Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Source: Hyundai Veracruz to be replaced by long-wheelbase Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 10:21 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny ....I just had this conversation with my best friends the other day.

They have a brand new Sante Fe and a Vera Cruz passed me on the highway while I was chatting. Is the difference that the Cruz is larger and has a third row? If it is, it's not visibly distinguishable. She couldn't tell me what the upgrade was even though they looked at these vehicles.

The Sante Fe sure seems like the better bang for the buck....but please correct me if I'm wrong . I love their Sante Fe (we joke that it looks almost the same as our ML ) , but am genuinely curious as to the value of the price premium of the Cruz.
Old 06-25-10, 10:45 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
There is talk of a 3.0 Diesel engine from Hyundai Europe that Hyundai America might bring over.
IF EVER you guys get the 3.0 liter S-CRDI VGT diesel engine, then you'd bet that it will be one hell of a blast. I sure felt it's power and smoothness during my test drive and man was it awesome.

Indeed, the best Korean Diesel engine EVER
Old 06-26-10, 05:35 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Yup... The RX was the target. They made many comparisons. I once saw the Azera lowered on some 20's and I was impressed. I dont know why it didnt sell better
We had an Azera rental car once, it was nice, but the interior was still very cheap.
Old 06-26-10, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
We had an Azera rental car once, it was nice, but the interior was still very cheap.
You really can't compare the quality/workmanship of the Azera's interior with that of either the Santa Fe or the Veracruz. Both, for some reason, are a noticeable step above the Azera.
Old 06-26-10, 06:59 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually am surprised that the Veracruz did not do well, because it was priced lower than an RX, and quality almost at par with the RX and with a 3rd row for versatility... but I really think the problem was the make. It's just tough to try to sell it as a "luxury" or "entry luxury" with the Hyundai name on it.

I mean, are we to believe that Honda, Toyota, and Nissan did not do their homework when it came time to launch a luxury division and offer higher priced vehicles. All three chose to launch with a new make to sell these vehicles. I think at the time that all three launched their luxury division, their quality and customer confidence was at the level of Hyundai, if not better, and even they did not think to launch under the parent brand.

I think Hyundai has dropped and will drop another big one with the upcoming Equus in sales. People just are not going to pay top dollar for a Hyundai no matter what the quality and price savings is over a comparable vehicle.

Yes, everything in life has a "first" but Hyundai to be the first to succeed in selling a luxury vehicles under the parent brand.. NOT gonna happen. It's against human nature....

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 06-26-10 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I actually am surprised that the Veracruz did not do well, because it was priced lower than an RX, and quality almost at par with the RX and with a 3rd row for versatility... but I really think the problem was the make.

It's just tough to try to sell it as a "luxury" or "entry luxury" with the Hyundai name on it.
Agreed. But the RX sells like it does for a reason. Nothing else in its class can equal its refinement and/or smoothness of operation. The Veracruz equals it in the body/interior quality, but the RX drivetrain refinement, like many Lexus products, has to be sampled to be believed. And almost nobody (even Hyundai) can paint a car like Lexus does.

But you're right that part of the Veracruz problem was lack of customer consideration. Part of it, as I just pointed out, is the RX itself. And part of it is the general excellence of the smaller and cheaper Santa Fe, which offers much of the Veracruz's refinement/luxury at a lower price. And the Santa Fe, in some ways, is more pleasant to drive.....its steering feels less-clumsy than that of the Veracruz.