Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10 | 02:58 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ford didn't get bailed out. Also some of you need to do some reading. Hyundai isn't exactly a fantastic company to work for and in the past their worker practices were HORRIBLE. Its amusing Hyundai brings out a few new cars and people jump on the bandwagon and forget the crap they built MOST of their automotive careers.

My point stands that Americans love crapping on American companies but they will give imports chance after chance and and ignore their pasts.

C'mon we all know and have stated the Sonata is a CLS rip-off in styling but its much less successful as they had to make it tall to fit people wheras the CLS is coupe-like. The Genesis is a blend of seemingly every luxury car (yet it works to my eyes).

The statement won't die until we see a Hyundai presented where most are like "wow that looks like nothing else" or "wow not that is a new technology". Again, its not a BAD thing as EVERYONE copies. Hyundai simply took Toyota's playbook and are doing a nice job of it.

It's clear you have a bias against Hyundai. You make a point to praise them and their efforts, but quickly denounce them as an inferior car company.

You talk about Hyundai's horrible record for labor practices. I think most car companies are guilty of this. Toyota is not an exception here.

You talk about Hyundai's record of building crap for most of their "automotive career." Toyota started out the same way. Keep in mind Hyundai only started developing, engineering, and building their own cars less than 20 years ago. Before that, they sourced parts from existing manufacturers such as Mitsubishi.

You talk about Hyundai copying the designs of other cars. Can you honestly say that Lexus is completely original in their designs? I don't think that the new Sonata copied the MB CLS, but even if they did -- if there was a car that looked like a Lamborghini with a 100k mile warranty and started at $20k, wouldn't it pique your interest? Whether it is a ripoff or not, an attractive car at a low price is always a win for consumers.

A lot of the "fanboy sentiment" that you're seeing is probably because the automakers that were making big strides in design and engineering over the past decade have been stale recently. In the past two years, Hyundai has given us a turbocharged, RWD coupe available with a manual transmission, a option-loaded, near-luxury sedan for thousands less than the competition.

I've never owned a Hyundai and probably won't for several years. But I'm still excited to see what they will bring in the future. I don't think Hyundai will set any new standards or introduce cutting-edge tech in the near future, but I think these cars will help them shed their econobox image for the future.
Old 06-23-10 | 03:13 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
1) Do I really need to post pics of the Passat CC, 5 Series, LS, and S Class or do you actually believe that Hyundai has their own design theme?

2) The statement in bold is laughable, IMO.
Oh please, every other thread on this board is about how such and such car is a copy of another such and such car. As if there are just so many design possibilities a car company can produce without being completely polarizing or having the internet critics continually repeat "how ugly" such and such car is Take the Acura TL for example.. 'nuff said.

Hyundai is taking a conservative approach with their design, yet still taking good general styling details and incorporating it into their own vehicles. You call it copying, I call it maximizing their efforts and putting out an attractive product. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-23-10 | 03:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

This thread has veered far from the original topic.

At the end of the day, Hyundai's marketing and press releases are doing its job.

Hopefully, this media blitz (thank you CL Hyundai contributors) will prove that people will buy, not just talk about, their products.

So far, people are just talkin', because they ain't buyin'...
Old 06-23-10 | 04:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Serious Lexus stomping power (nothing new), but will anyone really spend that kind of coin on a Hyundai? Not likely.
VW Phaeton all over again.
Old 06-23-10 | 04:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
It's clear you have a bias against Hyundai. You make a point to praise them and their efforts, but quickly denounce them as an inferior car company.

You talk about Hyundai's horrible record for labor practices. I think most car companies are guilty of this. Toyota is not an exception here.

You talk about Hyundai's record of building crap for most of their "automotive career." Toyota started out the same way. Keep in mind Hyundai only started developing, engineering, and building their own cars less than 20 years ago. Before that, they sourced parts from existing manufacturers such as Mitsubishi.

You talk about Hyundai copying the designs of other cars. Can you honestly say that Lexus is completely original in their designs? I don't think that the new Sonata copied the MB CLS, but even if they did -- if there was a car that looked like a Lamborghini with a 100k mile warranty and started at $20k, wouldn't it pique your interest? Whether it is a ripoff or not, an attractive car at a low price is always a win for consumers.

A lot of the "fanboy sentiment" that you're seeing is probably because the automakers that were making big strides in design and engineering over the past decade have been stale recently. In the past two years, Hyundai has given us a turbocharged, RWD coupe available with a manual transmission, a option-loaded, near-luxury sedan for thousands less than the competition.

I've never owned a Hyundai and probably won't for several years. But I'm still excited to see what they will bring in the future. I don't think Hyundai will set any new standards or introduce cutting-edge tech in the near future, but I think these cars will help them shed their econobox image for the future.
Excellent post!!

I love the Genesis & the additional bump in output is a plus.. 429hp.. Damn!
Old 06-23-10 | 08:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

BIG things coming from Hyundai. I used to despise this brand but I am quickly gaining a lot of respect for their vehicles, goals, and growth in every segment they have vehicles in
Old 06-23-10 | 10:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Oh please, every other thread on this board is about how such and such car is a copy of another such and such car. As if there are just so many design possibilities a car company can produce without being completely polarizing or having the internet critics continually repeat "how ugly" such and such car is Take the Acura TL for example.. 'nuff said.

Hyundai is taking a conservative approach with their design, yet still taking good general styling details and incorporating it into their own vehicles. You call it copying, I call it maximizing their efforts and putting out an attractive product. Nothing wrong with that.
If you have a problem with this board why post? This board is not like that at all. You ONLY POSt when you DISAGREE and then point fingers at this board. This FORUM is more appreicative of other brands than ANY FORUM, period.

And the Acura TL is Ohio made old technology UGLY CRAP, period. We PRAISED the last one if you forgot the current one is horrendous.

If you are only here to disagree then you really need to evaluate why you post here.

Its clear you don't read. If you really read my posts I am one of Hyundais staunch supporters. I have banned and told people to get out of Hyundai thread for not adding anything of use.

I have OWNED a Hyundai.

My points are valid. I have backed them up with facts. I support
er of what they have done. I said they create better competition.

I can't help some of you have the automotive knowledge of a pecan and then post in here to make attacks on people. I suggest READING what people say emphatically (look that up in the dictionary before making a long post that is completely inaccurate.
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Excellent post!!

I love the Genesis & the additional bump in output is a plus.. 429hp.. Damn!
Maybe you mean you love the Equuas b/c that is what the thread is about
Old 06-24-10 | 04:53 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Hyundai and Toyota are not one and the same. Does Toyota copy? Hell yes they do. Do they lead as well? Hell yes they do. Hybrids are an easy example for instance.

Trust me I don't get on one for copying (everyone does it) but Hyundai hasn't really done anything completely BETTER and set any new STANDARD.

Until they set a bar instead of trying to meet the bar again, its really just muddying the luxury segment which is already crowded. Just ask Acura, Saab, Lincoln, Infiniti, Volvo. They chase the bar, not setting it thus they are where they are.
They *are* chasing the bar, and that, I agree with. Look how far they've come. They've made incredible strides, no doubt. Yes, they are chasing the bar, but here's the thing; They're getting closer and closer to that bar, and one day, wait and see, they will raise it.
Old 06-24-10 | 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i agree hyundai has just been chasing, hasn't led in anything. but at the same time i think they are doing pretty darn good job closing the gap
Old 06-24-10 | 09:40 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Its clear you don't read. If you really read my posts I am one of Hyundais staunch supporters. I have banned and told people to get out of Hyundai thread for not adding anything of use.

I have OWNED a Hyundai.

My points are valid. I have backed them up with facts. I support
er of what they have done. I said they create better competition.

I can't help some of you have the automotive knowledge of a pecan and then post in here to make attacks on people. I suggest READING what people say emphatically (look that up in the dictionary before making a long post that is completely inaccurate.

It's obvious that you can't follow your own rules either. You tell people not to make personal attacks, but continue to make personal attacks on others. Make your argument based on facts, not your own feeling of superior car knowledge over others.

What facts have you provided? Other than just blanket statements about how they made crap cars in the beginning and abused labor practices?

And yes, I know you've owned a Hyundai. You mentioned how you owned a Scoupe and how you will never buy one again because of your ownership experience. Sounds like something a "staunch supporter" of Hyundai would say. And you supporting better competition doesn't show that you support Hyundai, but that you support capitalism.

Finally, my post was not a personal attack on you. The only part that could even be construed as a personal attack would be my accusation that you have a bias against Hyundai. I'm not Mr. Hyundai so I could care less what you think about them, but don't act as if you're a Hyundai supporter when you obviously think of them as an inferior car company.
Old 06-24-10 | 10:44 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Even if Hyundai created a luxury brand do you see a mass exodus of BMW, Benz, Lexus drivers to them?
I don't.
I'm sure that's what people were saying about Lexus 20 years ago. Look at Lexus now.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere.
Old 06-24-10 | 11:01 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

The Genesis I could see myself in.... The Equus is to close to BMW, Mercedes price range regardless of its amanities..

I hope they offer the 5.0 V8 with an improved suspension package for the Genesis Sedan. Power without control is useless
Old 06-24-10 | 11:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carLx
I'm sure that's what people were saying about Lexus 20 years ago. Look at Lexus now.

I keep saying that but people on this forum get upset when you make comparisons to Lexus . To me its very very obvious that Hyundai attempting to make a similar(not exact....its a different economic environment) move to what Lexus did back in the day. When Lexus first hit the market it was a joke amongst BMW and Benz owners( yes it was ). Nobody driving a German car would even look at them seriously for a few years. After a couple of years of winning awards and having excellent write ups in magazines the brand started to flourish. Hyundai, like Lexus, will need to quickly gain the trust and respect of the automotive communities and the public. At the rate they are going I don't think it will be that long. What upsets me is Hyundai's move NOT to produce a separate luxury brand. That imho is going to be a bit of a pitfall .

I have to agree with mike on the fact that we do tend to forgive Hyundai for its past mistakes over the mistakes that the American car companies have made. I am guilty of this as well but I think its because the Americans have been making crappy cars for 30 years where as Hyundai had a much shorter run. I remember the Hyundai Excels that would burn oil in less than 2 years, but I remember many friends with American cars that were left in parking lots and had to be towed.
Old 06-24-10 | 12:06 PM
LexFather

It's obvious that you can't follow your own rules either. You tell people not to make personal attacks, but continue to make personal attacks on others. Make your argument based on facts, not your own feeling of superior car knowledge over others.

What facts have you provided? Other than just blanket statements about how they made crap cars in the beginning and abused labor practices?

And yes, I know you've owned a Hyundai. You mentioned how you owned a Scoupe and how you will never buy one again because of your ownership experience. Sounds like something a "staunch supporter" of Hyundai would say. And you supporting better competition doesn't show that you support Hyundai, but that you support capitalism.

Finally, my post was not a personal attack on you. The only part that could even be construed as a personal attack would be my accusation that you have a bias against Hyundai. I'm not Mr. Hyundai so I could care less what you think about them, but don't act as if you're a Hyundai supporter when you obviously think of them as an inferior car company.
Again if you READ my Hyundai posts (not just in this thread) it is CLEAR I am a supporter of the brand. Numerous times I have cleaned up Hyundai threads as some people would just post anti-Hyundai rhetoric and I told them that will not be tolerated. So I am confused as how you are ANYONE can conclude I don't like the brand I recommend the brand and have posted numerous times how Hyundai makes some great cars now. I did a mini review on the Genesis and RAVED on the interior.

Some of us don't feel Hyundai is the "Savior" like some are making it to be. Thus my pointing out deficient areas. I cannot help people get mad that I point out they copy or the Won is helping them keep costs down.

It is disappointing that some people want EVERYONE to just jump on the Hyundai bandwagon with blindfolds on.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I keep saying that but people on this forum get upset when you make comparisons to Lexus . To me its very very obvious that Hyundai attempting to make a similar(not exact....its a different economic environment) move to what Lexus did back in the day. When Lexus first hit the market it was a joke amongst BMW and Benz owners( yes it was ). Nobody driving a German car would even look at them seriously for a few years. After a couple of years of winning awards and having excellent write ups in magazines the brand started to flourish. Hyundai, like Lexus, will need to quickly gain the trust and respect of the automotive communities and the public. At the rate they are going I don't think it will be that long. What upsets me is Hyundai's move NOT to produce a separate luxury brand. That imho is going to be a bit of a pitfall .

I have to agree with mike on the fact that we do tend to forgive Hyundai for its past mistakes over the mistakes that the American car companies have made. I am guilty of this as well but I think its because the Americans have been making crappy cars for 30 years where as Hyundai had a much shorter run. I remember the Hyundai Excels that would burn oil in less than 2 years, but I remember many friends with American cars that were left in parking lots and had to be towed.
Good post

Originally Posted by carLx

There is a huge difference. Hyundai made crappy cars and are trying to turn things around. Lexus was a new brand and the parent company Toyota at the time had a pretty legendary history for quality.

We see people say the same thing about Lexus today and you can't get mad about it as they have a point. Lexus lacks the prestige of BMW/Benz.

No one should get upset at myself or anyone pointing out that the Genesis again never met sales goals (coupe or sedan) and the Equus has a tough road as we have seen luxury BRANDED cars like the Q45 and RL fail. We have seen the Phaeton fail and it is far superior to the Equus.

Why is that a bad thing to say? Based on previous history and current sales record with the Genesis it is still tough for Hyundai.

No one is saying the cars are crap or the cars aren't good.
Old 06-24-10 | 12:12 PM
LexFather

And Moogie I genuinely apologize for my post if it was offensive to you (long week but no excuse).

One of my points is people (all of us) need to really read what someone is saying and not be so trigger happy to post a response in retaliation.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)