Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10 | 12:52 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meowCat
I didn't say Hyundai has established a luxury brand. So what I said earlier is correct. And you don't know for sure that Hyundai is not eager to establish one. Did you participate in the Hyundai corporate meeting? You have no idea what they have discussed..

LOL!
Funny you seem to suggest that you have participated in a Hyundai corporate meeting. Any valuable info you'd like to share with us?

LOL
Old 06-23-10 | 12:53 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Did you participate in the Hyundai corporate meeting? You have no idea what they have discussed..

LOL!
...and you do?

P.S. what is so funny?
Old 06-23-10 | 12:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
Hey, it worked for Toyota.
Hyundai and Toyota are not one and the same. Does Toyota copy? Hell yes they do. Do they lead as well? Hell yes they do. Hybrids are an easy example for instance.

Trust me I don't get on one for copying (everyone does it) but Hyundai hasn't really done anything completely BETTER and set any new STANDARD.

Until they set a bar instead of trying to meet the bar again, its really just muddying the luxury segment which is already crowded. Just ask Acura, Saab, Lincoln, Infiniti, Volvo. They chase the bar, not setting it thus they are where they are.
Old 06-23-10 | 01:03 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Trust me I don't get on one for copying (everyone does it) but Hyundai hasn't really done anything completely BETTER and set any new STANDARD.
Honda CEO Takanobu Ito minced no words when he told the Associated Press, "Hyundai is awesome."

Nissan's Shiro Nakamura echoes Honda's Ito when it comes to identifying Japan's new boogeyman, "Hyundai is the biggest threat for the Japanese automakers."

Akio Toyoda recently voiced his concern about the threat posed by Hyundai Motor in the U.S. "Hyundai is coming up, and they're looking good. So we have to start asking, 'Can we just keep doing the Camry like this?'"
Old 06-23-10 | 01:24 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

lol, this thread is getting quite emotional over a brand that none of us have in our signatures....
Old 06-23-10 | 01:33 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

That's because many of us don't have money to buy all those cars. If I had more money I would pick up the following:

- Lexus IS-F
- Hyundai Genesis Sedan V8 5.0
- '11 Hyundai Sonata Turbo

and mod my Mazdaspeed 3.

I bought an 89 Excel off the lot and someone gave me a Sonata for free. There's nothing about seeing a Genesis in the street that makes me feel like I'm missing something by not owning another.
Old 06-23-10 | 01:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
Honda CEO Takanobu Ito minced no words when he told the Associated Press, "Hyundai is awesome."

Nissan's Shiro Nakamura echoes Honda's Ito when it comes to identifying Japan's new boogeyman, "Hyundai is the biggest threat for the Japanese automakers."

Akio Toyoda recently voiced his concern about the threat posed by Hyundai Motor in the U.S. "Hyundai is coming up, and they're looking good. So we have to start asking, 'Can we just keep doing the Camry like this?'"
Madoka, I have praised them as well and know they are for real. Honda should be very very worried more than anyone.

Toyota is smart and will not ignore Hyundai. They are very aware they are FOR REAL. This is a great case of competition making everyone better and consumers winning.
Old 06-23-10 | 01:45 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Its even more amusing that people don't want to forgive AMERICAN BRANDs, Ford, GM, Chrysler for their sins in the past but Hyundai gets a pass? Why do Americans provide so many double standards for imports? Its ridiculous.
Not ridiculous at all. Hyundai never asked for a bailout from the U.S. goverment due to them being clueless as to how to run a successful car company. That's the difference.

I have been a staunch support of what Hyundai is doing even as I will never buy one as I had a POS Scoupe in the past and they will never get my money again. Their improvements are incredible and their turnaround is fantastic. That said a company that simply copies over and over will never be seen as highly desirable and a leader.
Oh come on. Do you honestly believe Hyundai is "copying" other brands with products like the new Sonata, Genesis, & Equus? Sure, they're maximizing their efforts and putting out products that are equally or very close to equally as good as the products they compete against. But I would not necessarily consider that "copying". Name a vehicle that is the direct competitor of the Sonata which is an example of them copying? Like it or not, Hyundai has over time developed their own design philosophy. They are much more aggressive than most when it comes to design and packaging, so how that can be misconstrued as copying is beyond me. I will say this though. That at this point, they are not the most technologically advanced, in comparison to the competition, but I think that will change in time as well. They have, afterall, developed their own hybrid system, which on paper at least seems to be superior to Honda's system and perhaps even equal to Toyota's and Ford's. They've come a long way in only a very short time. I think this whole "Hyundai copies other automakers" line is a quickly dying statement.
Old 06-23-10 | 01:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Not ridiculous at all. Hyundai never asked for a bailout from the U.S. goverment due to them being clueless as to how to run a successful car company. That's the difference.
Ford didn't get bailed out. Also some of you need to do some reading. Hyundai isn't exactly a fantastic company to work for and in the past their worker practices were HORRIBLE. Its amusing Hyundai brings out a few new cars and people jump on the bandwagon and forget the crap they built MOST of their automotive careers.

My point stands that Americans love crapping on American companies but they will give imports chance after chance and and ignore their pasts.

Oh come on. Do you honestly believe Hyundai is "copying" other brands with products like the new Sonata, Genesis, & Equus? Sure, they're maximizing their efforts and putting out products that are equally or very close to equally as good as the products they compete against. But I would not necessarily consider that "copying". Name a vehicle that is the direct competitor of the Sonata which is an example of them copying? Like it or not, Hyundai has over time developed their own design philosophy. They are much more aggressive than most when it comes to design and packaging, so how that can be misconstrued as copying is beyond me. I will say this though. That at this point, they are not the most technologically advanced, in comparison to the competition, but I think that will change in time as well. They have, afterall, developed their own hybrid system, which on paper at least seems to be superior to Honda's system and perhaps even equal to Toyota's and Ford's. They've come a long way in only a very short time. I think this whole "Hyundai copies other automakers" line is a quickly dying statement.
C'mon we all know and have stated the Sonata is a CLS rip-off in styling but its much less successful as they had to make it tall to fit people wheras the CLS is coupe-like. The Genesis is a blend of seemingly every luxury car (yet it works to my eyes).

The statement won't die until we see a Hyundai presented where most are like "wow that looks like nothing else" or "wow not that is a new technology". Again, its not a BAD thing as EVERYONE copies. Hyundai simply took Toyota's playbook and are doing a nice job of it.
Old 06-23-10 | 02:01 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Ford didn't get bailed out. Also some of you need to do some reading. Hyundai isn't exactly a fantastic company to work for and in the past their worker practices were HORRIBLE. Its amusing Hyundai brings out a few new cars and people jump on the bandwagon and forget the crap they built MOST of their automotive careers.

My point stands that Americans love crapping on American companies but they will give imports chance after chance and and ignore their pasts.
I said asked for a bailout. Mulally stood right there in front of congress with the other 2 nitwits asking for money.
I give them credit for deciding not to TAKE the bailout money. But Ford did, in fact, ask.
Old 06-23-10 | 02:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

1) Do I really need to post pics of the Passat CC, 5 Series, LS, and S Class or do you actually believe that Hyundai has their own design theme?

2) The statement in bold is laughable, IMO.

That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are a vast number of people/critics/writers/industry notables who see Hyundai's shameless imitations of the aformentioned cars. If you don't, that is you...but that is also in the minority of opinions.
Old 06-23-10 | 02:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Bleh, its not like the Genesis isn't selling because its underpowered. The horse power increase isn't going to help this bland, undesirable car. It will take a lot more than that to sell $40k + Hyundais.
Old 06-23-10 | 02:30 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
lol, this thread is getting quite emotional over a brand that none of us have in our signatures....
seriously.............
Old 06-23-10 | 02:47 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by (Cj)
seriously.............
Look in the mirror dude. You post (usually negatively) in nearly every Hyundai thread. Why do some people feel the need to keep crapping on certain makes when they don't deserve it?
Old 06-23-10 | 02:55 PM
LexFather

Everyone please post on the topic, not the PERSON. Thanks

I said asked for a bailout. Mulally stood right there in front of congress with the other 2 nitwits asking for money.
I give them credit for deciding not to TAKE the bailout money. But Ford did, in fact, ask.
So again its okay to beat them up constantly for bailouts but not Hyundai for employee practices?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)