Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 3rd fuel pump in 20 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The funny thing is,well no so funny,is that BMW upped the warranty on the fuel pumps to 10/120.They don't have a fix for over 4 years years now.
Problem is when the fuel pumps go,the fuel injectors have a problem in a short time in many cases and the injectors aren't covered and it's a $3500 replacement cost.
yeah indeed from what i see, if you get a problem, the likeliness of having the problems again is much higher.

i truly think it's a design flaw that they just can't get to fix. much like the tranny problem on acura while back
Old 07-02-10, 09:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah indeed from what i see, if you get a problem, the likeliness of having the problems again is much higher.

i truly think it's a design flaw that they just can't get to fix. much like the tranny problem on acura while back
I said the same thing on the BMW forums.
Something in the fuel line delivery design is screwing up the pumps,IMO.
If it was a simple as the pump,it would be fixed by now.
I believe BMW knows exactly what the probem is but it's too expensive to do the real fix.
Maybe that's the reason they're going back to a single turbo.
Old 07-02-10, 10:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It always boggles my mind when manufacturers have a defective part that keeps breaking and breaking after being replaced time after time.
or could it be possible that they keep replacing that defective part with the NEW but SAME batch of defective parts ?
Old 07-02-10, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
or could it be possible that they keep replacing that defective part with the NEW but SAME batch of defective parts ?
well i know my friend keeps on "hearing" the new parts are new design.

but personally, i am not surprised if the new ones are more or less the same thing. or maybe just minor fixes that are more like bandages than real fix. bottom line is if they can't fix it in 4 yrs, that tells me a real fix won't come for this specific design / generation.
Old 07-02-10, 10:16 AM
GS3Tek

bottom line is if they can't fix it in 4 yrs, that tells me a real fix won't come for this specific design / generation.
gotcha

luckily, these leases are only 3 years-nuttin' to worry about
Old 07-02-10, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

gotcha

lol, i have to say, that's why i love leasing bmw. price is good, no need to worry about maintenance, drive the crap out of it, and return after 3 yrs

on another note, a few say that cars with HPFP problems are likely to have the same problem again down the road. if that's the case, i actually tend to think there might be some other underlining problems that no one is noticing, maybe some deviation (tolerance) in other parts that actually cause this problem to happen more likely than others. but that's just my thoughts
Old 07-02-10, 10:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

gotcha

The warranty on the pump was upped to 10/120 on the so you would be covered but the breakdown and/or limp mode is the problem.
Old 07-02-10, 10:36 AM
GS3Tek

The warranty on the pump was upped to 10/120 on the so you would be covered but the breakdown and/or limp mode is the problem.
the price to pay to have a "soul"

ok, I better stop
Old 07-02-10, 10:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

the price to pay to have a "soul"

ok, I better stop
The quickness and handling of the 335i is great.
I was fine until I got a few long starts which is a sign of possible fuel pumps issues to come.
BMW won't do a thing until a code is tripped.
I also got tired of the rough ride quality and pothole explosion noise with the sport pkg.
Old 07-02-10, 12:16 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Clinton once said, "I feel your pain". The 335 sitting in my garage is on its second fuel pump and had to have the transmission replaced at 36K miles. That's in addition to the iDrive and blown out speaker problem that the dealer blamed on a combination of an unapproved phone and a burned CD.

It's fun to drive, but reliability has been crap.
Old 07-02-10, 01:38 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not always...the pump can fail but many times, you can shut down, re-start, and all is back to normal like nothing ever happened. My pump failed on my 09with 8300 miles two weeks ago. Re-started and drove like normal. Made appointment with dealer the next day and got the new software and 933 pump. So in effect, taking the car in for repair was no less bothersome than having to take wife's RX in for a head light replacement. No car is 100% trouble free. However, I will admit that I will never own my 335 past warranty.
Old 07-02-10, 04:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
Not always...the pump can fail but many times, you can shut down, re-start, and all is back to normal like nothing ever happened. My pump failed on my 09with 8300 miles two weeks ago. Re-started and drove like normal. Made appointment with dealer the next day and got the new software and 933 pump. So in effect, taking the car in for repair was no less bothersome than having to take wife's RX in for a head light replacement. No car is 100% trouble free. However, I will admit that I will never own my 335 past warranty.
rheiy,that's the first I've read of that happening.Worked out for you.
Usually limp mode is the most common.Very few die on the side of the road.
I agree with the never own a BMW after warranty.
Old 07-02-10, 05:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any idea if its possible to fit a high performance aftermarket pump in there? It is a popular mod for many high power turbo cars, I believe even Supras require it if you're going to put down serious power.
Old 07-02-10, 05:17 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work 10 hours day, I have meetings to drive to, i have video conference with people all over the world, i fly to asia or europe twice months. I dont want to arrive home from a business trip to find my field injectors broken. I'm a very busy man and I need a car that wont crap out on me. That's why my wife and i own is350 and isf respectively. I have always owned a lexus of some sort since 1990 and dependability has been a big factor of it.

Lexus isnt perfect, there has been issues with out our Lexus's, but they have always addressed it and the problem never came back. How can I go through 3 fuel pumps and yet receive the same bs explanation and an extended warranty on a part? I'm a business owner and I know first hand that product liability is a serious serious thing, just ask Toyota.

OFF TOPIC: Regarding product liability. Do you ever wonder why they no longer make door handles that have a push button? My brother, who is a corporate lawyer, told me the story. One night, a drunk block was driving a car with the push button door handle. He runs a red light, spins out, and hits a light pole. The door breaks open and not wearing a seat belt, he flies out of the door, smashes his skull on the pavement and dies.

His family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against that car manufacturer, stating that the door locking mechanism failed and was the caused of the guy's death. The family won the case and received millions of dollars, even though the driver was drunk, ran a red light, and wasn't wearing a seat belt. This is just an example of our crazy and important product liability is.

Another example was the Firestone fiasco in the late 1990s. Ford explorers were flipping at an alarming rate, so people started to question the tires. So they looked into and found out that Firestone tire's tread were splitting. Even worse, Firestone had known about tread problems dating back to 1994. That's is poor liability management as well has poor business ethics. Then they found that the design of the Ford Explorer was flawed and some tire pressure issue etc... Either way, Firestone's stock tank and they lost about 750 millions in one quarter.

Moral of story: Don't mess around with product liability, when something remotely happens, a fast response is what you want. Toyota and Firestone messed up.

Picture of said door handle:
Old 07-02-10, 11:39 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Hmm - I was thinking about buying my wife a used 335i hardtop convertible because of how cheap there are....strike that notion now. i guess i know why bimmers depreciate so much and why people usually lease.

Quick Reply: My 3rd fuel pump in 20 months