Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 10:27 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mustang sounds like a great car overall, but I find that speedo extremely hard to look at. I guess it would be a bit better in MPH instead of KPH, but they should add a digital readout in the center of it.

What's the torque curve like? Does it pull all the way to redline?
Old 06-29-10, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
The Mustang sounds like a great car overall, but I find that speedo extremely hard to look at. I guess it would be a bit better in MPH instead of KPH, but they should add a digital readout in the center of it.
The speedo is essentially (though not exactly) a copy of the one used in the 2 Gen 1967-68 Mustang. The 1Gen 64-66 used a horizontal one.
Old 06-29-10, 03:05 PM
Sufiztic
Driver School Candidate

The Convertible is Fugly. The hard top looks wayyy better. I also test drove a 6sp 5.0 and was really impressed with the power/handling/finish. I don't need to pay an extra 25-30K for a BMW badge just cuz it has cuter touches.

I'm not a Ford guy what so ever, but Ford has come a long way and has caught my attention. This new 5.0 will run circles around the new M3, especially with all that extra cash you save. I'm the kind of guy that when I want a weekend toy, forget fit and finish, bring on the Power/Performance baby. Nothing like blowing the doors off a BMW in a Ford
Old 06-29-10, 08:19 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sufiztic
The Convertible is Fugly. The hard top looks wayyy better. I also test drove a 6sp 5.0 and was really impressed with the power/handling/finish. I don't need to pay an extra 25-30K for a BMW badge just cuz it has cuter touches.

I'm not a Ford guy what so ever, but Ford has come a long way and has caught my attention. This new 5.0 will run circles around the new M3, especially with all that extra cash you save. I'm the kind of guy that when I want a weekend toy, forget fit and finish, bring on the Power/Performance baby. Nothing like blowing the doors off a BMW in a Ford
You're dreaming if you think the GT 5.0 is going to "run circles" around an E90/92 M3. You can find numbers that put them close but it isn't going to pull on an M3 and it will still lose badly on a track with turns.

I fully agree that Ford has come a long way with some of their new vehicles and there can be a pretty hearty discussion on bang for the buck with the new GT 5.0.
Old 06-29-10, 11:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

after I drove that Camaro SS on vacation I have a new appreciation fore these muscle cars. I would never buy one but they are a blast to beat the crap out of while on vacation. The styling on the new Mustang is so much nicer and more refined than the outgoing generation. I think they did a good job but can we get rid of the retro style dash. I want a modern dash in my modern car.
Old 06-30-10, 06:14 AM
LexFather

Nice review and nice rental . Ford has done a great job and even stock it sounds great.

Old 06-30-10, 08:25 AM
Sufiztic
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I might have over stated the "Run Circles", but with a few tweaks to the new 5.0 Suspension, the M3 now has to worry about not being able to shake a Ford like its use too.
Old 06-30-10, 08:27 AM
Sufiztic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice review and nice rental . Ford has done a great job and even stock it sounds great.

I was also surprised when I turned the Key, I thought it was an ungraded exhaust. When the salesman said it was stock, I was shocked!
Old 06-30-10, 08:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel the same way. I love the M3, but not everyone can spend double the money for it.

It's a muscle car, not an exotic.

It ain't perfect, but it will please speed freaks.
Old 06-30-10, 08:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You're dreaming if you think the GT 5.0 is going to "run circles" around an E90/92 M3. You can find numbers that put them close but it isn't going to pull on an M3 and it will still lose badly on a track with turns.
it doesn't have to run circles around the M3...to be mentioned in the same sentence as a car twice its price makes it a success in my book.
Old 06-30-10, 02:58 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Very true bagwell...
Old 06-30-10, 03:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was also surprised when I turned the Key, I thought it was an ungraded exhaust. When the salesman said it was stock, I was shocked!
You should hear the Camaro SS. I would drop the car into neutral while rolling down the strip in Waikiki and rev it up. Many people at the lights would yell "Rev it up!!". It was a blast. The torque was awesome as well. The car pulls in the same gear like I dropped 2 gears in my GS
Old 06-30-10, 04:40 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Maybe its the color of the car you showed but it looks super fugly in that picture. but overall the new mustang is a beast. especially with that new V6.
Old 06-30-10, 04:55 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I fully agree that Ford has come a long way with some of their new vehicles and there can be a pretty hearty discussion on bang for the buck with the new GT 5.0.
Originally Posted by bagwell
it doesn't have to run circles around the M3...to be mentioned in the same sentence as a car twice its price makes it a success in my book.
I acknowledged that it was a feat for Ford and that it was good value?

You're logic suggests that there is direct correlation between value and performance, which I don't completely agree with. There are lots of cars that get outperformed by lower priced cars. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want....say a V8 Vantage over an M3/C63/IS F. Like the GT 5.0 the same argument can be made for an Evo or Sti....great performance at a great price. Still not interested in one though.
Old 06-30-10, 05:35 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
You should hear the Camaro SS. I would drop the car into neutral while rolling down the strip in Waikiki and rev it up. Many people at the lights would yell "Rev it up!!". It was a blast. The torque was awesome as well. The car pulls in the same gear like I dropped 2 gears in my GS
on the new V8 SS its whisper quiet on the freeway in 6th too (on the M/T)

Quick Reply: Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0