Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

International Engine of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 07:15 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default International Engine of the Year

It is just amazing that the 3.0 TT BMW engine is still being awarded/recognized as one of the "International Engine of the Year", with all the problems and failures it has experienced. Also the fact that BMW itself is fazing it out because they can not fix it. Talk about REDICULOUS!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...amg-v8#3112986

Koz
Old 06-28-10, 07:18 AM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid is as stupid does
Old 06-28-10, 07:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
It is just amazing that the 3.0 TT BMW engine is still being awarded/recognized as one of the "International Engine of the Year", with all the problems and failures it has experienced. Also the fact that BMW itself is fazing it out because they can not fix it. Talk about REDICULOUS!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...amg-v8#3112986

Koz
There are no problems with the engine. The HPFP which is made by Siemens & not BMW has been an issue with some X35 vehicles. A small percentage (yes this is the case) of owners have been affected.. I'm on my second 335 with the current one having some underhood mods & have never had an issue with the HPFP.

The N54 is a fantastic engine when it comes to performance, fuel economy, sound, smoothness & brings a grin to my face every time it leaves other cars in the dust with not much effort

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 06-28-10 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 07:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a better link..

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyea...s_10/25_3.html

BMW 3-litre DI Twin-Turbo
“BMW’s holdout in-line six is still the gold standard
for power delivery and response” Jason Cammisa, Automobile Magazine
Last year saw BMW dominate the top two positions in this category – a feat it has repeated this year with the same contenders. Again, the 3-litre DI twin turbo has the edge on its diesel sibling, with its classic in-line six configuration charming the jury.

As John Carey from Wheels Magazine stated, “Punching well above its capacity division, this downsizing trendsetter hasn’t been bettered in my opinion. Great power delivery, superb refinement and not too thirsty.”

Offering 306bhp from its light alloy and magnesium straight-six engine, the engine can accelerate a 1-Series coupe from zero to 62mph in 5.3 seconds before going on to an electronically limited top speed of 155mph. Peak torque of 400Nm from just 1,300rpm through to 5,000rpm ensures smooth yet rapid progress and in-gear flexibility.

Jason Cammisa, West Coast editor of Automobile Magazine in the USA, was similarly impressed: “With refinement that no V6 engine can match, BMW’s holdout in-line six is still the gold standard for power delivery and response – not to mention efficiency.”

Courtesy of high-precision direct injection for the most efficient burn of fuel mix, and Bi-VANOS variable valve technology, combined with lightweight engineering principles, the engine ensures frugal motoring while maintaining its top-end performance. The 2,979cc engine posts a 9.2 l/100km (30.7mpg) figure on the combined cycle and a CO2 emissions figure of 220g/km.

This engine, and indeed its diesel equivalent, have beaten off some stiff competition, including the popular 3-litre diesel unit favoured by Jaguar, Ford, Land Rover and PSA; Audi’s venerable 3-litre diesel; and Porsche’s characterful 2.9-litre flat-six. Such company really shows the quality of this powerplant.

One of Turkey’s leading automotive journalists, Halit Bolkan, said that this BMW engine is “a typical Munich-made miracle”

Results
1. BMW 3-litre DI Twin Turbo (135i, 335i, 535i, X5 35i, X6 35i, Z4) 332

2. BMW Diesel 3-litre Twin Turbo (335d, 635d, X3 35d, X5 40d, 740d) 278

3. Audi 3-litre DI Supercharged (S4, S5)

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 06-28-10 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 07:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
There are no problems with the engine. The HPFP which is made by Siemens & not BMW has been an issue with some X35 vehicles. A small percentage (yes this is the case) of owners have been affected.. I'm on my second 335 with the current one having some underhood mods & have never had an issue with the HPFP.

The N54 is a fantastic engine when it comes to performance, fuel economy, sound, smoothness & brings a grin to my face every time it leaves other cars in the dust with not much effort
Ah, I see. So by that same standard, there is nothing wrong with Toyotas, just the gas pedals inside them that are made by CTS.

Got it.
Old 06-28-10, 07:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is indeed an excellent engine, with so much low end torque that only stability system is able to keep the car from going sideways when you gun it from a standstill.

But there are other issues with the overall setup that leave me concerned.
Old 06-28-10, 07:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Ah, I see. So by that same standard, there is nothing wrong with Toyotas, just the gas pedals inside them that are made by CTS.

Got it.
Correct.... There is nothing wrong with my suit jacket.. It just has lining in it on such a hot NYC day. This thread is about the International Engine of the year though.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 06-28-10 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm with DASH on this one. Though I don't own one, I agree the 3.0 TT is an excellent powerplant Definitely one of my favorites....as is the 335i that goes with it.

Another powerplant that is probably deserving of the award (and another one of my favorites) is the VW/Audi 2.0L Turbo.
Old 06-28-10, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

bmw s65, yay!
Old 06-28-10, 08:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I 've added some goodies to my N54 motor
Old 06-28-10, 09:02 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Let’s see, BMW is on their 4th redesigned HPFP (Regardless of who makes it for them) and the 2010 models are still experiencing these failures. Independent surveys’ (Not BMW) are showing an approx 34% failure rate and a 20% failure rate for a replacement pump. I'm not an expert on what is considered a "Small Percentage" but I don't think these numbers would be considered small. Also from what I'm being told by friends that own these engines, the injectors are failing at an even higher rate. Two of my friends have thrown in the towel and cut their loses and got rid of them. They refused to be driving around with a vehicle that can go into limp mode at any time (And have). You can believe whatever you want to but you are only fooling yourself!

Koz
Old 06-28-10, 09:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
Let’s see, BMW is on their 4th redesigned HPFP (Regardless of who makes it for them) and the 2010 models are still experiencing these failures. Independent surveys’ (Not BMW) are showing an approx 34% failure rate and a 20% failure rate for a replacement pump. I'm not an expert on what is considered a "Small Percentage" but I don't think these numbers would be considered small. Also from what I'm being told by friends that own these engines, the injectors are failing at an even higher rate. Two of my friends have thrown in the towel and cut their loses and got rid of them. They refused to be driving around with a vehicle that can go into limp mode at any time (And have). You can believe whatever you want to but you are only fooling yourself!

Koz
LOL..The bold text above tells the story. I'm not fooling myself. I'm on my 2nd 335 & not relying on 2nd & 3rd hand info. Nothing like actual ownership experience. FYI... The N54 has not been "fazed out"... It powers the newly introduced 335is & 740i bimmers.
Old 06-28-10, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

regarding the HPFP problem, here's how i think about it. it's definitely a bmw problem, thinking it as some other company's problem is just silly. it's under the hood of a bmw, bmw signed off on it, bmw is putting warranty on it, it's bmw problem. you go to mcdonald and get a burger and the patty is bad, you go back to the mcdonald cashier. they are not going to send you back to the company that makes the patty. very simple. thinking it otherwise is just in plain denial

on the other hand, if this is about the engine (i am not knowledgeable to say), should the HPFP be considered as part of the engine? or it's considered separate? if it's separate, then one can say that the engine itself is indeed very strong and powerful, it's just the stuff around it that's flawed
Old 06-28-10, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

LOL..The bold text above tells the story. I'm not fooling myself. I'm on my 2nd 335 & not relying on 2nd & 3rd hand info. Nothing like actual ownership experience. FYI... The N54 has not been "fazed out"... It powers the newly introduced 335is & 740i bimmers.
i guess my personal friend who is on the 4th HPFP on his 335i must be filing faulty claims?

let's face it, the HPFP has problems, and it's not only a small percentage of people having that problem. a lot of owners (just like you) have spoken. at the same time, i also know people with a lot of miles and no issue. it's hit and miss (much like most other bmw products), but discounting the problem or diluting it to other company sound quite silly.

but like i said in previous post, the problem is there, whether it's "part of the engine" is another. if it's not considered part of the engine (for this international engine of the year award), then the problem has no case here to discount the engine
Old 06-28-10, 09:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
regarding the HPFP problem, here's how i think about it. it's definitely a bmw problem, thinking it as some other company's problem is just silly. it's under the hood of a bmw, bmw signed off on it, bmw is putting warranty on it, it's bmw problem. you go to mcdonald and get a burger and the patty is bad, you go back to the mcdonald cashier. they are not going to send you back to the company that makes the patty. very simple. thinking it otherwise is just in plain denial

on the other hand, if this is about the engine (i am not knowledgeable to say), should the HPFP be considered as part of the engine? or it's considered separate? if it's separate, then one can say that the engine itself is indeed very strong and powerful, it's just the stuff around it that's flawed
HPFP does not = Engine. That was my point to the op. There are many owners still on their original pump with over 50k on the clock.

Quick Reply: International Engine of the Year