Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CAR & DRIVER Magazine is doing a 100,000 Hyundai Genesis review

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 01:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default CAR & DRIVER Magazine is doing a 100,000 mile Hyundai Genesis review

Hey guys I got my copy of CAR & DRIVER Magazine yesterday and noticed that they were going to do a 100k Hyundai Genesis review. I am very happy to see this because they are usually objective and they do take these cars on some serious trips. I think the Hyundai will do well . This test will really show wether Hyundai has designed and built a product that will hold up to the test of time and abuse as well as the rest of the members in this luxury class. Just wanted to share the news.

PS In the article they make many many references to the release of the LS400 back in the day and the similarity in the release of the Genesis. I know many of us like the Genesis and the progress that Hyundai has made but this test is special because it will really tell us what the car is made out of. All cars feel great new. This way we will see how well she holds up to the test of time as opposed to lap times, braking numbers, 0-60 , etc

Last edited by I8ABMR; 06-30-10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

100K miles, on a C&D vehicle, is a real test of durability, because not only do the C&D testers tend to drive them hard, but the roads in MI, especially in the winter/spring, are more potholed than the surface of the moon (C&D is headquarted in Ann Arbor, MI).
Old 06-29-10, 03:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that yesterday, although I'm expecting the last 50K miles to be similar to the first 50K miles for the most part (other than the expenses for usual wear items of course).
Old 06-29-10, 05:39 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

I really wish I could see how well a 14 year old Genesis with 1/4 million miles fares
Old 06-29-10, 05:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A 100,000 mile test is a great idea. It really shows how reliable the car is, and how well it lasts, how well the materials and paint resist wear, and so on.

But one thing to keep in mind, in order for any car to last, it needs to be maintained well and not abused. Some people can completely destroy a car in a duration of a three year lease, and other people can keep an average car for a decade in like new condition.
Old 06-29-10, 06:51 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
But one thing to keep in mind, in order for any car to last, it needs to be maintained well and not abused. Some people can completely destroy a car in a duration of a three year lease, and other people can keep an average car for a decade in like new condition.
This is too true. I've seen cars that are less than 5 years old and they look worse than my 23 year old pick up.
Old 06-29-10, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Did you say C&D objective? Lol.

Old 06-29-10, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did you say C&D objective? Lol.
In this case, though, they aren't comparing the Genesis to any other similiar vehicles, or making a value judgement on it. They are just keeping it, driving it (presumably) regularly as a DD on short trips and cross-country cruises, and reporting on how many times it breaks down or malfunctions, how much maintenance it needs, accident damage, and/or how much the non-warranty items cost. I don't see that so much a matter of being "objective" as simple math and record-keeping. A number of auto mags do that.....not just C&D.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 07:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100,000 miles on today's cars is just getting warmed up. Most cars shouldn't need any repairs out of maintenance/wear items. If they do, then it's probably an unusual flaw.

My '07 Toyota is approaching 90,000 miles and looks and runs as if it's got 100 miles. No repairs - not even a brake job. Only the oil and tires have been changed.

No repair costs and 40 mpg FTW!
Old 06-29-10, 09:27 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a tremendous difference between putting 100k miles on a car in what I would figure to be no more than 2 to maybe 3 years and putting 100k on a car in, say, 7 years. I have driven plenty of cars that have had huge mileages put on them very quickly, assuming they're maintained properly, a 2 year old car with, say, 100k miles on it really can be just as nice and tight as one with 30k on it. Meanwhile.. take a car that's 7-10 years old, and there's a HUGE difference.

When I've paid attention to these long term tests, they seem to rack up at least 30k a year if not more, and a car like a Genesis is going to pretty much live on the interstate for these guys. It's an interesting test but it's not indicative of long term durability methinks.
Old 06-29-10, 10:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In this case, though, they aren't comparing the Genesis to any other similiar vehicles, or making a value judgement on it. They are just keeping it, driving it (presumably) regularly as a DD on short trips and cross-country cruises, and reporting on how many times it breaks down or malfunction, how much maintenance it needs, accident damage, and/or how much the non-warranty items cost. I don't see that so much a matter of being "objective" as simple math and record-keeping. A number of auto mags do that.....not just C&D.
exactly
Old 06-30-10, 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, show me the numbers when it's all done.
Old 06-30-10, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, show me the numbers when it's all done.
Yeah but as someone stated 100k is nothing. Many of us here have cars with twice that mileage. That might have sounded impressive 20 years ago but not today.

Hell they did a survey in Atlanta and found the average car had 100,000 miles!

Old 06-30-10, 09:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah but as someone stated 100k is nothing. Many of us here have cars with twice that mileage. That might have sounded impressive 20 years ago but not today.

Hell they did a survey in Atlanta and found the average car had 100,000 miles!
I agree, that's why I stated above:

"I saw that yesterday, although I'm expecting the last 50K miles to be similar to the first 50K miles for the most part (other than the expenses for usual wear items of course)."

It's the 2nd 100K miles where it get's interesting and expensive for some owners, just ask a 5 or 7 series owner or GM car or truck owner (I know several with over 100K, and the stories are not good).
Old 06-30-10, 09:43 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I always enjoy reading long term durability tests. For me, it's a much better measure of a car's "performance". Durability & reliability are probably very high up on the list of things most shoppers are looking for in a car.

Anybody got any links to C&D long term reviews?

Quick Reply: CAR & DRIVER Magazine is doing a 100,000 Hyundai Genesis review