Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CAR & DRIVER Magazine is doing a 100,000 Hyundai Genesis review

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hell they did a survey in Atlanta and found the average car had 100,000 miles!

Probably more than that for taxis and some police cars.
Old 06-30-10, 11:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

100k is a hell of a test for a car. I usually get rid of mine at 100-120k. Thats when they become a pain i the ***. I hate having little issue with my cars. For me its almost a full lifecycle test of the vehicle. I dont know may people who drive their cars to 200k. That seems a bit far fetched to me
Old 06-30-10, 11:11 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
100k is a hell of a test for a car. I usually get rid of mine at 100-120k. Thats when they become a pain i the ***. I hate having little issue with my cars. For me its almost a full lifecycle test of the vehicle. I dont know may people who drive their cars to 200k. That seems a bit far fetched to me
100-120k is the deciding point, hope the Genesis does well but this reminds me of the V6 Honda Accord that was tested by one of the magazines, and the 0-60mph times where slower when the car had 30k on it, so I guessing this 100k is gonna be like renter/loaner mileage
Old 06-30-10, 11:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldnt say 100k is insane mileage , but after that the car is just not up to par. There are always little rattles, noises, seats are worn, leather is worn, cooling systems go, alternators go, plus all of the unexpected stuff that occurs
Old 06-30-10, 11:25 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree, that's why I stated above:

"I saw that yesterday, although I'm expecting the last 50K miles to be similar to the first 50K miles for the most part (other than the expenses for usual wear items of course)."

It's the 2nd 100K miles where it get's interesting and expensive for some owners, just ask a 5 or 7 series owner or GM car or truck owner (I know several with over 100K, and the stories are not good).
If you have over 100k and own the car then certain costly fixes should not be a problem, I have a friend who owns a 94 Maxima and she *****es every time something breaks, car gets nothing but oil changes, nothing else, things break cause they have never had any preventative maintenance, you can only go so many miles past the fail safe point, she is probably a good example of what most owners do to their cars, car probably cost her 100 bucks a month, but the repair bills hit her every 6 months to a year for something major, so she see it as one lump sum.
Old 06-30-10, 11:35 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I baby my cars and they still get problematic. My G35 had me at the dealership all the time when she got over 100k miles. I had cd players break, window motors, seat motors, VDC system failure, and even a few bad bushings. In the end when the car gets that old and you are paying lets say 5-600 a month for the car its annoying when you pay more than a monthly payment to repair the car . I have a 125k warranty on my GS. After that she is gone.
Old 06-30-10, 02:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
200k is put it to death time.. An AWD V8 Genesis may be down the pike for me
Old 06-30-10, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
200k is put it to death time.. An AWD V8 Genesis may be down the pike for me

Though there are exceptions, of course, and there is no one set prediction for any given car, in general, 200K is about the average service life of an average Honda/Toyota product.....150K-175K for many other brands. Some vehicles, like the tough-as-nails Toyota 4-Runner, do even better.
Old 06-30-10, 03:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

even if the car still runs, everything else is falling apart, and most people dont want to replace parts on an old car unless its really needed. I just have this image of a guy with 200k on his old *** Lexus with the seat covers on the seats because the leather looks horrendous, paint is faded, its noisy, and got lots of rattles and squeaks.

I think many of us hold on to our cars for that amount time for emotional reason as well. The trick is to dump her before she burns you with a major repair. Thats why I would never keep a car that long. Then what happens after it burns you, and you drop like 3k to fix a few major things, is that you feel obligated to keep the old car for longer since you put some money into it. IMO its best to cut ties and say bye bye to the old beater and hello to the new car that wreaks of that awesome new car smell ( or at least not that nasty stale smell that old cars get and the musty A/C smell
Old 06-30-10, 05:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though there are exceptions, of course, and there is no one set prediction for any given car, in general, 200K is about the average service life of an average Honda/Toyota product.....150K-175K for many other brands. Some vehicles, like the tough-as-nails Toyota 4-Runner, do even better.
When if you lease cars and never own it you probably will never come close to 100k miles let alone 200k. A lot of people want a new car after a couple of years and that is their choice.

Old 06-30-10, 06:04 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Since Hyundai has a 100k mile warranty, I'm interested in seeing expenses/repairs that weren't covered by their warranty.
Old 06-30-10, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
When if you lease cars and never own it you probably will never come close to 100k miles let alone 200k. A lot of people want a new car after a couple of years and that is their choice.
Certainly a lot of people never see the 100K mark with their vehicles....or trade/sell/re-lease after a couple of years. But, in that case (particularly with a Honda/Toyota product that isn't totalled, abused, or badly damaged), someone else, such as the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owner, will take the cars out beyond the 100K mark....sometimes to the 200K mark or more. The average car today, through a lifetime of one or more owners, probably does 150K....Hondas and Toyotas, as I mentioned before, often more.
Old 06-30-10, 08:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2GS, I'll keep it until it dies. Its at around 120k now, and still drives like new.
Old 06-30-10, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Since Hyundai has a 100k mile warranty, I'm interested in seeing expenses/repairs that weren't covered by their warranty.
The Hyundai factory warranty is 5/60 bumper-to-bumper and 10/100 on the drivetrain. But here's where the disclaimers come in.....First, the full 10-year warranty is not transferable to another owner outside the immediate family (father, mother, siblings, etc...) if you sell the car to a stranger.....as I understand it, only the 5/60 part transfers, even on the drivetrain. Second, the 10/100 part, even in the drivetrain, covers only Hyundai-sourced parts (minus normal-wear parts, like clutch discs/linings). Non-Hyundai or contractor-sourced parts in the drivetrain get the 5/60 like the rest of the car. Hyundai provides a full list of what in the drivetrain is 5/60 and what is 10/100.

I've heard stories that some Hyundai dealerships have tried to talk new customers into believing that to keep the warranty in force, routine service must be done at Hyundai dealerships.....preferably the selling one. I've shopped with a number of friends,co-corkers, and ex-co-workers, helping them buy new Hyundais, and no one at any Hyundai shop I've ever been in has tried that. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that practice, if true, is illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Act.
Old 06-30-10, 08:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The cool thing about this review is that its not just performance numbers and a brief review after a couple of hours in a car.

Quick Reply: CAR & DRIVER Magazine is doing a 100,000 Hyundai Genesis review