Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

can someone point me in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 09:35 PM
TweeT91109
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can someone point me in the right direction?

Ok, so I have a Mk3 Supra, trying to swap in a VVT-i 2JZGE into it, and I have a bunch of questions about swapping the auto for a 5 speed....I know many poeple have done this, but is there a section that is appointed for these topics?
Old 07-08-10, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

another good model forum to ask about this would be the sc300/400 forum i guess

good luck!
Old 07-08-10, 08:41 AM
LexFather

Superforums is your best bet

Old 07-08-10, 10:17 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ +1 ... I think what you're trying to do is fairly common (?) just not so much around here.
Old 07-08-10, 10:38 PM
TweeT91109
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Superforums is your best bet
Lol, this is funny cause they told me to come to you guys....reason being is...its a IS300 VVT-i engine....and its auto harness, I would imagine someone on here has swapped the tranny to a 5 speed, and done something with the E.C.U.. I was told the E.C.U. will go into something called "limp mode" if it realizes there is no auto tranny hooked to it. I was suggested swapping the E.C.U....for a 5 speed E.C.U. on out of a "Aristo" I believe its called....but they warned that it my not work for the NA harness....cause the "Aristo" was a turbo car, again another wall to get over. So I will continue looking as my motor gathers dust
Old 07-08-10, 10:59 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TweeT91109
Lol, this is funny cause they told me to come to you guys....reason being is...its a IS300 VVT-i engine....and its auto harness, I would imagine someone on here has swapped the tranny to a 5 speed, and done something with the E.C.U.. I was told the E.C.U. will go into something called "limp mode" if it realizes there is no auto tranny hooked to it. I was suggested swapping the E.C.U....for a 5 speed E.C.U. on out of a "Aristo" I believe its called....but they warned that it my not work for the NA harness....cause the "Aristo" was a turbo car, again another wall to get over. So I will continue looking as my motor gathers dust
I believe you can keep the auto ECU that is with the engine and just bypass the neutral-safety switch.

The reason the car goes into limp-mode is because the ECU no longer recognizes the transmission. Bypassing the neutral-safety switch should take care of this problem and you should be able to keep the ECU without spending the extra money to get a new ECU, have it reflashed and have your keys reprogrammed.
Old 07-09-10, 10:34 AM
TweeT91109
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by tofu_house
I believe you can keep the auto ECU that is with the engine and just bypass the neutral-safety switch.

The reason the car goes into limp-mode is because the ECU no longer recognizes the transmission. Bypassing the neutral-safety switch should take care of this problem and you should be able to keep the ECU without spending the extra money to get a new ECU, have it reflashed and have your keys reprogrammed.
Umm what do u mean by keys reprogrammed? The motor is going into a MK3 supra....so i'm using my ignition. And just having the ecu re-flashed sounds like a plan
Old 07-09-10, 11:18 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Haha never mind about the keys

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure about this either but I wonder how the ECU and everything will interact considering the 2jz-ge vvt-i out of the IS300 is drive-by-wire? (I think? )

I'm assuming that you would not want to have electronic throttle control with the 5sp (I don't even know if that would work).

The wiring may be more complicated than I originally thought considering all the components that are electronically controlled. Bypassing the neutral-safety switch and have the basic wiring done; you could probably get the engine to work but I fear that the ECU will start throwing codes for everything else - the ECUs throw codes for the tiniest thing that's off and I'm not sure if that will trigger limp-mode or not (again, the drive-by-wire issue).

Hopefully some other people can chime in on this that are more familiar with swaps.

BTW, I just googled "IS300 2jz-ge swap", "2jz-ge ECU", and other key words specific to your swap and found some other forums (supramania, toyota/cressida) with others that have started similar swaps. You could check those out too.
Old 07-09-10, 07:59 PM
TweeT91109
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by tofu_house
Haha never mind about the keys

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure about this either but I wonder how the ECU and everything will interact considering the 2jz-ge vvt-i out of the IS300 is drive-by-wire? (I think? )

I'm assuming that you would not want to have electronic throttle control with the 5sp (I don't even know if that would work).

The wiring may be more complicated than I originally thought considering all the components that are electronically controlled. Bypassing the neutral-safety switch and have the basic wiring done; you could probably get the engine to work but I fear that the ECU will start throwing codes for everything else - the ECUs throw codes for the tiniest thing that's off and I'm not sure if that will trigger limp-mode or not (again, the drive-by-wire issue).

Hopefully some other people can chime in on this that are more familiar with swaps.

BTW, I just googled "IS300 2jz-ge swap", "2jz-ge ECU", and other key words specific to your swap and found some other forums (supramania, toyota/cressida) with others that have started similar swaps. You could check those out too.
sweet bro thanks for the heads up..... ill check those out
Old 07-10-10, 09:19 AM
TweeT91109
Driver School Candidate

ok guys, so at work, I started talking about my little situation I have here.... and my friend with a corolla (a hole lot less techinally advanced) but he swapped his auto tranny to a 5 speed....but had to wire in a 2 leg switch, to by pass the neutral start switch. So i think I may have something here.....
Old 07-13-10, 10:49 PM
TweeT91109
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Ok so I have been told by many to just buy a 2JZ NA 5 speed ECU and harness....so im hoping for the best.