Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Altima and Sonata win Consumer reports best family sedan comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 12:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

I totally disagree with CR's findings. The Altima's interior still feels and looks cheap and dated. And the exterior is ghetto at the rear (lights). It does drive nice though.
I think not recommending the Camry is rediculous. The whole recall thing is a long OVER. If they look at the entire whole and take into account how many zillion Camry's have sold, it should still be recommended. Or let me say this.... they'll recommend it again shortly, just like they started recommending the GX within one month's time.
Old 06-30-10, 04:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike it's better than the last gen but anything is better. Even with a better interior this time it's still worst in class. CR blew it there not to mention it's devoid of refinement.
Take CR for what it is. They're reliability ratings are the only data that I consider as valuable. They are not enthusiasts, they are not automotive editors. Here's how CR tests, and ranks cars:

The car with the most features for the lowest price, wins, period. That's the way it has always been at CR. It won't change anytime soon.
Old 06-30-10, 06:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Take CR for what it is. They're reliability ratings are the only data that I consider as valuable. They are not enthusiasts, they are not automotive editors. Here's how CR tests, and ranks cars:

The car with the most features for the lowest price, wins, period. That's the way it has always been at CR. It won't change anytime soon.
OH REALLY?????

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...troduction.htm

Consumer Reports operates the largest and most sophisticated independent automobile testing center devoted to the consumer interest anywhere in the world. Situated on 327 acres in rural Connecticut, the Consumer Reports Auto Test Center is home to more than 20 staff members, including automotive engineers, technicians, and support staff. Consumer Reports buys, anonymously, all the cars it tests, about 80 per year, and drives each for thousands of miles.

Formal testing is done at the track and on surrounding public roads. The evaluation regimen consists of more than 50 individual tests. Some are objective, instrumented track tests using state-of-the-art electronic gear that yield empirical findings. Some are subjective evaluations-jury tests done by the experienced engineering staff. These videos will provide further insights into the ways that Consumer Reports evaluates new cars to help its readers make smart, informed choices. (Watch our car-review videos.)
Old 06-30-10, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Agreed. Their reliability data is the best. Period.

No. It's more than just features-per-content. To get a spot on CR's Recommended list, a reliability rating of average or better has to first be established....and it also has to pass CR's own driving tests and do well in the Federal crash-tests. And, with an all-new model, the reliability forecast can no longer be based on that model's past-generation record. It must now establish a new reliability record of its own first, before it is recommended. That was done in response to the problems with the all-new 2006 Camry V6 models and the defective transmissions...CR had recommended the all-new 2006 Camry, based on its past reliability....and this time, it didn't work.

If an all-new or redesigned car does well and passes all of the other tests without having a reliability rating, CR notes that, and advises potential buyers accordingly....it does not (yet) go on the Recommended list, even in spite of its good performance.
Old 06-30-10, 07:29 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course this turned into a "discredit the source and bash the winners thread". I won't go into how Altima rates against Camry because I have a largely emotional reaction or should I say UNreaction to the Camry. I had one for a week and it was so utilitarian and bland that I developed a hatred for the thing and couldn't wait to get my own car back. I haven't driven the new Sonota yet but I'm seeing tons on teh street already.
Old 06-30-10, 07:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

^^ mmarshall and bagwell, I'm not referring to CR's recommended list. I'm talking about CR's comparisons. The cars are tested, as stated above, and differences are pointed out by CR. That's where it ends. Regardless of which car performed better, regardless of which car got better highway mileage, regardless of which car rode nicer, quieter, smoother, etc. CR always names the winner of the comparo as the best value per dollar (lowest price, most features). The outcome of CR's comparisons are 99% predictable.
Old 06-30-10, 08:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

OK, here are the Top Road Test scores for this year (not reliability, just road tests) from CR. In order:

Lexus LS 460, Infiniti M35 AWD, BMW 135i, Porsche 911 CarreraS, Infiniti M35 RWD, Mazda 5, Infiniti G37, Nissan Altima V6, Corvette Z06, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6.

Don't know where these rank in price vs. competition but that's the list.
Old 06-30-10, 08:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
OK, here are the Top Road Test scores for this year (not reliability, just road tests) from CR. In order:

Lexus LS 460, Infiniti M35 AWD, BMW 135i, Porsche 911 CarreraS, Infiniti M35 RWD, Mazda 5, Infiniti G37, Nissan Altima V6, Corvette Z06, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6.

Don't know where these rank in price vs. competition but that's the list.
Which leads me to believe interior materials and quality don't mean that much considering the Infiniti's, the 135, the Altima and the Vette....

Old 06-30-10, 08:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which leads me to believe interior materials and quality don't mean that much considering the Infiniti's, the 135, the Altima and the Vette....
he said those are the tops in CR ROAD TESTS

they also have a best value category...(this is old data from 2009)

Consumer Reports highlights the best new-car value vehicles in nine vehicle categories—small cars, family cars, upscale cars, hatchbacks/wagons, sporty cars, minivans, small SUVs, midsized SUVs, and pickup trucks. The complete best-value list and the cost-per-test-point results are available in the 2009 Annual Auto Issue. Here are some of the highlights:

Best Value Small Cars:
Honda Civic EX, Honda Fit (base), Hyundai Elantra SE, Toyota Corolla LE, and the Honda Civic Hybrid

Best Value Family Cars:
Toyota Prius Touring, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Prius (base), Hyundai Sonata (4-cyl.), and the Honda Accord (4-cyl.)

Best Value Hatchbacks/Wagons:
Volkswagen Rabbit, Mazda3 hatchback, Scion xB, Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, and the Toyota Matrix

Best Value Small SUVs:
Toyota RAV4 (4-cyl.), Toyota RAV4 (V6), Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander (4-cyl.), and the Nissan Rogue

Best Value Midsized SUVs:
Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Nissan Murano, and the Honda Pilot

here's their criteria for overall best cars...

Our Top Picks are the best all-around models in their categories, based on their performance, reliability, and safety. They are chosen from the more than 280 vehicles we've recently tested and must meet our criteria in three areas:
Road test

Each must rank at or near the top of its category in our overall test score, which is based on more than 50 tests and evaluations.
Reliability

Each must have an average or better predicted-reliability Rating, based on the problems CR subscribers reported in our latest Annual Auto Survey.
Safety

Top Picks must perform adequately in overall safety if tested by the government or the insurance industry. (For some models, we do not have enough crash-test data to assign an overall safety Rating.) In addition, electronic stability control, a proven lifesaving safety feature, must be readily available. All of our Top Picks provide standard ESC and curtain air bags.

Each model's report card shows its Rating in each area, if available. Prices are the suggested retail amount for our tested cars.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...p-picks-ov.htm

Last edited by bagwell; 06-30-10 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 06-30-10, 09:46 AM
LexFather

Old 06-30-10, 09:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Interesting.

I actually thought I was checking out a VW CC.
Old 06-30-10, 09:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, but it reminds me that I don't like stepped lip wheels.
Old 06-30-10, 11:02 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder how the Inline4 Turbo is gonna hold up to the general car owner, who does not know anything about cars, let alone engines, I know enough A4 owners who's Turbo 4cylinder loves to drink oil, and the cars are not even at 30k, should make for some pretty interesting pre-owned/off-lease sales down the road
Old 06-30-10, 11:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

DAMN!!!!!! Thanks for sharing those pics. Now I like the Hyundai sonata even more. I am blown away at how nice it looks worked a little. I think that looks better than any other car in its class.

Thanks for posting the pics Mike. Awesome!