Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Palestinian speed sisters racing cars against men in the West Bank

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 04:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Palestinian speed sisters racing cars against men in the West Bank

In the Middle East, eight women have banded together to race cars against men in a notoriously male-dominated society. They call themselves the Speed Sisters. They are pretty amazing.

The women you see here compete in an autocross series known as Speed Test. It began in Palestine's West Bank region in 2005, shortly after violence between Israel and the Palestineans began to taper off. Racing occurs in the territory that is governed by Israel; it takes place in parking lots and closed-off paved areas, and it resembles autocrossing in any other part of the world — cones are set up and drivers are allowed timed runs. With the exception of the landscape and the Arabic music blaring over loudspeakers, the competition could be mistaken for any one of countless club events in America or Europe.

Being very familiar with middle eastern culture I am surprised we havent seen stories like this come out of Egypt. It tends to be the most westernized of the Arabic countries
There is one major difference: Here, it is not normal for women to compete.

The Middle East is and has long been a male-dominated region, but things are slowly changing. A woman was recently elected governor of the West Bank district of Ramallah. Four ministers in the Palestinian Cabinet are female, and the mayor of the West Bank's main city is a woman.

"The men found it strange, but they said 'let them come.' After a while we proved ourselves, and they were OK. We started asking them for tips like when to use the handbrake... I love driving. I love cars. It's in my blood — it's stronger than me. " — Suna Aweidah

The women you see here are part of an exploratory program paid for by the British Consulate in East Jerusalem. They share an old BMW 3-series, donated by the Palestinean Union for Race Car Drivers, and a handful of coaches. The youngest of the women is 18; the oldest is 39. The Consulate has invested the equivalent of almost $10,000 in their program, paying for helmets, car maintenance, and driver training. (The Union waived the $70 entry fee.) As far as we know, they are the only women currently competing in sanctioned motorsport in this region of the world.

"When I'm racing, I feel freedom. I love speed. When I'm on the track I can break the rules." —Suna Aweidah
Although at least one of the women has driven in competition before — Suna Awedia (top, center), the team's 39-year-old coach, has seat time in race karts — they aren't necessarily aiming for the podium. In the three rounds that have taken place this year, only one of the Sisters has reached the top ten. Two rounds are left. Awedia says her drivers need more training, more practice, and better cars — the men have largely been accepting and open to their presence, but they also have more refined (and often faster) equipment. The quotes and the videos below tell their story, along with their reason for competing, far better than we ever could.

"I love sports that are tough and dangerous, because I am a dangerous woman." —Nour Dawood

http://jalopnik.com/5580400/palestin...yline=true&s=i

GO HABIBI GO!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Palestinian speed sisters racing cars against men in the West Bank-500x_the-palestinian-speed-sis-006_01.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-08-10 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 04:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Very cool story
Old 07-08-10, 11:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I say more power to them.
Old 07-08-10, 11:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go girl, go.
Old 07-08-10, 01:07 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Good for them
Old 07-08-10, 01:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I dont think many people understand how difficult it is for females to do stuff like this in that part of the world. We generally never see women compete in anything.
Old 07-08-10, 02:30 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very uplifting story but Middle East still very tough as saw story about this lady will be stone to death for adultery although no solid evidence or 100% sure .
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-death-stoning
Old 07-08-10, 02:43 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by votru
Very uplifting story but Middle East still very tough as saw story about this lady will be stone to death for adultery although no solid evidence or 100% sure .
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-death-stoning
You know they never caught that anthrax guy either. Wah WahhhhhhhH!

Don't wreck a feel good post with a mood killer like that, start a new post for it.
Attached Thumbnails Palestinian speed sisters racing cars against men in the West Bank-debbiedownerrachaeldratch.jpg  
Old 07-08-10, 02:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I heard about that story a few days ago. Its some pretty crazy stuff. They do take sex and adultery a bit more seriously than they do here in the states. The key , as Americans, is to try to be less ethnocentric. We cant apply our social standards or norms to every society .We all think it should be done our way around the world. The media will jump on this all day long to make the people in the middle east seem backwards when in the end we have rampant adultery and divorce here. Its a sad situation but its life
Old 07-08-10, 02:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

let's get back on topic, thanks
Old 07-08-10, 02:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am surprised we are not hearing stories like this coming out of Egypt. They tend to be the most liberal of the Arabic countries.