Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Land Rover to reveal production LRX (Evoque revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 02:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Land Rover to reveal production LRX (Evoque revealed)

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/30/l...-lrx-tomorrow/

Even though Land Rover's baby LRX crossover won't make its public debut until this year's Paris Motor Show, the automaker will be giving the world an early sneak peek at the production model during a web unveiling tomorrow at 19:30 GMT (that's 3:30 PM for all of you in the Eastern time zone).

We'll have the full raft of details at that time, but right now, we understand that both front- and all-wheel drive versions of the LRX will be available, as well as a forthcoming hybrid model. What's more, while the original LRX spy shots stayed true to the two-door configuration of the concept, we've also spotted a four-door variant running around – an additional bodystyle that will doubtlessly expand the crossover's attractiveness to potential shoppers.
Attached Thumbnails Land Rover to reveal production LRX (Evoque revealed)-02-lrx-spy-kgp-may.jpg  
Old 06-30-10, 02:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that a coupe SUV?
Old 06-30-10, 02:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

After the X6 I think some of these manufacturers are heading in the wrong direction to match or beat the styling of these useless SUV ( or sports activity vehicles )
Old 06-30-10, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

looks like Benz is trying to get into the 2 door SUV/crossovers

BMW has the X6, Acura has the ZDX, heck, even Honda has the new Crosstour. Now, Mercedes-Benz is about to join the fray with its own coupe-crossover dubbed the GLC. Reports coming out of Germany claim Mercedes-Benz is working on the new model, which will slot into its ever-growing lineup sometime in 2014.
The GLC won’t be a high-end model but rather a stylish and relatively affordable coupe-crossover based on the same compact car platform that will underpin the next-generation B-Class. This means that the GLC will likely employ a transversely-mounted four-cylinder engine driving the front wheels in standard form. All-wheel drive capability should remain as an option.
Possible engines include a 1.8-liter four-cylinder unit with 204 horsepower on tap, as well as a 2.2-liter turbodiesel with as much as 250 horsepower available. These should serve the GLC well considering how small it will be, with an overall length expected to be less than 15 feet.
By building a smaller class of vehicle than the current BMW X6 and Acura ZDX, Mercedes-Benz won’t have to worry too much about the current field of competitors. However, BMW is thought to be working on a similar vehicle called the X4 and just today we saw spy shots for the upcoming 2012 Range Rover LRX that’s due for launch early next year.

I would call them SUVs, but they are stupid and useless vehicles
Old 06-30-10, 02:54 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, it could be almost as cool as

and then we might just be in business, but somehow I doubt it will actually be that capable.
Old 06-30-10, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
We'll have the full raft of details at that time, but right now, we understand that both front- and all-wheel drive versions of the LRX will be available,
A FWD Land Rover?

That's as silly, IMO, as the Non-Trail rated, unibody, compact-car based, FWD Jeep Compass and Patriot (at least the Patriot has a 4WD, Trail-rating option)

But some of this, I guess, was inevitable. Land Rover, especially now that it is no longer owned by Ford, has been hinting at the possibility of moving away from the image of tough-yet-comfortable Mountain-Goat off-roading, and designing vehicles better-suited for on-pavement suburban-shopping....the way most people actually use their SUVs nowadays.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-10 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 03:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Its very odd. The 2 door version is another odd thing about it. I have read that there will be a 3 door and 5 door version but we will know more tomorrow when the news is released
Old 06-30-10, 06:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well its not like LR has not made a 2-door truck before. The Defender was a model that they used to sell here. I see no issues with a FWD LR as long as AWD is at least an option. Its not like everyone is using these to go off road anyway. So might as well cater to those who will keep it on road.
Old 06-30-10, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Well its not like LR has not made a 2-door truck before. The Defender was a model that they used to sell here. I see no issues with a FWD LR as long as AWD is at least an option. Its not like everyone is using these to go off road anyway. So might as well cater to those who will keep it on road.
Yes, the concept of a car-based, hard-pavement, FWD Land Rover is a little hard to get used to (including myself) but that's why I remarked in my last post that it's probably inevitable. The age of SUVs being primarily off-road vehicles, for the most part, went out in the 1990's.
Old 07-01-10, 02:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This model is a lot shorter than I thought. Like Venza, Crosstour height, maybe shorter depending on how tall that guy is.

Link has a video of the the car.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/01/l...al-starts-now/
Old 07-01-10, 02:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting, and better looking than I expected. I find the overall stance and look of the car to be a bit awkward...just like the X6, ZDX, et al.

I think this could actually be a good seller for them. The next LR2 should take similar design cues and just add 2 more doors.
Old 07-01-10, 02:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks future forward.

But I think it's all about looks.

The car may not provide the functionality that people seek in a Land Rover SUV...
Old 07-01-10, 03:19 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I see a hint of the ford headlight styling cues

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Looks future forward.

The car may not provide the functionality that people seek in a Land Rover SUV...
you mean the prestigious mall crawler???
Old 07-02-10, 12:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Looks future forward.

I couldn't have said it any better. Thanks
Old 07-02-10, 01:49 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be very popular here, I like it.

Quick Reply: Land Rover to reveal production LRX (Evoque revealed)