Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How the Hyundai Equus can succeed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 07:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I keep saying the same thing but ............... .
The Genesis reminds me of a modern day LS400. High quality, has all of the stats to match the competition, BUT everyone thinks its a joke. How quickly some forget the comments of the owners of the premier luxury cars were saying when they Lexus was released. It sounds just like the comments we keep hearing here about the Genesis. If there is anything Lexus has taught us is that Americans want value, reliability, and performance.........not simply the heritage and image that the other brands provided for so many years.
Who has said that? Not here. The Genesis is respected here. We cannot help if people get their feelings caught up if they don't completely fap over it like some others do. There are some valid points made about the vehicle and people are entitled to point them out in a respectful fashion.

It is no LS 400. Not even close. The LS 400 might has copied some E-class exterior styling but it was original everywhere else and soon became the best selling import luxury sedan and set THE BAR for others to follow. In contrast the Genesis is a mix of copy from everyone and hasn't set any bar for anything. It still is a great car.

Old 07-06-10, 08:40 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that a lot of Hyundai's proponents are, interestingly enough, Japan-bashers who view Hyundai as an alternative to their beloved GM cars.
Old 07-07-10, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
The Genesis model is understandable... because it's not that far a cry from a fully loaded Camry or Accord,
craziest thing i've read on CL in a while.

yeah, fwd plasticky family econo boats are so similar to the elegant rwd v8-optional genesis. i find the genesis to have much more in common with an e-class than an accord! it certainly blows away a lexus es350 for example.

as for the equus - well, who knows how it will do and as has been said, maybe hyundai really doesn't mind if they don't sell many, it certainly puts "fud" into the marketplace in a huge way!
Old 07-07-10, 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
They keep comparing themselves to Tier 1 brands, and they haven't been able to sway the masses with their sales.
uh, they have 1 vehicle thus far and last time i looked the genesis is far outselling many luxury vehicles (over 2000 in June). i was just down in miami and saw lots of genesis sedans among mercedes, audis, and bmws and interestingly saw almost no lexus.

yeah there's a coupe that doesn't sell but coupes never sell that well although i don't get it as the genesis coupe has got to be one of the best bargains of all time. i just met someone who bought one though, and is totally smitten.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-07-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 08:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Are they splitting the coupe and sedan sales yet? I thought they just mashed them all together?
Old 07-07-10, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
I could totally see Hyundai sell it's cars without having to start a luxury division, but at the same time, when you dish out $50K of your hard earned money for a car, one would like to get the whole experience. Owning a Lexus, I gotta admit that when I bring my car in for service, it's kinda nice to have the coffees, cappucinos, etc.
does that cappuccino make you feel better when you take it in for a recall for valve spring replacement?

Originally Posted by Allen K
Are they splitting the coupe and sedan sales yet? I thought they just mashed them all together?
don't know but i'd guess they sell 1000 sedans and 20 coupes a month.

edit: i see genesis sold 2280 in june. (vs. 539 for GS)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-07-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is no LS 400. Not even close. The LS 400 might has copied some E-class exterior styling but it was original everywhere else and soon became the best selling import luxury sedan and set THE BAR for others to follow. In contrast the Genesis is a mix of copy from everyone and hasn't set any bar for anything. It still is a great car.
I agree that the Genesis sedan is not in the LS's league, but I think he was refering to the Equus, not the Genesis. Like I said earlier, I won't make a direct comparison myself until I see the Equus in person, but it is no secret that Hyundai is targeting the LS as potential competition. Whether they succeed or not, and how much, remains to be seen.
Old 07-07-10, 09:09 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

i saw it at the 2009 LA car show, it's pretty darn big and it looks very "asian" in style. It has a very VIPstyle front grille and a hood mascot.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that the Genesis sedan is not in the LS's league, but I think he was refering to the Equus, not the Genesis. Like I said earlier, I won't make a direct comparison myself until I see the Equus in person, but it is no secret that Hyundai is targeting the LS as potential competition. Whether they succeed or not, and how much, remains to be seen.
Old 07-07-10, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still apples to oranges. The Equus is a huge step for Hyundai. The LS was a huge step for the entire automotive landscape.

Also the Equus is going to be sold in what 200-1,000 units a year?

Now what could be incredible is the 2nd gens of these cars. Hyundai continues to improve and the next ones could be really something special for a vastly cheaper price. (Obama continues to chat with S.Korea over trade)

Old 07-07-10, 09:28 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Here's how Lexus defines luxury;

"Making the most of every moment"

It is defined as, not just a car, but an entire ownership experience, from purchase, to trade. Can Hyundai offer that?
Old 07-07-10, 10:00 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet

It is defined as, not just a car, but an entire ownership experience, from purchase, to trade. Can Hyundai offer that?
Great points! I think time will tell if they can succeed at all of the above. But for right now they have yet to arrive at all the above mentioned points. Most notably trade in and that's hugely affected by how people perceive the brand and product itself. This should be interesting to watch for the next few years. Think...Just 10 years ago we would have never had this discussion. That alone is remarkable.
Old 07-09-10, 09:55 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

as nice as their new model line up are becoming, I think hyundai is making a huge mistake by not branching off a luxury brand such as the "Genesis".

they could have just made their nicest and biggest dealerships as suppliers for both "genesis" and hyundai..... and leave the remaining little ghetto dealerships for hyundai itself. A marketing team and a few dealerships with upgraded luxury amenities, how much could that have costed them ?

lots of buyers are "brand" chasers and will only buy if it's perceived as a high end brand and that's where hyundai will lose out on when it's all said and done.
Old 07-09-10, 11:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Where they can succeed or not, it should be clear to Toyota that the next generation LS MUST completely blow away the current LS.

Win for the consumers.
Old 07-10-10, 12:02 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

actually if you really tally it up, the equus isn't even all that.

the biggest awe factor is the fact that it was put out by hyundai, the company known to put out budget for the masses type of vehicles.

I don't even know if it would get the same awe factor if it was put out by infiniti or acura.

Originally Posted by STIG
Where they can succeed or not, it should be clear to Toyota that the next generation LS MUST completely blow away the current LS.

Win for the consumers.
Old 07-10-10, 01:23 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet

I can't say I've ever been wowed by Lexus. When I bought my IS F, my salesperson did not know the vehicle at all, made false statements, and refused to honor the price I was emailed. I ended up writing to corporate over what happened. Last time I took the IS F in for service, they scratched my rims (with tool marks) and claimed it was nothing. Finally last year when I asked for an email quote on a car, they tried calling me even though I explictly asked NOT to be called and blew me off when I insisted on their price being in writing. Got sick of the run around and bought a Porsche instead. I can't imagine Hyundai doing much worse in my book.

Quick Reply: How the Hyundai Equus can succeed