Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NY Times: Bye Crown Vic Taxi Cabs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Post NY Times: Bye Crown Vic Taxi Cabs!

The Ford Crown Victoria served as the mainstay of taxi and police fleets. Its close cousin, the Lincoln Town Car, could reliably be found idling outside Lincoln Center or waiting to whisk a Wall Street type home for the evening.

But in a little more than a year, both models will go the way of the Checker cab. Ford Motor Company plans to shutter the Canadian plant that manufactures the cars and discontinue the recognizably bulky frame that gives them their shape. That means the end for vehicles that have come to symbolize the full spectrum of New York life, from private black sedans purring on Park Avenue to the ubiquitous sight of the yellow cab, great equalizer of the varied urban tribe.

“These cars are a facet of people’s everyday experience,” said David Yassky, the city’s taxi commissioner. “Whatever takes their place will have a real and tangible influence on the city’s aesthetic.”

Passengers should prepare for a bumpier, more cramped ride. Forget roomy trunks that fit a French-door refrigerator; the older models are yielding to smaller gas-and-electric hybrid vehicles with knee-bumping back seats and flimsier frames.

The impending departures have left New York’s livery world scrambling. The Taxi and Limousine Commission is holding a contest to design a new taxicab to replace the city’s 8,200 Crown Victoria yellow taxis. The Police Department will lose a fast-accelerating sedan it has depended on since 1992. And the black-car industry must replace 75 percent of its fleet.

Prophecies of the cars’ demise have come and gone: they survived one death notice in 2006 when Ford moved production from Michigan to Ontario. But widespread regulatory reform and industry financial troubles mean this is the true end of the road. The company says it believes that sales will drop off in coming years as more states require police and livery vehicles to meet stricter environmental standards — a high hurdle for gas-guzzlers like the Crown Vic and Town Car, which get about 16 miles a gallon in the city.

Fickle consumer tastes have also played a role: the models sell well with commercial fleets but not individual drivers, who tend to prefer slimmer sedans. One exception is the retiree market in Florida, which has a fondness for Town Cars. (The Crown Vic is now sold only to commercial customers.)
In other words, the lighter, greener hybrid has triumphed. “We need to move onto an improved, more sustainable product,” Rob Stevens, Ford’s chief engineer for commercial vehicles, said in an interview.
But some drivers and fleet owners maintain that the Town Car and Crown Vic are uniquely well suited to their task of comfortably ferrying all manner of city dwellers, from expense-account Wall Street bankers to criminals handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser.

“It is large, it is safe, it is easily repairable,” John Acierno, president of the Executive Transportation Group, said of the Town Car, which makes up more than 80 percent of his 1,800-car fleet.
“When you think of a black car or a limousine, your mind’s eye sort of goes to it,” Mr. Acierno said. “If there’s one sitting in front of a building, you think the car is waiting for someone.”

The cars also deliver a particularly smooth ride, die-hards say, thanks to a forgiving suspension and the sturdy steel frame that underlies both models. The Crown Vic’s plush leather back seat can resemble a sofa on wheels.

Replacements have begun to crop up in the city’s fleets, but some yellow taxi owners say they are unimpressed. Ronald Sherman, the president of the Metropolitan Taxicab Board of Trade, which represents 28 large fleet owners, said he had seen would-be taxi passengers ignore Chevrolet Malibu or Ford Escape cabs, opting for a longer wait in order to grab the more spacious Crown Vic.

“These minis are ridiculous; passengers do not get into them,” Mr. Sherman said, asserting that the smaller back seat and low headroom made the hybrids uncomfortable and potentially dangerous for riders"

Kevin Healy, another fleet owner, agreed. Of the Volkswagen Jetta, another alternative taxi, he said: “Literally, I can’t get in. And I would need a doctor to get out.”
Despite such objections, New York City’s government is intent on greening its car fleet. A mayoral mandate is in place to depose the big gas guzzlers of yore: commissioners now drive hybrids, and the Police Department has reduced its Crown Victoria count to 1,400 cars today from 1,800 cars in 2006.
The city also wants to establish fuel emissions standards for taxicabs. Those regulations have been held up in court, but owners have pre-emptively started to adjust. Crown Victorias still account for 60 percent of yellow cabs, but their dominance has been threatened by growing numbers of Ford Escapes (2,637 cabs) and Toyota Sienna minivans (1,381).
The Lincoln Town Car remains a common sight on Park Avenue and outside the city’s gilded corporate headquarters.

But there are signs that its clients’ tastes are changing, too. Only half of the cars idling outside Lincoln Center on a recent weeknight were Lincolns. Instead, well-to-do clients stepped into Cadillacs, Mercedes-Benzes and a BMW. A similar scene unfolded on a Wednesday morning at the Loews Regency Hotel, at Park Avenue and 62nd Street, where power breakfasters opted for Ford Expeditions, Lexuses and a Toyota Camry hybrid.

For most of the 35 years he has driven his private car in the city as a chauffeur, Ziggy Kingston used a Lincoln. But he recently made the switch to a Prius, saying that his clients, including the 30-minute meal maestro Rachael Ray and the actress Sarah Jessica Parker, often prefer the hybrid.

“It’s a good image for them,” he said, waiting for a pick-up outside the Barclays building in Midtown. Gesturing toward a nearby Town Car, Mr. Kingston continued, “This was the car you wanted when no one cared about pollution and the mayor didn’t care.” Now, he said, “you got to go with what the environment is good for.”

Fleet owners are unsure about what will replace the Town Car, although Lincoln has created several new models intended for livery use. But none have the same Yao Ming-size legroom or trunk space.
Eager to retain the taxi market, Ford is marketing a custom version of its Transit Connect van, whose oblong shape and tall roof resemble a London cab’s. The van gets 22 miles a gallon in the city and comes equipped with big picture windows for a scenic ride. More radical designs have been submitted to the city’s taxi commission, which has solicited ideas for a new taxicab built from scratch, rather than retrofitted from an existing car. The winner, which will not be announced for months, will have the exclusive right to build the city’s cabs for a decade.

Mr. Sherman, who owns a taxi fleet himself, said that his needs, like those of passengers, were simple: “What people are looking for in a taxicab,” he said, “is a safe ride from A to B.”

Old 07-01-10, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Fickle consumer tastes have also played a role: the models sell well with commercial fleets but not individual drivers, who tend to prefer slimmer sedans. One exception is the retiree market in Florida, which has a fondness for Town Cars. (The Crown Vic is now sold only to commercial customers.)
Older people all over the country like the Town Car, not just in FL. And don't forget the limo firms, either.....the TC has been their mainstay for years.

As far as the NYC cabs go, dropping the Crown Vic will probably have more consequences than just driver/passenger-comfort issues. The Crown Vic's full-ladder frame/suspension could take the constant pounding of NYC's potholes/pavement damage without a lot of repair/alignment issues. That will (likely) not be the case with their lighter, unibody replacements.

Cops also liked the Crown Vic (and the old RWD Chevy Caprice), even though they were not as fast as, say, the newer Hemi Charger cruisers, because the full-frame underpinnings could take the stress/impacts of high-speed pursuits/chases, and there was plenty of room inside for prisoners, dogs, gear, and police gear/equipment.

Is there a buisness or environmental case for dropping this line of vehicles? Maybe....I'm sure there are arguments on both sides. But, in doing so, a lot of people and institutions are going to be disappointed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-01-10, 09:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ridden in plenty of Crown Vic cabs, not worth the trouble.
Old 07-01-10, 10:53 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Vancouver we have mostly not Crown Vics / Town Cars for our cabs and I must say, I'll walk, or drive my own car even just across the core and figure out how to re-park it.

I want leg room and if I need to take things with me I want to just toss it in the trunk. When I'm away (obviously a higher likelyhood of cabbing then) I seek out not a van, not an SUV and not a hybrid if I have the choice of cabs.

However, I have been seeing a showing of Chrysler 300s as limos, I haven't been in one yet but it seems like a good concept.

No idea if they're spacious inside, but the shape seems right.
Old 07-01-10, 11:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Town Car, Crown Vic and Grand Marquis were a great combo and will be missed. I've lived in NYC for the better half of my life and here's my observation.

First of all, neither the Crown Vic or the Town Car sold to private owners. But most Grand Marquises were bought by private owners. They one thing about these Grand Marquises, is that they had a soft smooth ride, but also they are full size sedans with back seat that can easily fit large adults without discomforting the driver and the front passenger. There are simply no other cars with that much space at this price point. If you want a comparable size car, you have to get either S class or long wheelbase 7 series or LS, and they cost 3-4 times more than Grand Marquis.

Then you have the Crown Vic, which is a long favorite of taxi drivers, car service drivers and cops. Low initial cost, big, comfortable, durable, cheap to repair, easy to work on. With full frame and truck suspension, it is virtually undestructable. Despite its unsporting characteristics it handles extremely well (especially with police package), and the 4.6 V8 provides strong acceleration - it is easily faster than most sporty compacts and entry level premium sport sedans. Also, with full frame construction, and often equipped with pushbars, it helps cops during high speed chases - they can easily shash and push the chased car off the road. It is impossible with newer unibody sedans. The crown vic is becoming more and more rare within the police force. Most of them are now driving impalas, malibus, and hybrid altimas. In fact, the remaining Crown Vics are usually being driven by higher rank officers.

And the Town Car has been a long time favorite of limo services. Same qualities as the Crown Vic, but softer and smoother ride, and fancier interior. Plenty of companies that customize and stretch them. And when they become too worn out to be used by high end limo services, they are usually resold to car services, where they go on to serve for 300-400k miles. Lately it seems that many high end limo services have been switching to the current Mercedes S class. I'd say that 8 out of 10 S classes I see in Manhattan are sporting T&LC plates.

Old 07-01-10, 11:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, a honorable mention goes to a similar, now long defunct, trio - Caprice, Fleetwood, Roadmaster.

Old 07-01-10, 12:45 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

My limo company sent a ford fusion hybrid (extended version) to pick me up from the airport Tuesday.

The car had plenty of room and rode fine.

The interior is cheapo and the dash looks like a playskool kids toy.

The driver said the car has been rock solid in reliability.
Old 07-01-10, 01:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
My limo company sent a ford fusion hybrid (extended version) to pick me up from the airport Tuesday.

The car had plenty of room and rode fine.

The interior is cheapo and the dash looks like a playskool kids toy.

The driver said the car has been rock solid in reliability.
The Fusion, lately, has been one of the most reliable American-badged vehicles.....especially the FWD version.

I've driven several Fusion/Milan/MKZ models. While I agree the ride is OK, there's no way that it will compare with a Town Car's. of course, the handling is far better. And Fusions, like Lincoln's own MKS (which replaces the Town Car), have something the Town Car sorely needs and lacks......an AWD option.
Old 07-02-10, 12:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

why not change the entire fleet to Toyota Prius taxis. With that many taxis the fuel saving will be significant to sat the least
Old 07-02-10, 09:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
why not change the entire fleet to Toyota Prius taxis. With that many taxis the fuel saving will be significant to sat the least
That's happening a lot around here for the drivers that own the cars. They do the math on gas and maintenance savings on huge annual mileage.
Old 07-02-10, 10:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's happening a lot around here for the drivers that own the cars. They do the math on gas and maintenance savings on huge annual mileage.
what happens when the customer have alot of suitcases?

I see lots of minivans used as taxis---good for cargo capacity
Old 07-02-10, 10:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
what happens when the customer have alot of suitcases?

I see lots of minivans used as taxis---good for cargo capacity
In those isolated cases when something larger is needed, exactly that (a minivan is summoned).

At most airports and major hotels the lineup of cabs usually includes a few minivans and people will request them if they have lots of passengers/luggage.
Old 07-02-10, 10:55 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

We still have a few crown vics in SF, but they are now being replaced by Ford Fusions (hybrid), Ford Escapes (hybrid), Toyota Priuses and Toyota Camry hybrids.
Old 07-02-10, 03:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

A stripped version of toyota avalons would seem like a good choice to replace cabs, although pretty expensive. I mean there are pretty reliable and are huge if they are the exact same size they were back in 2006
Old 07-02-10, 04:33 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as the NYC cabs go, dropping the Crown Vic will probably have more consequences than just driver/passenger-comfort issues. The Crown Vic's full-ladder frame/suspension could take the constant pounding of NYC's potholes/pavement damage without a lot of repair/alignment issues. That will (likely) not be the case with their lighter, unibody replacements.

Exactly! The money they're trying to save on gas will definately be lost on repairs.