10 who were wounded.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-22-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-23-10 | 12:08 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

hope UAW has no copycats