Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 01:23 PM
ConceptVBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The next phase should be AWD versions of these cars..

429 hp Genesis!! No cut & paste mods needed under the hood of this car. Coilovers & wheels=done.
Actually, that is EXACTLY what the next version will have: AWD and V8 Power.
Old 06-25-10, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
I don't see how Lexus would do the same thing for the next generation LS. For example, if the next generation LS does get a 420+ V8 wouldn't that be stepping over the heels of the high performance IS-F?
two different cars, what's there to compare. look at the s600, it beats a lot of other amg. not going to affect anything
Old 06-25-10, 01:49 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread seems back on track...... Im dating myself but I thought I had power when I purchased my 86" mustang GT with 220hp..

Not to sound old but although I like the sound of 420hp is that even necessary? I like the direction Hyundai is going but I hope the listen to the critics and refine the Genesis not just dump gobs of horsepower into it.
Improve on the suspension, steering and interior quality just a bit and truly make it a 5 series competitor...
Old 06-25-10, 01:55 PM
LexFather

Lexusman77 the LS 600h L has 438hp...has Henry stated hp is just a "number" many times. The Infiniti M37 has 330hp and the M56 has 420hp and it simply hasn't made any "splash" with the most power in class.

Having the most hp is novel and usually a tried and trued concept but its pretty clear the 7/S/LS sell based on a variety of merits with image/prestige/panache one of the biggest.

The bottom line is a few nuts on the internet like us might know/care about HP but most consumers care about "badge".

Old 06-25-10, 02:33 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexusman77 the LS 600h L has 438hp...has Henry stated hp is just a "number" many times. The Infiniti M37 has 330hp and the M56 has 420hp and it simply hasn't made any "splash" with the most power in class.

Having the most hp is novel and usually a tried and trued concept but its pretty clear the 7/S/LS sell based on a variety of merits with image/prestige/panache one of the biggest.

The bottom line is a few nuts on the internet like us might know/care about HP but most consumers care about "badge".
I pretty much understood everyone's responses. I understand the LS is the flagship, but the F line is the performance flagship. I was not making any reference between most hp and sales success. I was just pointing out a hypothetical if the next generation base LS and not the LS600h L, had 429 hp hp then it might overlap the performance tuned IS-F's 416 hp. The thing is that Lexus keeps a model's hp in perspective to keep one models from overlapping the other. For example, we can see that in the GS line the GS460 has "only" 342 hp because the 340 hp GS450H is the flagship of the GS line. Another would be the LX570 having the most hp compared to the GX and the RX because it is the flagship. I just thought it might play into the next gen LS scenario unless, like another pointed out, the new IS-F comes out first and gets a bump in hp to widen the gap between models.

Anyways, back to the Hyundai.....429 hp might seem a bit much for the Genesis but not the Equus since it is going to be the flagship sedan.
Old 06-25-10, 02:44 PM
LexFather

I pretty much understood everyone's responses. I understand the LS is the flagship, but the F line is the performance flagship. I was not making any reference between most hp and sales success. I was just pointing out a hypothetical if the next generation base LS and not the LS600h L, had 429 hp hp then it might overlap the performance tuned IS-F's 416 hp. The thing is that Lexus keeps a model's hp in perspective to keep one models from overlapping the other. For example, we can see that in the GS line the GS460 has "only" 342 hp because the 340 hp GS450H is the flagship of the GS line. Another would be the LX570 having the most hp compared to the GX and the RX because it is the flagship. I just thought it might play into the next gen LS scenario unless, like another pointed out, the new IS-F comes out first and gets a bump in hp to widen the gap between models.

Anyways, back to the Hyundai.....429 hp might seem a bit much for the Genesis but not the Equus since it is going to be the flagship sedan.
Oh you make good points. We also have to remember the IS F wasn't a planned product, it was a skunkworks project that got approved. The LFA was to be the first F car.

I have no idea what new engines are coming from Lexus but looking at the past 4.0 and how it gained small hp, then VVTi and then got expanded to 4.3 liters I assume the 4.6 will get a bump in power and the 5.0.

Getting back to the Hyundai V-8 its just incredible they have 2 V-8s here and both seem to be extremely great engines.

Old 06-25-10, 04:51 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I was just pointing out a hypothetical if the next generation base LS and not the LS600h L, had 429 hp hp then it might overlap the performance tuned IS-F's 416 hp.
Well I don't think the next base LS will be that powerful. Lexus will probably bring a V6 hybrid LS to the bottom of the range to compete with the I6 7 series, and the V6 hybrid S class. At that point we'll be looking at a 340~hp base hybrid LS, 420hp V8 LS, 480~hp flagship hybrid LS, and maybe a 520hp LS-F? Wishful thinking possibly, but I don't see why not
Old 06-25-10, 07:43 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I've read a few of your points about "if" the LS got the power bump it would somehow damage or dilute the brand. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the connection. The additional weight and the way the LS is set up would not make a power boosted LS an IS F competitor and vice versa.

I just don't see an LS vs. IS F comparo meaning anything to anyone regardless of hp?
Old 06-25-10, 10:32 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I've read a few of your points about "if" the LS got the power bump it would somehow damage or dilute the brand. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the connection. The additional weight and the way the LS is set up would not make a power boosted LS an IS F competitor and vice versa.

I just don't see an LS vs. IS F comparo meaning anything to anyone regardless of hp?
I felt that I made my point clear in my entire post but you only focused on the one sentence in bold. I explained the "connection" in my entire post and stated examples.

Anyways, this is probably getting a little bit off topic so to put things back into the original topic perspective the powerful new engine and transmission should make Hyundai competitive because it can't win over customers with just good or decent. The reason is due to its reputation as offering affordable cars and thus, Hyundai has to go above and beyond like the class leading 429 hp for example, to try to win over customers from Lexus, MB, and BMW.
Old 06-25-10, 10:47 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I felt that I made my point clear in my entire post but you only focused on the one sentence in bold. I explained the "connection" in my entire post and stated examples.
Anyways, this is probably getting a little bit off topic so to put things back into the original topic perspective the powerful new engine and transmission should make Hyundai competitive because it can't win over customers with just good or decent. The reason is due to its reputation as offering affordable cars and thus, Hyundai has to go above and beyond like the class leading 429 hp for example, to try to win over customers from Lexus, MB, and BMW.
No, actually you didn't. You provided examples within a model line and suggested that the top level model should have the most hp, which I'm totally in agreement with.

I still don't see any potential negative conotation if the LS had more hp than the F?
Old 06-25-10, 11:26 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
No, actually you didn't. You provided examples within a model line and suggested that the top level model should have the most hp, which I'm totally in agreement with.

I still don't see any potential negative conotation if the LS had more hp than the F?
If you read my couple previous posts you would see that I am not stating any negative connotation. You basically stated my point exactly as the top level model should have the most hp. Originally, I justed asked a simple question as to whether a 5.0 liter 429 hp LS overlaps the closest hp model of the high performance top level model IS-F having "only" 416 hp. I never pointed out that the scenario would "damage" or "dilute" the brand. It was intended as a yes and no question with some explanation. If it is still confusing I apologize...it was my fault for asking the off-topic question.

Last edited by LexusMan77; 06-25-10 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 09:19 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Wait till their AMG E55 W211 lookalike blown version comes out. If.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/tauv8supercharged/

Old 06-29-10, 10:10 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Before anyone runs out and buys the 429hp Genesis they may want to look at the actual performance of the existing Genesis models. The V8 turned out to be slower then the GS350 and the coupe w/V6 is way slower then the IS350 w/less displacement. If this is any indication of their performance record (Which it is), I would think the 2011 5.0 Mustang, Camaro SS and even the big hemi Challenger would run better. Sorry but Hyundai has not yet shown to be competitive (Performance wise).

Koz
Old 06-29-10, 11:49 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
We had discussion about this a long time ago, and I have pointed out that the old 6-speed Genesis 4.6 to be faster from 0-100 and 0-120, faster than both GS350 and IS350. It is in the BMW 335i territory in this regard. Also, 0-60 in 5.5 sec, which is competitive to the GS350. The reason why GS350 may edge out the Genesis 4.6 in the quarter mile is BECAUSE it is designed for quarter mile and is considerably lighter. You also can't base on current version Genesis 4.6's performance as it's on a taller geared 6-speed transmission whereas the new one will be coming out with an 8-speed. Don't just diss the car because you saw some random biased review from the internet. .
I've seen several Genesis run down the track and the best 4.6 I seen was 14 flat. The 3.8 is a dog running low 14s, so I don't know where you think they perform. I personally spanked the 4.6 on the highway EASILY. You have got to be kidding!

Koz
Old 06-29-10, 01:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
What will happen is that the Genesis 4.6 will play the catch up and over take the GS350 at higher speeds. It's actually pretty impressive a bigger and heavier car overtaking the GS350.
Let's see....

Genesis 4.6 - 4,012lbs - V8, 385hp/333lb-ft of torque - 10.4 lbs/HP

GS 350 - 3,704lbs - V6, 303hp, 274 lb-ft of torque - 12.2 lbs/HP

Why is that impressive again?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)