Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari to launch a new model each year to keep up with Lamborghini

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 02:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Ferrari to launch a new model each year to keep up with Lamborghini

2010 Ferrari 599 GTB FioranoEnlarge Photo
Ferrari will follow Lamborghini’s lead by launching at least one new or heavily updated model every year as the automaker attempts to keep up with growing waiting lists while still attracting new customers to the brand.
Ferrari will maintain its four main model lines, consisting of the California and 612 Scaglietti in the GT division and the 458 Italia and 599 GTB Fiorano in the sports car division.
Each year, one of the four main models will be replaced by an M or modificato model. This M model will come roughly four years after a car’s initial launch and will essentially feature a revised design plus powertrain and chassis enhancements. After four years, this M model will then be replaced by an entirely new model--in essence, each Ferrari model will be replaced every eight years, with a major update in the middle of its life cycle.
On top of this, a flagship supercar like the Enzo will be launched every decade or so, and Scuderia and Spyder variants of Ferrari’s other models will also be launched.
On the horizon is a replacement for the 612 Scaglietti, which is expected to be launched in the first half of next year. This will be followed by a replacement for legendary Enzo supercar towards the end of 2011 and a replacement for the 599 GTB in 2012.
One of Ferrari’s main concerns is the relatively long wait time customers are faced with when purchasing one of its cars brand new. Currently, it’s not unusual to have to wait between 18 months and two years for delivery of a new Ferrari model so, understandably, many customers are looking elsewhere. Ferrari wants to reduce wait times to less than a year but the key won’t be building more cars, instead the plan is to build cars quicker.
Attached Thumbnails Ferrari to launch a new model each year to keep up with Lamborghini-ferrari_100313689_s.jpg  
Old 06-24-10, 02:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Being able to produce the cars quicker would definitely benefit them. I wonder how they'll go about that
Old 06-24-10, 09:52 PM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hire more people? for what you pay a worker in a year versus what you lose in revenue makes no damn sense
i understand they want the car to be exclusive, but that is not working so well anymore when companies like lamborghini is making some bad *** cars and making more of it.
Old 06-25-10, 07:54 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would also have an issue with plunking down a huge down-payment, waiting for 18-24 months, and then, by the time my "New" Ferrari arrives in my driveway, there are TWO newer models out?

It was one thing when Ferrari's were timeless, instant-classics...and I'm not saying they're not still to some extent. But, in this day and age, ESPECIALLY with the high-end performance cars, there's A LOT of technology in them...and that technology gets outdated FAST!!

It sucks when it's outdated on arrival.
Old 06-27-10, 02:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Ferrari is going to go broke. "Real" Ferrari enthusiasts buy them for their "only we can have them" status. If Ferrari tries to be a global market competitor in ANY class the die hards will snub them, the middle class will eat them up, and the nameplate will be worth a Jag in 5 years.