Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 05:38 PM
Sufiztic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U know something guys, I've never had the pleasure of owning a high class car like a Benz, Lex, Audi or BMW. My wallet has only been able to reach into the "Lower Class Group". I've owned in order of owning my 1st car a "89" 2dr Sentra, "97" 200 SX SE-R, "98" Eclipse GS-T, 2003 Neon SRT-4 450hp-470lbs, and now my 2009 G8 GT.

All the cars mentioned, I've had/having great experiences with and great reliabilty. They weren't the best cars to look at but got me where I had to go.

My Point: I"ve had quiet a few friends with way nicer cars growing up and they had more car problems with there 3-4 times higher priced cars then my lil grocery getters. They would call me to pick them up or give them rides while there cars got fixed. That being said, I think the new 5.0 will outlast the M3 reliability wise and way less expensive to fix.

Now if I was wealthy, I'd say the Heck with it, give me the new TT M5, SL 65 AMG Black Series, Audi R8 and LFA But since I'm not, taking me to your Specials please

Last edited by Sufiztic; 07-01-10 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 06:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Eclipse GS-T is so badass. Was 99 the last year they made GS-t?

Originally Posted by Sufiztic
U know something guys, I've never had the pleasure of owning a high class car like a Benz, Lex, Audi or BMW. My wallet has only been able to reach into the "Lower Class Group". I've owned in order of owning my 1st car a "89" 2dr Sentra, "97" 200 SX SE-R, 99 Eclipse GS-T, 2003 Neon SRT-4 450hp-470lbs, and now my 2009 G8 GT.

All the cars mentioned, I've had/having great experiences with and great reliabilty. They weren't the best cars to look at but got me where I had to go.

My Point: I"ve had quiet a few friends with way nicer cars growing up and they had more car problems with there 3-4 times higher priced cars then my lil grocery getters. They would call me to pick them up or give them rides while there cars got fixed. That being said, I think the new 5.0 will outlast the M3 reliability wise and way less expensive to fix.

Now if I was wealthy, I'd say the Heck with it, give me the new TT M5, SL 65 AMG Black Series, Audi R8 and LFA But since I'm not, taking me to your Specials please
Old 06-30-10, 06:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
You should hear the Camaro SS. I would drop the car into neutral while rolling down the strip in Waikiki and rev it up. Many people at the lights would yell "Rev it up!!". It was a blast. The torque was awesome as well. The car pulls in the same gear like I dropped 2 gears in my GS
Lol, they were probablyaking fun of you. Jk
Old 06-30-10, 06:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
Maybe its the color of the car you showed but it looks super fugly in that picture. but overall the new mustang is a beast. especially with that new V6.
Sorry for taking fugly color or fugly pictures. I will email you naked women pictures to make it up.
Old 06-30-10, 06:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Maybe its the color of the car you showed but it looks super fugly in that picture.
better?

then there's a different beast...

Last edited by bagwell; 06-30-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 06:55 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice pics on the ford site

http://www.fordvehicles.com/mustang/
Attached Thumbnails Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0-gallery_v6_50_full_06.jpg   Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0-gallery_v6_50_full_04.jpg   Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0-gallery_v6_50_full_05.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 06-30-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 05:54 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Default IS-F vs 2010 Mustang GT 5.0

I had a dyno session today and a 5.0 Mustang GT showed up. His only mods were intake/tune vs my headers, exhaust, intake pipe.

Conclusion: The new Mustang GT is certainly underrated from the factory!

Old 09-11-10, 06:15 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know, i just drove the 5.0 and was not impressed. I think my cts-v had more power and just plain meanness when you flored it than the mustang does. Yea it is fast but i dont belive it is made out to what everyone said, just my opinon.
Old 09-11-10, 06:45 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
I dont know, i just drove the 5.0 and was not impressed. I think my cts-v had more power and just plain meanness when you flored it than the mustang does. Yea it is fast but i dont belive it is made out to what everyone said, just my opinon.
You're comparing the entry level V8 to your CTS-V. I'm sure if I compared the power of my E63 to the 5.0 I wouldn't be that impressed either. The supercharged version of the Mustang (I forget what it's called) will show you some meanness. You also have to take into consideration the price point which is quite large. With the $30k + you save with the 5.0 you can add a supercharger, upgrade the suspension, and upgrade the brakes and you'll end up with something that will beat cars like ours although the refinement won't be there but not everyone can afford (or are willing to pay for) the refinement.

I'm just really glad to see that an American brand can make an affordable competitor to the European powerhouses of M and AMG
Old 09-11-10, 08:46 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Nice car...my only peeve with it is the side profile still doesn't quite look modern enough. Everything else is impressive indeed.
Old 09-11-10, 10:45 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent three days in July flogging the new '11 GT 5.0 Convertible.

First, I will say it is surely a winner in the performance "bang for the buck" category.

After that it get's much more gray for myself. Yes, the interior has been improved. But still not anywhere near the Tier 1 competitors. The leather (pleather?) was nice with the white stitching. The gauges looked retro, but looked like a 5 year old had painted them onto the plastic. There was no telescopic steering wheel and the seats were a complete joke. You could literally feel yourself sliding around when pushing the car (and I didn't really get to work it that hard).

The automatic transmission was another issue. I would expect that the manual would be a much more entertaining drive, because the auto was flat out lame. Yes it was respectably smooth, but if you're driving a performance automobile it would sure be nice to be able to put it into the rpm range you were looking for....ie. paddles or at least a stick that you can move in and out a la the F 8 speed, DCT, PDK, etc.

The exhaust sound was much more tame than I would expect out of an American muscle car. The performance was ok. Didn't feel as fast as my F, it almost felt like turbo lag trying to move it. When pushed into a corner at higher speed (ie. 170 km/h) it had nowhere near the stability of my F, so I would assume far less than an M3. I'm curious as to what the stock tires are. This one had Pirelli PZero Nero's which are A/S and not true performance tires. It was decent in a straight line.

Power top was quick and efficient. Trunk space was very good for a convertible. Stereo was decent.

Overall, like I said earlier, a good "bang for the buck" car, but still not a true competitor to the M3/C63/IS F if luxury is any consideration.
Old 09-12-10, 07:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
better?

then there's a different beast...

Ahhh... my daily fix... thx!!!

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
... like I said earlier, a good "bang for the buck" car, but still not a true competitor to the M3/C63/IS F if luxury is any consideration.
And there is the TRUE difference in the segment... pure, hardcore, hairy- knuckled power vs luxury and sophistication...
Old 09-12-10, 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

mustang bang for the buck is impressive.

but i don't like the guages where the speedo/tach are so far apart with the 4 liittle guages between.

but the car's definitely got 'grin factor'
Old 09-12-10, 08:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
Sorry for taking fugly color or fugly pictures. I will email you naked women pictures to make it up.
Apology accepted. And hopefully you didn't send that email.

And to think I rented a Prius on my last visit to Canada.....