Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 3rd fuel pump in 20 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 04:12 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OC 335i
What exactly am I justifying?

Did your BMWs in the past 15 years ever leave you stranded?
Car doesn't leave driver stranded, therefore, car is reliable?
Doesn't make much sense.

BMW's are like boats. It's a bitter sweet relationship.
Old 07-05-10, 12:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet

Good one.

And the best day of boat ownership is the day you close the deal to sell it.
Old 07-05-10, 11:44 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BMW, The Ultimate Mechanics Dream
Old 07-06-10, 12:23 AM
rg_gibson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good one.

And the best day of boat ownership is the day you close the deal to sell it.
I wouldnt quite consider a BMW a boat......I actually love my car. The 3 series isnt a perfect car which no car isnt.....Lexus has their problems too apparently with these engine valve spring problems.....but regardless.....the 3 series does what it was meant to do right....it handles very well. In honesty, I dont believe that my Bimmer will just die one random day and leave me stuck out alone. BMWs arent that crappy and if they were that crappy it wouldnt make sense that the 3 series outsells its competition faithfully every month.
Old 07-06-10, 09:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
I wouldnt quite consider a BMW a boat......I actually love my car. The 3 series isnt a perfect car which no car isnt.....Lexus has their problems too apparently with these engine valve spring problems.....but regardless.....the 3 series does what it was meant to do right....it handles very well. In honesty, I dont believe that my Bimmer will just die one random day and leave me stuck out alone. BMWs arent that crappy and if they were that crappy it wouldnt make sense that the 3 series outsells its competition faithfully every month.
I don't consider a BMW a boat, especially since it's a car. I was just laughing about the boat joke and threw in one myself.

btw, the Lexus valve spring problem is far more rare than the fuel pump problem and most likely will be taken care of via a recall.

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-06-10 at 09:42 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-06-10, 10:33 AM
LexFather

Current thread in the IS F forum. We have a lot of 335 owners here and most are wary of issues.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post5618920

Many of these 335s are modded too

Old 07-06-10, 10:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Current thread in the IS F forum. We have a lot of 335 owners here and most are wary of issues.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post5618920

Many of these 335s are modded too
This was mine...

]
Old 07-06-10, 12:41 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Car doesn't leave driver stranded, therefore, car is reliable?
Doesn't make much sense.

No, I was directly replying to someone saying:

"When the vehicle breaks down and it strands you that is 100% reason enough to sell the car and cut the brand off imho."

You either missed it or are being intentionally obtuse. Stop putting words in my mouth.
Old 07-06-10, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
Avoid the 3 series untill theres a definite fix. stick with uncle ben's for reliability.
you mean 335. i don't think 328 and m3 have those problems.
Old 07-06-10, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you mean 335. i don't think 328 and m3 have those problems.
I hope the M3's quality-control has improved in the last two years. When I reviewed one in the spring of 2008 (63K, brand-new), I distinctly remember two significant problems on my test car. First, the entire rear-seat arm-rest assembly and all of its hardware, in the center of the back seat, when I went to pull it out, dropped down on the floor...it had simply been stuffed into the seat hole like a piece of cotton, and never properly attached. Second, it took a good half-hour to get the power driver's seat set where I wanted it, because the crappy, defective electronics in the seat-motors kept cutting in and out. The service people came out and took a quick look at it, but they couldn't get it to work right either. Finally, by fiddling with the seat-switches back and forth, in and out, for some 25-30 minutes, I slowly coaxed the seat and cushions into an acceptable driving positon.
Old 07-06-10, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope the M3's quality-control has improved in the last two years. When I reviewed one in the spring of 2008 (63K, brand-new), I distinctly remember two significant problems on my test car. First, the entire rear-seat arm-rest assembly and all of its hardware, in the center of the back seat, when I went to pull it out, dropped down on the floor...it had simply been stuffed into the seat hole like a piece of cotton, and never properly attached. Second, it took a good half-hour to get the power driver's seat set where I wanted it, because the crappy, defective electronics in the seat-motors kept cutting in and out. The service people came out and took a quick look at it, but they couldn't get it to work right either. Finally, by fiddling with the seat-switches back and forth, in and out, for some 25-30 minutes, I slowly coaxed the seat and cushions into an acceptable driving positon.
very interesting. for sure i don't have any of those problems on my car. i won't say i frequent bmw boards close to be as frequent as i do here, but i don't recall reading anything about that either.
Old 07-07-10, 09:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

very interesting. for sure i don't have any of those problems on my car. i won't say i frequent bmw boards close to be as frequent as i do here, but i don't recall reading anything about that either.
Most likely the car had been damaged/abused/vandilized/beat and did not resemble the typical car being delivered to paying customers.
Old 07-09-10, 02:53 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Never have read any of those either. Frequent quite a bit.

Forgot to add 335D to the non-HPFP list.