Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 3rd fuel pump in 20 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 03:52 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why they are so cheap used. the day i bought my 350, i almost bought a 335i, just because of tunability but i drive a ton and it had 25k on the odo. i didnt wanna have to get rid of it within a year or 2 because its warrenties up. my IS had more miles. but i havent had one problem with my car. and out of warrenty and i love it. ill probably get rid of it but only because i love to change things because i want to, not cause i have to.
Old 07-03-10, 10:44 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
sounds about right. I loooooove the way bimmers feel BUT ultimate driving machine is a BS statement. Its only the ultimate if it starts and doesn't leave you on the side of the road or in a service department waiting room . This is why the Japanese continue to earn my business. I am a busy guy and like my service reps but I don't want to see them every week for some issue. When the vehicle breaks down and it strands you that is 100% reason enough to sell the car and cut the brand off imho.

I think many BMW guys make excuses for their cars sometimes because #1 they love them so much #2 the reputation, and #3 it hurts making a 850-1000/month payment for a car that makes you look like you are driving an old American beater while you sit on the side of the road and wait for BMW road side assistance
Lot of hate spewing here. To be honest, I know quite a few of the BMW community. The fuel pump is a hit or miss issue. My sister never had the problem, has about 60k miles, I had a long crank and had it immediately replaced. I never had a problem after that. I never had a limp mode in 30k miles. I know plenty of owners who have had problems and plenty who have not. I have never heard of anyone being stranded anywhere.

While BMWs have minor problems here and there, people rarely get stranded.

My father's 2007 GS has had multiple problems, most recently, his car wouldn't start. Lexus is still working on the issue, but it's not a bad battery. He has 50,000 miles. Our IS250 has had some issues too, but they are mostly minor.

BMW service advisors have always been better to us as well. I never had a problem with BMW Service Advisors.
Crevier BMW
Sterling BMW

Lexus on the other hand just deny the issues or straight up lie about it.

Westminster Lexus
Tustin Lexus
Mission Viejo Lexus

Last edited by OC 335d; 07-03-10 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-03-10, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know, but with 120k extended warranty, I'm not too concerned about the pump.

I'm much more worried about other things, like I've posted before.
Old 07-03-10, 03:25 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Lot of hate spewing here. To be honest, I know quite a few of the BMW community. The fuel pump is a hit or miss issue. My sister never had the problem, has about 60k miles, I had a long crank and had it immediately replaced. I never had a problem after that. I never had a limp mode in 30k miles. I know plenty of owners who have had problems and plenty who have not. I have never heard of anyone being stranded anywhere.

My father's 2007 GS has had multiple problems, most recently, his car wouldn't start. Lexus is still working on the issue, but it's not a bad battery. He has 50,000 miles. Our IS250 has had some issues too, but they are mostly minor.

BMW service advisors have always been better to us as well. I never had a problem with BMW Service Advisors.
Crevier BMW
Sterling BMW

Westminster Lexus
Tustin Lexus
Mission Viejo Lexus
You can justify it however you want, but the stats don't lie. BMW has many more reliability issues than Lexus.

I've been around BMW's for the past 15 years (and have owned 2 in the past year) and not one of them has been what you could consider reliable compared to our '05 RX and '08 IS F.

They do understand driving dynamics but, for whatever reason, there is a trade off in reliability.
Old 07-03-10, 03:40 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You can justify it however you want, but the stats don't lie. BMW has many more reliability issues than Lexus.

I've been around BMW's for the past 15 years (and have owned 2 in the past year) and not one of them has been what you could consider reliable compared to our '05 RX and '08 IS F.

They do understand driving dynamics but, for whatever reason, there is a trade off in reliability.
What exactly am I justifying?

Did your BMWs in the past 15 years ever leave you stranded?
Old 07-03-10, 04:49 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I haven't had any problems with my HPFP and I'm at 45XXX miles. I do on the other know some friends who have 335i's that had problems but they were never left stranded. It was goes into limp mode. I honestly love my car and I don't think I'll be trading it up after the warranty is over. Buying a whole new car will definitely cost more than maintenance on a BMW.
Old 07-03-10, 07:13 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

What exactly am I justifying?

Did your BMWs in the past 15 years ever leave you stranded?
You state in your previous post that your BMW has been more reliable than your Lexus. While that may be true for your personal experiences, it is not a factual depiction of reality.

I would agree with you that BMW's rarely leave you stranded. We also have never been stranded. However, they have all spent more time in the shop than they should have.

The reason you have a better relationship with your BMW SA's is that you see them all the time and they have to be extra nice to diffuse the frustration.
Old 07-03-10, 07:40 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like BMW is using the same fuel pump supplier as GM, Mopar and Ford - Walbro or Carter...
Old 07-03-10, 08:59 PM
LexFather

Crevier BMW
Sterling BMW

Westminster Lexus
Tustin Lexus
Mission Viejo Lexus
I am getting tired of people that throw the "hate" word out there and don't even begin to evaluate a thread. This thread isn't about Lexus, the OP is talking about his fuel pump issue. No one has stated Lexus is invincible

One person threw that out there. This thread was started by a BMW owner and many other BMW owners have chimed in.

A lot of us have made fun of the unreliable source who insists there are no issues.

Please read the thread thoroughly before you come to that conclusion and please differentiate between a forum vs what one person says.

Old 07-04-10, 06:59 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You state in your previous post that your BMW has been more reliable than your Lexus. While that may be true for your personal experiences, it is not a factual depiction of reality.

I would agree with you that BMW's rarely leave you stranded. We also have never been stranded. However, they have all spent more time in the shop than they should have.

The reason you have a better relationship with your BMW SA's is that you see them all the time and they have to be extra nice to diffuse the frustration.
Well, I stated my personal experiences. I did not say it applied to everyone. It is a factual depiction of reality, my reality. My whole point was, issues happen with every car manufacturer. The ones with problems bark the most. I know quite a few BMW owners as I am pretty active on a very large Car Forum and I happen to be from Southern California (where there is a large concentration of members).

BMW SAs and CAs are pretty darn good in my experience. Lexus not so much so. Shouldn't matter how often I see them, the Lexus guys should treat each customer the same, right? :P

I'd rather have a car with a few problems here and there with good service than a car with a few problems here and there with dealers completely lying to me and refusing to address the problem. It is a small sample (3 dealerships) but it is my personal experience.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am getting tired of people that throw the "hate" word out there and don't even begin to evaluate a thread. This thread isn't about Lexus, the OP is talking about his fuel pump issue. No one has stated Lexus is invincible

A lot of us have made fun of the unreliable source who insists there are no issues.

Please read the thread thoroughly before you come to that conclusion and please differentiate between a forum vs what one person says.
Mike,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I quoted one person and said a lot of hate spewing here. I meant the one poster I quoted was spewing a lot of hate. Had it been more than one poster, I would've quoted the rest. I'm pretty good at the multi-quote feature. Please don't assume I'm directing it at everyone before you come to that conclusion. I understand I wasn't exactly clear, but vague doesn't mean I'm directing it at an entire thread.
Old 07-04-10, 09:07 AM
LexFather

Gotcha. Please ignore I8Abmr

Old 07-04-10, 09:24 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

^

Anyways, I'll move back to the topic. Why hasn't OP lemoned?
Old 07-04-10, 01:35 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

Doesn't it have to happen within a certain time frame to become lemoned? I'm assuming the fuel pump failures don't occur one after the other over the course of a few miles so the time in between may have made the car un-lemonable
Old 07-04-10, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Doesn't it have to happen within a certain time frame to become lemoned? I'm assuming the fuel pump failures don't occur one after the other over the course of a few miles so the time in between may have made the car un-lemonable
lol i would say in most cases it has more to do with your lawyer
Old 07-05-10, 02:38 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol i would say in most cases it has more to do with your lawyer
my lawyer has been notified...he also drives an x5

Quick Reply: My 3rd fuel pump in 20 months