Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 3rd fuel pump in 20 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 04:28 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
You mean the video is all computer graphics?
I believe so, Jim was called in for the project.
Old 07-01-10, 05:01 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have a 09 335 sedan, which my younger son drives. It's still running strong. Anyways, i knew prior to purchasing what the risk were, but n54 engine was so enticing. It is what it is.

Maybe I'll check out the 5 series.
Old 07-01-10, 05:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to enjoy it, (while the warranty lasts at least).
Old 07-01-10, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Better 3 or 4 fuel pumps than 3 or 4 transmissions. Yes, I've known people with vehicles like that.
Old 07-01-10, 06:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Better 3 or 4 fuel pumps than 3 or 4 transmissions. Yes, I've known people with vehicles like that.
It always boggles my mind when manufacturers have a defective part that keeps breaking and breaking after being replaced time after time. The fuel pump issue in the BMW, and transmission in many V6 Hondas and Acuras.

Is it a problem of engineering incompetence where they simply cant identify and cure the issue that causes the failures, or simply unwillingness of manufacturers to spend money on proper solution?
Old 07-01-10, 07:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It always boggles my mind when manufacturers have a defective part that keeps breaking and breaking after being replaced time after time. The fuel pump issue in the BMW, and transmission in many V6 Hondas and Acuras.

Is it a problem of engineering incompetence where they simply cant identify and cure the issue that causes the failures, or simply unwillingness of manufacturers to spend money on proper solution?
if it's going to take a complete new redesign, then sometimes it's "easier" for them to just keep on fixing. new design might not even fit in the current setup.

or on the other hand, if fixing something will end up putting the hp numbers from 300 to 270, that can be a problem too
Old 07-01-10, 10:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I love the attitude of BMW owners...

<Them> "This is the best car in the world!"
<Them> "There's nothing that comes close to this car!"
<Them> "It's just an incredible thing to drive!"
<Them> "I can't imagine driving anything else!"

<Me> "Would you ever own one that was out-of-warranty?"

<Them> "Oh Hell no!!!"
sounds about right. I loooooove the way bimmers feel BUT ultimate driving machine is a BS statement. Its only the ultimate if it starts and doesn't leave you on the side of the road or in a service department waiting room . This is why the Japanese continue to earn my business. I am a busy guy and like my service reps but I don't want to see them every week for some issue. When the vehicle breaks down and it strands you that is 100% reason enough to sell the car and cut the brand off imho.

I think many BMW guys make excuses for their cars sometimes because #1 they love them so much #2 the reputation, and #3 it hurts making a 850-1000/month payment for a car that makes you look like you are driving an old American beater while you sit on the side of the road and wait for BMW road side assistance

BMW.....the ultimate ( while driving ) machine.

I dont know why they can make a car that feels so natural and responsive but they cant get a suuplier to design a pump that works or at least remedy the situation expeditiously . This crap has been going on for a few years now
Old 07-01-10, 11:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I love the attitude of BMW owners...

<Them> "This is the best car in the world!"
<Them> "There's nothing that comes close to this car!"
<Them> "It's just an incredible thing to drive!"
<Them> "I can't imagine driving anything else!"

<Me> "Would you ever own one that was out-of-warranty?"

<Them> "Oh Hell no!!!"
LOL, I too learned that lesson with an out of warranty 5 series I bought very long ago.
Old 07-01-10, 11:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the fuel pump isn't the problem. I had a Mustang mis-diagnosed with a faulty master cylinder by the dealer, and 13 new master cylinders failed to fix the problem. Every time it was "fixed" by the Ford dealer, the brake pedal would go to the floor by the time I got out of the driveway and to the light at the end of the block.

I started having the service manager drive it while I rode shotgun when I picked it up. It failed every time. Finally, I gave up on Ford, and a franchise brake shop found the problem in ten minutes - some monkey had honed the rear wheel cylinders and wobbled the shaft of the hone up and down when he did the left rear (drum) brake, producing an "hourglass" cylinder that poured out brake fluid on every application, causing the brakes to fail. They kept changing master cylinders because they couldn't get their heads around their first diagnosis (which was probably correct). Unfortunately they rebuilt the brakes all around at the same time, but never suspected any of their work, and never broke down the wheel cylinders to mike the bores.

I bought another car the next week - just to get away from the only Ford dealer in the county.
Old 07-01-10, 11:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Maybe the fuel pump isn't the problem. I had a Mustang mis-diagnosed with a faulty master cylinder by the dealer, and 13 new master cylinders failed to fix the problem. Every time it was "fixed" by the Ford dealer, the brake pedal would go to the floor by the time I got out of the driveway and to the light at the end of the block.

I started having the service manager drive it while I rode shotgun when I picked it up. It failed every time. Finally, I gave up on Ford, and a franchise brake shop found the problem in ten minutes - some monkey had honed the rear wheel cylinders and wobbled the shaft of the hone up and down when he did the left rear (drum) brake, producing an "hourglass" cylinder that poured out brake fluid on every application, causing the brakes to fail. They kept changing master cylinders because they couldn't get their heads around their first diagnosis (which was probably correct). Unfortunately they rebuilt the brakes all around at the same time, but never suspected any of their work, and never broke down the wheel cylinders to mike the bores.

I bought another car the next week - just to get away from the only Ford dealer in the county.

wow!! That sounds like a frustrating experience. If you cant trust the dealership to know what the hell to do then we are lost.
Old 07-02-10, 04:12 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

wow...that's a lot of headache that dealership gave you.
Old 07-02-10, 07:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a few long starts with a 335i I owned.
Warning signs which was the main reason I dumped the car.
From what I read on the BMW forums,once one pump goes,the odds are there will be multiple pumps going.
Old 07-02-10, 07:51 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.bmw335iproblems-californi...ychooseus.html

William McGee represented my wife and I on her SLK55. A settlement was made in less than 4 months. They are all too familiar w/ BMW's HPFP issues. Give them a chance to review your case, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-02-10, 08:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Try to enjoy it, (while the warranty lasts at least).
The funny thing is,well no so funny,is that BMW upped the warranty on the fuel pumps to 10/120.They don't have a fix for over 4 years years now.
Problem is when the fuel pumps go,the fuel injectors have a problem in a short time in many cases and the injectors aren't covered and it's a $3500 replacement cost.
Old 07-02-10, 08:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MI350_55
http://www.bmw335iproblems-californi...ychooseus.html

William McGee represented my wife and I on her SLK55. A settlement was made in less than 4 months. They are all too familiar w/ BMW's HPFP issues. Give them a chance to review your case, you won't be disappointed.
This is impossible!! According to our unreliable source THERE ARE NO ISSUES!! Its all in peoples heads!!

Quick Reply: My 3rd fuel pump in 20 months