Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How the Hyundai Equus can succeed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Exactly, no one should say the Genesis is outselling anything when no one knows the breakdown of figures.

1. No one knows the breakdown between sedan/coupe sales.
2. The coupe as you mentioned is 22k-33k
3. The sedan is 33k-45k BEFORE discounts.
4. The sedan's price ENDS where the mid-size competition STARTS
5. The Genesis coupe/sedan are outsold by the 3, IS, C,ES, G37 sedan/coupe, A4/A5 sedan/coupe, Avalon, Lacrosse, Taurus, Maxima. These cars are priced like the sedan and in many cases higher than the sedan and CLEARLY higher than the coupe.
It's hard to really compare the sedan and coupe, Mike....even in sales. They are two totally different vehicles in body, interior and (especially) driving characteristics. I can't think of another current vehicle line on the market where the coupe, with the same nameplate, is more different in so many ways from the sedan.
Old 09-14-10, 09:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's hard to really compare the sedan and coupe, Mike....even in sales. They are two totally different vehicles in body, interior and (especially) driving characteristics. I can't think of another current vehicle line on the market where the coupe, with the same nameplate, is more different in so many ways from the sedan.
True,Mike.
However,when you read of Genesis sales,many articles will have total Genesis sales which will include coupe and sedan.
Old 09-14-10, 10:13 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right on, untill we know the real split then it's hard to compare to the GS in sales.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Honestly, until we know the sedan/coupe split the sales number for the Genesis doesn't mean much because the coupe starts at $22k while the sedan starts at $33k.
Old 09-14-10, 10:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I am comparing prices. Maybe I am not explaining myself clearly enough. Let me try again.

Genesis coupe is a 22k-32k vehicle
Genesis sedan is a 32k-45k vehicle
These are before sizable discounts.
They sell around 2200-2800 units a month on average.

We do not know the sales breakdown of either.

What we DO know is Hyundai stated they want 50k sold a year. 20k Sedans and 30k coupes

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008/...0_genesis.html

Hyundai's first entry in the rear-wheel-drive luxury segment, the Genesis is just hitting dealerships. Next year Hyundai is also going to launch the Genesis coupe and together Hyundai is hoping to sell 50,000 units combined in the US.

John Krafcik, Hyundai’s vice president for product development said that Hyundai is targeting 20,000 sedans and 30,000 coupes sales per year in the US. Hyundai hopes that both models will elevate its image in the US.
Seeing they sell maybe 2200-2800 coupes a month an educated guess would be they sell about 800-1200 sedans a month. This is merely a guess on my part based on the 20/30 split Hyundai wanted.

Now I am not doubting the Genesis is a competitor to the GS or M37/56 etc. Some people cross shop them, some comparos have the Genesis there. However it is doing a great disservice to anyone to say "oh the Genesis sells better then those 2" when
1. The Genesis hasn't met its own sales goals
2. The Genesis is substantially cheaper in price and if you lease.

Logic when then dictate if the Genesis was priced like those competitors, from 47k-70k it would sell even less.

So then lets see how the Genesis compares to cars it is priced near. Mind you since we don't have a sales breakdown, the Genesis has a PRICE advantage as the coupe is a 22k-32k car. This is just for comparisons sake.

The Genesis sedan/coupe priced from 22k-45k sells around 2200-2800 a month.

Well lets see here;
The 3 series from 30k-80k sells 6-8k units a month
The IS series from 32k-70k sells 3-4k units a month
The ES from 32k-45k sells 4-5k units a month
The C class from 30k-75k sells 5-6k units a month
The LaCrosse priced rom 27k-38k sells 5-8k units a month

etc etc

Again, this is not to discredit the car(s). It is to eliminate this myth from some that people are trading in their Lexus, Benz, BMWs left and right for it and the car is some huge selling vehicle.

I think it has only helped and elevated the brand, missing its sales goal or not. They have a HUGE uphill battle to climb and to their credit they are doing battle with some huge heavyweights To say it crudely "they have some *****"
sedan-BMW, Lexus, Benz,
coupe-Mustang, Camaro, 370Z/G37

So how does this relate the what the thread is about (before IS-SV stones me )

The Equus has a sales goal of 2,000-3,000 units a year. The Genesis hasn't met its sales goals at all (not even close). Thus chances are the Equus is also in for a huge uphill battle.

That said, I welcome it with open arms and give them full credit for bringing it to market. Takes some nuts.

Old 09-14-10, 11:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If the Genesis was priced at 47-70k, it wouldn't sell at all. On paper it may be an equal car to the GS/M/5/E, but it is easily outsold by the supposedly "inferior" yet more expensive ES/G/fugly TL, and even similarly priced non premium models like Maxima, Avalon, the new Buick, etc.

The only way they can make the Equis succeed is if they offer $299 lease rates.
Old 10-11-10, 06:16 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Exactly, no one should say the Genesis is outselling anything when no one knows the breakdown of figures.

1. No one knows the breakdown between sedan/coupe sales.
2. The coupe as you mentioned is 22k-33k
3. The sedan is 33k-45k BEFORE discounts.
4. The sedan's price ENDS where the mid-size competition STARTS
5. The Genesis coupe/sedan are outsold by the 3, IS, C,ES, G37 sedan/coupe, A4/A5 sedan/coupe, Avalon, Lacrosse, Taurus, Maxima. These cars are priced like the sedan and in many cases higher than the sedan and CLEARLY higher than the coupe.

The point the author and others completely forget that I keep making is the Genesis has not met its OWN sales goal of 50,000 units a year.

Picking on he GS and M37/56 is a very weak argument at best.
Ughh, not this again.

The Genesis sedan is outselling the coupe by roughly a 2:1 margin.

Saying that the Genesis sedan is being outsold by models in a lower class is akin to pointing out that the LS400 was being outsold by the E Class and 5 Series (both, when fully loaded, were more expensive than the LS400).

And Hyundai's sales goals for the sedan is 20K; which it may very well attain this year (or at the least get very close).

Otoh, sales of the coupe stink, but still better than the 370Z or RX-8 (Asian coupes are facing a difficult market).

Originally Posted by Och
If the Genesis was priced at 47-70k, it wouldn't sell at all. On paper it may be an equal car to the GS/M/5/E, but it is easily outsold by the supposedly "inferior" yet more expensive ES/G/fugly TL, and even similarly priced non premium models like Maxima, Avalon, the new Buick, etc.

The only way they can make the Equis succeed is if they offer $299 lease rates.
Uhh, so why didn't Lexus price the LS400 on par w/ the S Class and 7 Series?

Oh, right, b/c it was a new competitor.

Why hasn't Lexus still not price the LS460 on par w/ the S and 7?

Or the GS w/ the 5 or E Class; or the IS w/ the 3 or C Class?

Geeze - you 2 are like a bad, broken record.

Btw, the refreshed Genesis sedan due in early 2011 is already doing the price-creep; early reports are that it will sell at around $47K for the V8.

Last edited by YEH; 10-11-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 06:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry, we have moved on from this. No need to bump an old thread to state the same thing that has been said many times before.

Last edited by GFerg; 10-11-10 at 06:47 PM.