Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 06:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0

Went to north of the border over the weekend and rented this car. Actually I reserved a Kia Rio but they gave me this for extra 15$. It was a pretty good deal, I thought. Besides, I was actually really interested in this car because a lot of press compared this to the E92 M3.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/16/2...w-m3-tie-game/

Here goes my short review.

It actually was an impressive car. It sounded very good, fit and finish is much improved than the one I drove last year (2008MY), and the handling was actually pretty decent. A little bit slow to response to your inputs but I guess it's ok. Downshifts are quick and smooth.

After driving that car, I still think M3 30k premium over the 5.0 is still well justified. Even though, these two cars still have pretty much identical stats, you can't really put a price on the refinements and precisions that M3 has over the stang. It was sort of like comparing the sledgehammer to the razor blade. They both will get the job done but how they go about doing the job is completely different. I, for one, much prefer the precision of the surgical blades to that of a sledgehammer.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

British Columbia was really beautiful.

Here is what I have waiting for me at home.

Last edited by STIG; 06-28-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 06:23 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But the sledge hammer is a bigger chunk of metal
Old 06-28-10, 06:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Gotta love the "Five-Oh" lol
Old 06-28-10, 10:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the Mustang to be compared to the M3: that's impressive.

And although the performance isn't as refined, it does attract a lot of attention and debate, as well as to save a "few" bucks.

It really goes to show how well Ford has been able to change and challenge people's perception of the brand; their product line-up can please a whole lotta people.

It's finding its mojo, and it looks good...
Old 06-28-10, 10:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Stick with what you have at home.
Old 06-28-10, 11:39 PM
HEWITT
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally hate mustangs and think they look ugly. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-29-10, 03:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

For the practical driver, amazing how the new Mustangs ALWAYS enter the discussion....

Thx much for the review!!!
Old 06-29-10, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the write-up.

I agree with you that, for an extra $15, as long as you didn't have to drive on snow or slick surfaces, where the typical high-powered American ponycar s**ks, the Mustang GT was a nicer drive than an econobox Kia Rio....though the Rio is not a bad car for its class.

I like the complete instrumentation in the Mustang.........gauges for oil pressure, volts, and engine-temperature. That is something that many vehicles today (in fact, most) lack....though you generally do find them in ponycars. I'd like to see them across the board.....but that probably won't happen, as it is simpler and cheaper to just use warning lights.

Did you try out the adjustable dash-light color control...or weren't you driving after dark? That feature is something that, until now, has been exclusive to the Mustang, but I understand some of the new versions of the upcoming Fiesta will also have it.
Old 06-29-10, 07:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HEWITT
And you're certainly entitled to it.
Old 06-29-10, 07:28 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For the Mustang to be compared to the M3: that's impressive.

And although the performance isn't as refined, it does attract a lot of attention and debate, as well as to save a "few" bucks.

It really goes to show how well Ford has been able to change and challenge people's perception of the brand; their product line-up can please a whole lotta people.

It's finding its mojo, and it looks good...
Gotta agree with that. Ford has been improving so much lately under the new CEO.

A few years back, a mustang would never made it to my short list. I thought it was a complete POS. Things have changed and it changed fast.
Old 06-29-10, 07:31 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the write-up.

I agree with you that, for an extra $15, as long as you didn't have to drive on snow or slick surfaces, where the typical high-powered American ponycar s**ks, the Mustang GT was a nicer drive than an econobox Kia Rio....though the Rio is not a bad car for its class.

I like the complete instrumentation in the Mustang.........gauges for oil pressure, volts, and engine-temperature. That is something that many vehicles today (in fact, most) lack....though you generally do find them in ponycars. I'd like to see them across the board.....but that probably won't happen, as it is simpler and cheaper to just use warning lights.

Did you try out the adjustable dash-light color control...or weren't you driving after dark? That feature is something that, until now, has been exclusive to the Mustang, but I understand some of the new versions of the upcoming Fiesta will also have it.
Thank you, sir.

I thought about trying those dash light color control for a second but I don't know where the button is and I don't really want to go through the trouble of finding it. It was kinda amusing when I read it on the reviews but didn't really interest me much.
Old 06-29-10, 07:34 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
Stick with what you have at home.
I will be sure to do that, Fay

I drove my car as soon as I get back and I love it. Every time I push my car hard, it makes me appreciate it more and more. I sound like a stuck up whenever i say this (I really hate BMW fan boys) but I feel like BMW //M division still dominate this market segment.
Old 06-29-10, 07:35 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
For the practical driver, amazing how the new Mustangs ALWAYS enter the discussion....

Thx much for the review!!!
It sure is very practical solution for the amount of $$$ you spend. There's no argument there. Very impressive product.
Old 06-29-10, 07:37 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HEWITT
I never really thought the previous retro look good. But this one looks similar but a little more refined. I kinda like the look now.
Old 06-29-10, 09:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, good at what it's supposed to do and has significant sales to prove it's success. Thanks for the short, concise, to the point writeup and comparison to M3.

Always nice to get perspective after significant mileage in a review by an experienced enthusiast (and owner of some truly premium performance machinery). Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ultra short review:the Mustang 5.0