Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 predicted to get new 6.4 L V8 and a BIG boost in power

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 03:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 predicted to get new 6.4 L V8 and a BIG boost in power

In a bid to stay competitive in the ever-constant muscle car horsepower wars, the 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 is set to get a big increase in power. We’ve already heard numerous rumors of a new 6.4-liter V8 replacing the current 6.1-liter unit, but now comes word that along with improved efficiency, the new engine will boast 480-hp and 460 ft-lbs of torque – increases of 55-hp and 40 ft-lbs respectively. The new engine is also touted to get ZF’s new 8-speed automatic transmission for improved performance and fuel economy.

As for the R/T models, they will retain the same engine and output levels, while the base SE will see significant improvements thanks to the use of a new Pentastar V6 engine, which just launched in the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. That new powerplant will bump output by 40-hp and 20 ft-lbs for a total of 290-hp and 270 ft-lbs of torque. Fuel economy should also get a boost, up from 18/25-mpg (city/highway) to 20/26-mpg.

A host of other changes are also set to debut on the refreshed 2011 model Challenger.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 predicted to get new 6.4 L V8 and a BIG boost in power-dg009_036cl.jpg  
Old 07-01-10, 03:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the three pony's, the Challenger is my favorite, style wise. Too bad it's built by Chrysler.
Old 07-01-10, 06:37 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question for me becomes, will the Charger get the same 6.4 dropped in to an SRT8 variant? (and how about a manual tranny please)

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Of the three pony's, the Challenger is my favorite, style wise. Too bad it's built by Chrysler.

It's a shame, especially since the Chrysler group may be on it's way out all together in the near future. While most of their offerings are just plain underwhelming, the Charger and Challenger are bonified hits. They just can't carry the corporation on their own....
Old 07-01-10, 07:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's best to get it now before CAFE Standards kill this in 6 yrs...
Old 07-01-10, 07:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It needs the extra power to be competitive!

Koz
Old 07-01-10, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Nice upgrades!

Old 07-01-10, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

With the Viper gone, this will probably take its place (at least for a while) as the King of the Dodge performance cars.
Old 07-01-10, 09:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Best of luck in having that make any significant improvement in sales or profits.
Old 07-01-10, 10:28 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

The muscle car HP war is ON! I'm looking forward to the 2012 Camaro SS with 550hp.

I think the retro design is spot on, and it would have been perfect if only they had made it about 15% smaller. In person it resembles a boat more than a car.
Old 07-01-10, 10:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by primecut
The muscle car HP war is ON! I'm looking forward to the 2012 Camaro SS with 550hp.

I think the retro design is spot on, and it would have been perfect if only they had made it about 15% smaller. In person it resembles a boat more than a car.
I agree, especially about the tuna boat sizing, no wonder the Mustang is the best-seller.
Old 07-01-10, 10:34 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I love this car, more power never hurts.
Old 07-01-10, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by primecut
Enjoy it while it lasts. The Day of Reckoning is coming in 4-5 more years, with new CAFE/emission controls. Fortunately, it will NOT be a complete repeat of the 1970s, because technology today is so much greater (and power can be gotten in other ways than displacement alone), but it seems obvious that the classic HP wars, as we know them today, will come to an end, just like they did after 1970.

True, the Challenger is noticeably larger than the Mustang (and, of course, larger than the original Challenger of 1970-74), but I think that is primarily because the Challenger was designed to appeal to the aging Baby Boomers of today, in their 50s and 60s, who want to relive their high-school days. Many of the Boomers, of course, are considerably larger and heavier today than they were in high school (just like the car itself). Look at me, for example....though not terribly obese, still 6' 2", 275 lb., and with size-15 shoes.

The Mustang, on the other hand, has always been popular, even with Generation X and Generation Y, many of whom lack the beer-bellies of the older Baby-Boomer crowd. So, being smaller, it is aimed at the younger crowds of today (and, of course, thinner Baby Boomers)

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-01-10, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, the Challenger is noticeably larger than the Mustang (and, of course, larger than the original Challenger of 1970-74), but I think that is primarily because the Challenger was designed to appeal to the aging Baby Boomers of today, in their 50s and 60s, who want to relive their high-school days. Many of the Boomers, of course, are considerably larger and heavier today than they were in high school (just like the car itself).
IMO, the Challenger is larger primarily because of the platform it was derived from. Yes, it looks a bit obsolete already.
Old 07-01-10, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, the Challenger is larger primarily because of the platform it was derived from.

Yes, there is merit to that view. The Challenger's platform was taken from the fairly large, RWD, Charger/Magnum/300 platform, which, of course, itself was at least partly derived from the Mercedes E-Class. The Challenger, being a coupe, got a somewhat shortened-wheelbase version of the platform, but there is still a lot of width to it. Still, most of the Challengers I see around my area seem to be owned by big, heavy Baby Boomers like me (and I saw my first purple one the other day).

Old 07-01-10, 01:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still, most of the Challengers I see around my area seem to be owned by big, heavy Baby Boomers like me (and I saw my first purple one the other day).

Coool, haven't seen a purple one in the flesh around here.

Quick Reply: 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 predicted to get new 6.4 L V8 and a BIG boost in power