Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Midsize sedan comparative road test: Suzuki Kizashi #1...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 10:51 AM
LexFather

Post 2010 Midsize sedan comparative road test: Suzuki Kizashi #1...

http://www.auto123.com/fr/suzuki/kiz...0&artid=119465

Final rankings:
7: Mazda6 GT-I4
6: Honda Accord EX-L NAVI
5: Subaru Legacy PZEV
3:Ford Fusion SEL
3:Toyota Camry SE
2: Hyundai Sonata Limited
1: Suzuki Kizashi

This is not a typo: A Suzuki has taken the crown in this fight! This one-two punch from the little giant Suzuki has turned the category on its ear. Seriously. At $29,995 as is, the Kizashi just about out-values the value leader, the Sonata. Get a load of this: AWD, CVT transmission, leather, 18-inch wheels, dual-zone climate control, sunroof, 10-speaker Rockford Fosgate audio system, keyless entry and start, paddle shifters, and on and on...

The best part about the Kizashi is the drive.

Are you starting to get the picture? If not, clear your mind and take a gander at this one. In the aesthetics category, the Kizashi (pronounced as you read it) came in first, same for accessories and comfort. Before we elaborate here, it is important to mention that the car scored poorly, the lowest marks in fact, where interior volume and ease of ingress and egress are concerned. However, once aboard, passengers are treated to supportive seats, a surprisingly well-configured driving position and a decently quiet cabin.

The best part about the Kizashi is the drive. Once again, on top of the standings here, the Suzuki betters the pack with responsive brakes offering the shortest distance in the 100-0 km/h test, strong positive steering and a European-inspired, taut and compliant suspension setup. The worse component of the Kizashi is its CVT gearbox. Behaving more like a first-gen Xtronic CVT from Nissan, the transmission screams and holds the redline, bogs power down from a standstill and nearly chokes the otherwise adequate 180-hp 2.4L engine.

"The Kizashi is a revelation. This elegant sedan is well equipped, well built and as stimulating to drive as a 3-Series BMW! Unfortunately for it, its very Japanese name is not only hard to pronounce but difficult to remember!" - Luc Gagné

Old 06-25-10, 11:01 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job Suzuki.

The Ford Fusion probably could have gotten a better mark if it was actually a Ford Mondeo.
Old 06-25-10, 11:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw the test drive program on the speed channel featuring the kizashi and they were actually saying that Suzuki was trying to hit the 3 series performance level. I dont know about that but I will say that the car gives you a lot for the money
Old 06-25-10, 11:15 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad there are no Suzuki dealers ANYWHERE
Old 06-25-10, 11:20 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
now that I think about it I have no clue where there is a suzuki dealership. I would have to look it up online
Old 06-25-10, 12:06 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Despite being down by 20hp, the Camry ties the Sonata in being the quickest in 0-100 km/h, beats the Sonata in the quarter-mile, and beats it in fuel economy by quite a margin (see page 5 of the article). The Kizashi, winner of this comparo, doesn't even come close to the Camry's performance and fuel economy (it's dead last in both in fact). The Camry loses only due to its cheap and dated interior, which is sad for a Toyota. Hopefully Toyota will pay much greater attention in this regard in the next generation, which should be right around the corner by now.

Last edited by Mister Two; 06-25-10 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 12:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Agreed. The Camry has held up very well overall, this generation.
Old 06-25-10, 12:23 PM
madoka
Pole Position

I still cannot get over how gorgeous the concept was and how utterly pedestrian the car ended up.
Old 06-25-10, 01:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Stunning.

Suzuki seems to have become the clear value leader surpassing Hyundai.

How remarkable is it that Suzuki and Hyundai are ranked #1 & #2 in this best seller class over the likes of Toyota and Honda?

3 years ago you would be laughed at for predicting it.
Old 06-25-10, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
now that I think about it I have no clue where there is a suzuki dealership. I would have to look it up online
Yes, a shortage of auto (vs. motorcycle) dealers, right now, is probably Suzuki's Achilles heel. Some dealerships have only service....no sales. This should help:

http://www.suzukiauto.com/shopping_t...ealer_locator/
Old 06-26-10, 09:58 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good job suzuki!
I actually thought their SX4 was a great car, so I hope they did a good job on this one too.
Old 06-26-10, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Yeah you can't find the car anywhere.....sad case of a great car and poor dealer network

Old 06-26-10, 12:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Last night I drove by a nearby Suzuki dealership to look at the Kizashi - CLOSED. There were two sedans next door on the lot of the Ford dealership who owned the Suzuki store.

It looks like it will now be a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury (for now), Suzuki shop.

BTW the Kizashi looks pretty good in person. Don't know if I'd drop over $20k on one though.
Old 06-26-10, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

BTW the Kizashi looks pretty good in person. Don't know if I'd drop over $20k on one though.
If you get a chance, DO drive one....I don't think you will be disappointed. I drove one a few months ago....and did a CL review. Though it's not necessarily my favorite car, there are a lot worse ways you could blow 20-25K today. It's generally worth what it costs.

Heck, even at the same dealership I was at (which sold both Suzukis and Dodges), there were lots worse ways to blow your money.....the entire row of new Calibers and Nitros parked there.