Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CAR & DRIVER Magazine is doing a 100,000 Hyundai Genesis review

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The cool thing about this review is that its not just performance numbers and a brief review after a couple of hours in a car.
Agreed. It is true that you can tell a lot about a car, on the surface, in just 20-30 minutes, on a test-drive (I don't agree with those who say you can't). BUT, to gauge long-term durability, nothing can replace long-term use in the hands of customers. You can't just guess how long something is going to last.....and that is why automakers, today, spend so much time and money testing components for many thousands of miles, in extreme conditions, though even that doesn't necessarily guarantee reliability in the hands of customers..

And that's one reason why I like Consumer Reports' reliability data so much, though auto-enthusiast magazines also routinely do Four-Seasons and long-term tests (usually to 40-50K....100K is unusual). Road & Track, more so than C&D, Motor Trend, etc..... and the rest of the "enthusiast" mags, also keeps a limited data base on specific vehicle satisfaction rates and problem areas, but it is nothing like that or Consumer Reports or J.D. Power.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-10 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 08:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They should take several cars and test them for as long as they last with NO maintenance. Nothing - not even oil changes.

This is pretty much what some people do when they lease cars. My parents once leased an MDX and it lasted over 70k miles with no oil changes, and still ran perfect when they returned it
Old 06-30-10, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
They should take several cars and test them for as long as they last with NO maintenance. Nothing - not even oil changes.
..........And the engine decides to seize, from lack of oil, high up in the Rockies, or in the AZ desert 100 miles from nowhere? Or, even worse, in the middle of a gang-infested big city?
Old 06-30-10, 09:02 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've heard stories that some Hyundai dealerships have tried to talk new customers into believing that to keep the warranty in force, routine service must be done at Hyundai dealerships.....preferably the selling one. I've shopped with a number of friends,co-corkers, and ex-co-workers, helping them buy new Hyundais, and no one at any Hyundai shop I've ever been in has tried that. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that practice, if true, is illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Act.
You're correct with a caveat. You are not required to service your car at an authorized dealership, however, you are required to maintain the car per the manufacturer's schedule and should you use aftermarket or non-approved parts/fluids/etc and they cause a failure, the manufacturer is within their rights to deny a warranty claim.

In other words, if you use a cheap Chinese oil filter and it causes engine failure, expect the manufacturer to tell you to pound sand.
Old 06-30-10, 09:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rld14
You're correct with a caveat. You are not required to service your car at an authorized dealership, however, you are required to maintain the car per the manufacturer's schedule and should you use aftermarket or non-approved parts/fluids/etc and they cause a failure, the manufacturer is within their rights to deny a warranty claim.

In other words, if you use a cheap Chinese oil filter and it causes engine failure, expect the manufacturer to tell you to pound sand.
Yes, thanks, that part I knew. Maintaining the car according to the service/inspection schedule (the manufacturer's schedule, not necessarily the dealer's), and using either factory or factory-equivalent parts, applies not only to Hyundai, but to all automakers. Of course, as you point out, if you use a Lee, Purolator, Fram, etc...oil filter instead of a Hyundai-approved one, install it correctly, and the O-ring fails and lets the oil leak out and seize the engine, Hyundai may not accept the warranty claim for a new engine...your beef will then likely be with the oil-filter maker, maybe in court.

The problem was that (supposedly, because I never actually heard it myself), some Hyundai shops were restricting the warranty-requirements to only official Hyundai parts/service, which, under the Magnuson-Moss act, is illegal.
Old 07-01-10, 01:13 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this shouldnt be to bad putting a 100k on a new car. my buddies 92 accord that he drives every once in awhile has 250k on the odo. and we beat the **** outta the car. change oil, brakes, tires, and put gas in it. thats it, and it runs like a fricking champ.
Old 07-01-10, 01:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wonder if the added complexities of the more modern cars will make them more prone to issues as the car ages
Old 07-01-10, 07:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the added complexities of the more modern cars will make them more prone to issues as the car ages
Inevitably, yes.

But car's technologies change more rapidly than in the past. A tech-savvy car (especially niche cars like electric and hybrid cars) will be obsolete in less than 10 years...
Old 07-01-10, 07:17 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

This is pretty much what some people do when they lease cars. My parents once leased an MDX and it lasted over 70k miles with no oil changes, and still ran perfect when they returned it
This is an 09 Maxima that was driven 27k before it started smoking and running weird, owner was a young girl who forgot to change the oil, as a last resort she had the oil and filter changed, and somehow got a bunch of fake receipts.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1909372&page=1
Old 07-02-10, 01:06 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och

trust me when I say the owner who got the car after your parents got totally screwed on the vehicle.
Old 07-02-10, 05:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

trust me when I say the owner who got the car after your parents got totally screwed on the vehicle.
Well, thats always a risk when buying an used car, you dont know what you'll get. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get totally screwed.
Old 07-02-10, 02:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

70k with no oil change isnt poor maintenance . Its just total disregard for the vehicle. Just imagine missing 14 oil changes.
Old 07-02-10, 02:58 PM
lexjohnny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och

sorry, but that's the most insane thing i've ever heard. 70k miles? what were they thinking?
Old 07-03-10, 09:18 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

70k with no oil change isnt poor maintenance . Its just total disregard for the vehicle. Just imagine missing 14 oil changes.
no car will make it 70k without oil changes, it probably had had a change every 15-20k to make it to 70k

one of the reason I left the auto trade behind, certain people especially those who refuse to change the oil, when they do bring the car into the dealer/shop, they don't want to pay for anything and they want everything repaired like new, also some of the hardest people to deal with, nothing like dealing with someone who is convinced they change the oil, they just made up a lie, and believe it no matter what

no oil changes leads to **** poor gas mileage, fill ups every other day and barely hitting double digits
Old 07-04-10, 11:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

oil changes are so cheap and relatively easy to have done so I was surprised someone would say they went that long with no oil changes. I cant even imagine doing that to a car wether its leased or not

Quick Reply: CAR & DRIVER Magazine is doing a 100,000 Hyundai Genesis review