Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Altima and Sonata win Consumer reports best family sedan comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 02:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default The Altima and Sonata win Consumer reports best family sedan comparison

Consumer Reports: Redesigned Hyundai Sonata Now Rivals Nissan Altima

Altima and Sonata now at top of class for family sedans

YONKERS, N.Y., June 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The redesigned Hyundai Sonata is now one of Consumer Reports' top-rated family sedans, posting an "Excellent" score, and scoring just behind the four-cylinder Nissan Altima.

The Sonata has agile handling, a steady ride, good accommodations, easy-to-use controls, and impressive performance and fuel economy for the class.

Two freshened versions of the Nissan Altima posted "Excellent" overall scores topping Consumer Reports' tests of four family sedans for the August 2010 issue. Along with the Altima and the Sonata, the new Suzuki Kizashi and the Chevrolet Impala were part of the test group. The Kizashi posted an "Excellent" overall score and the Impala a "Good" score.

"The Sonata has been transformed from a humdrum car into a really nice stylish car with impressive fuel economy, all at a competitive price," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Connecticut.

The Altima's 2010 freshening includes standard electronic stability control, which make the sedan's handling more secure at its limits.

While both versions of the Altima are Recommended, the Kizashi and the Sonata are not Recommended because they are too new for Consumer Reports to have reliability data. The Impala scored too low in CR's testing to be Recommended. CR only Recommends vehicles that have performed well in its tests, have at least average predicted reliability based on CR's Annual Auto Survey of its more than seven million print and Web subscribers, and performed at least adequately if crash-tested or included in a government rollover test.

Prices ranged from $21,800 for the Sonata GLS to $30,335 for the V6-powered 3.5 SR Altima.

Full tests and ratings for all five sedans appear in the August issue of Consumer Reports, which goes on sale June 29. The reports are also available to subscribers of www.ConsumerReports.org. Updated daily, ConsumerReports.org is the go-to site for the latest auto reviews, product news, blogs on breaking news and car buying information.

The Nissan Altima has been among the best family sedans rated by Consumer Reports for some time, and a freshening makes it better. A pleasant ride, handling balance and a quiet cabin add to its appeal. The Nissan Altima 2.5 S ($23,970 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price as tested), is powered by a 175-hp, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that is responsive and gets an impressive 26 mpg overall in CR's own fuel economy tests. The continuously variable transmission facilitates instant responses and adds to the fuel economy. Braking is Excellent. The interior is neatly finished. The 60/40-split rear seatbacks fold down to accommodate more cargo.

The redesigned Sonata is a major leap ahead of its predecessor. The ride is supple, yet composed, and handling is agile and responsive. Like many contemporary cars, the new Sonata has coupelike body styling, but unlike most, it has good rear-seat room, and its visibility remains decent. The Hyundai Sonata GLS ($21,800 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 198-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers smooth and responsive performance and gets an outstanding 27 mpg overall. The six-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly and responsively. Braking is Very Good. The interior is well-finished. Folding the 60/40-split rear seatbacks supplements the already large trunk.

The new Suzuki Kizashi is a capable car, but not quite the bargain sports sedan that it is marketed as. It's small for a family sedan, with a snug cabin and a tight rear seat. The ride is fairly stiff and handling is fairly nimble, but not overly sporty. The Suzuki Kizashi SE ($22,489 MSRP as tested) is powered by a 180-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that delivered just average performance and gets a respectable 25 mpg overall. The continuously variable transmission is smooth. Braking is Very Good. The interior is well-finished but not quite posh. The trunk is on the small side, but folding the 60/40-split rear seatbacks expands the capacity.

The dated Chevrolet Impala is overdue for a redesign. Although it's a large sedan, the cabin is less roomy than that of its smaller and less expensive Chevrolet Malibu sibling. Handling is clumsy, and powertrain refinement falls short. The Chevrolet Impala LT ($29,270 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 211-hp 3.5-liter V6 engine that gets just average performance and 20 mpg overall. Most modern transmissions have five or six speeds, but the Impala retains a four-speed automatic that shifts smoothly but is reluctant to downshift. Braking is Very Good. Fit and finish is second-rate. The trunk is large and folding the 60/40-split seatbacks expands its space.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/29/c...hyu/#continued

Last edited by I8ABMR; 06-29-10 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 02:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are the Camry and Accord ratings?

They weren't even mentioned in the article, although it's mentioned in the title?
Old 06-29-10, 02:05 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not surprised at all, Hyundai is making big moves.
Old 06-29-10, 02:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice win for Hyundai and Nissan. Considering the issues that this generation of Camry has seen, I am not entirely surprised.
Old 06-29-10, 02:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
What are the Camry and Accord ratings?

They weren't even mentioned in the article, although it's mentioned in the title?
I used them in the title because they are the ones who usually win these types of comparisons. All we ever hear is camry and accord, camry and accord, it gets a bit old. So I found this article to be refreshing and even a little exciting
Good job Nissan and Hyundai. Between the two I like the Hyundai more because of its styling. The silver brake lights on the Altima are reason enough for me to not buy the car. Its soooo 1990's

http://video.consumerreports.org/ser...tid=1419760800
Old 06-29-10, 02:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a bit misleading.

If the Camry and Accord have Excellent ratings too, then the Sonata didn't "win" perse, but "tied".
Old 06-29-10, 02:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

It says"Altima and sonata now top of class for family sedans". Accord and Camry are THE family sedans so they lost as well I would assume. Lets face it ....the camry and accord or old as hell ( especially the camry) and the styling isnt that great (accord in particular) and are in need of a refresh
Old 06-29-10, 02:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's a bit misleading.

If the Camry and Accord have Excellent ratings too, then the Sonata didn't "win" perse, but "tied".
I changed the title of the post so that its not misleading
Old 06-29-10, 02:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the magazine yesterday. No doubt the Sonata is in good company and CR noted the huge improvement over the last gen Sonata.

The hair-splitting is so subjective at the top in this class of cars, I can't be bothered.
Old 06-29-10, 03:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I read the magazine yesterday. No doubt the Sonata is in good company and CR noted the huge improvement over the last gen Sonata.

The hair-splitting is so subjective at the top in this class of cars, I can't be bothered.
I agree. The competition is good and the consumer benefits from it. The car makers stay on their toes and put out better cars. A win win all around.

There are reasons Camry and Accord are mentioned and compared all of the time, and other makes aspire to get to their level.
Old 06-29-10, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Having just turned in an Altima it got great MPG, it has room, it was reliable. No way in hell its better than the Fusion, Camry, Malibu ,Accord. NO WAY. NO WAY. The Altima has the refinement of tin foil.

Old 06-29-10, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Altima has the refinement of tin foil.
How is it like tin foil? In the past, you yourself have noted the vast improvements made after 2005. So have I......though, admittedly, I didn't own one like your wife did.
Old 06-29-10, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Mike it's better than the last gen but anything is better. Even with a better interior this time it's still worst in class. CR blew it there not to mention it's devoid of refinement.

Old 06-29-10, 10:01 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Having just turned in an Altima it got great MPG, it has room, it was reliable. No way in hell its better than the Fusion, Camry, Malibu ,Accord. NO WAY. NO WAY. The Altima has the refinement of tin foil.
I've got seat time in all of those cars and you're dead on. I used to work as the Used Car Manager at a Toyota store, and we had all of the above as trades, so, to see what the competition was like I drove them all. I found the Altima to be a really vile car and, IMHO, the Malibu about the best of the bunch (The Camry is great, but god is it boring to drive)

One of the scariest moments of my life was actually in an Altima... One got traded in so I thought I'd drive it for a day or so to see what it was like. I was, shall we say, unimpressed. I was driving it on the NY State Thruway near Suffern, NY when some nitwit slammed on their brakes, I did the same and the car went sideways.. at 70 or so the rear brakes locked up. This 2.5S didn't have ABS!!! FWIW, I didn't hit the brakes hard enough that they should have locked, and I have plenty of seat time in cars without ABS.
Old 06-29-10, 10:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have to admit I was surprised that the Altima would take the number one position. I dont like the styling but they do handle relatively well

Quick Reply: The Altima and Sonata win Consumer reports best family sedan comparison