Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CRX vs. CRZzzzzzz - insideline Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 10:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The CRZ is a modern CRX. The opinion of this writer doesnt mean much to me. We cant have the old CRX back....ever. Times, safety regulations, and people have changed.
It is not a modern CRX. It just prostitutes on CRX name, and tries to look somewhat like this iconic car.

The CRX was lightweight, sporty, rev happy and handled excellently (although with short wheelbase its rear end was a little too happy).

This new car is a lazy, heavy pig, with 1970ies style dummy beam rear suspension. Its pathetic.
Old 07-08-10, 10:10 PM
LexFather

crzzzzzzz???? How about the HSZZZZZZZZZ???? Seems like you cant make a sporty hybrid and get it to take off
Its not that hard to stick on topic. This is about the CRX and CRZzzzzzzz. We have a HS forum and current HS thread.

Originally Posted by Och
HS was never supposed to be sporty. Nor does it prostitute an iconic name.

If Toyota made an abortion like the CRZ and called it Corolla, Supra, MR-2 that would be a different story.
Bingo. Not to mention the CRzzzzzz is not a lick faster than the HS

Originally Posted by whoster
Forgot about the RX400h?

and the stupid fast GS450h?

and the ridiculous LS600hL?

the HS250 wasn't meant to be sporty nor is it Lexus' first attempt at a Luxury Hybrid.

the RX Hybrid is already in its second iteration.
Bingo. Why is anyone even bringing up Lexus hybrids? For goodness sakes this is an IMA system, not even a real hybrid.

Originally Posted by Och
It is not a modern CRX. It just prostitutes on CRX name, and tries to look somewhat like this iconic car.

The CRX was lightweight, sporty, rev happy and handled excellently (although with short wheelbase its rear end was a little too happy).

This new car is a lazy, heavy pig, with 1970ies style dummy beam rear suspension. Its pathetic.
Exactly. The CRX was amazing. This is another IMA ugly half *** attempt at something we didn't ask for. We asked for the next Type R cars, S2000 and NSX.

Not a 2 door INsight in drag with a name Acura should use.

Old 07-08-10, 11:37 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still loving my CRX. Got 350k on it! Great little fun car.
Old 07-09-10, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The CRZ is a modern CRX. The opinion of this writer doesnt mean much to me. We cant have the old CRX back....ever. Times, safety regulations, and people have changed.
I8ABMR has a good point here....and I think some of you are being a little too harsh on him. I'd like to see a number of vehicles from the 1980's return myself (including the CRX), but the fact is, like it or not, we live in a world of regulations and politics today that makes that all but impossible. Detroit has managed to bring back some classic high-powered ponycars in more-or-less 1960's form, but even they are larger and heavier than the originals (especially the Challenger)....and their days are (likely) once-again-numbered as well.

And, even with 1980's vintage cars, I'd NEVER want to go back to carburators....ever again. They were a PITA.
Old 07-09-10, 10:18 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

I absolutely loved my 2nd gen Si. As inevitable as it may be, a comparison to the CRZ just isn't gonna be fair.

Could a true, modern incarnation of the CRX be possible? Maybe, with the right design team, and corporate cooperation from the higher ups at Honda, but I doubt it would ever happen. Especially not in a hybrid, with current technology, and todays auto standards.

Mazda did OK with the 3rd gen Miata, but it's still missing that bare bones, purpose built feel of the previous cars. When Lotus first came out with the Elise, it did a great job of capturing the feel of the old Elan's and Europa's, but like those cars, it's not something you really want to live with on a day to day basis.

The CRZ, unfortunately, is a product of corporate responsibility, a need to serve EPA regulations, and safety implemented weight gain. No matter how good the car may be, it will never have the spirit that the CRX did. Automakers can't easily get away with building a go-kart for the street these days.

Of course, without the full-cage, I'm not sure I'd want to get into a major accident in my old 88 Si, either.... :lol:
Old 07-09-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed the CRX and Integra flashbacks, good stuff. But agreed, those cars don't cut it by today's standards.
Old 07-09-10, 04:57 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I have going to say this again in this thread.

Dear honda executives (aka bean counters), please go f yourself for screwing the great company and giving as worthless cars.
Old 07-09-10, 09:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

what other hybrid comes with a 6 speed manual transmission( just saw the segment on motor week)??????? None that I can think of. I watched the segment about this car on motor week and they seem to love the car. Like I said before, this is all subjective. One person may think its a bit boring while other will celebrate the vehicle as a fresh new start in this fresh new segment. I think this little car would be awesome as a commuting vehicle. I have seen tuned versions in Modified magazine that seem do do pretty well on the track......for a hybrid.
Old 07-09-10, 09:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

what other hybrid comes with a 6 speed manual transmission( just saw the segment on motor week)??????? None that I can think of. I watched the segment about this car on motor week and they seem to love the car. Like I said before, this is all subjective. One person may think its a bit boring while other will celebrate the vehicle as a fresh new start in this fresh new segment. I think this little car would be awesome as a commuting vehicle. I have seen tuned versions in Modified magazine that seem do do pretty well on the track......for a hybrid.
Why would you even want a 6 speed manual on the weak sauce hybrid motor? and track?! please.
Old 07-09-10, 10:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
Why would you even want a 6 speed manual on the weak sauce hybrid motor? and track?! please.
for the same reason millions of people around the world drive manuals for. To make it more fun and bearable to have a car with that little power. There is no way I would be able to deal with a car with 122 hp and an automatic transmission. In terms of track driving its well known that driving an under powered car on a track can be just as much fun as some hp monsters. I say lets embrace the future of entry level hybrid sport. The CRZ is a pretty decent start imho
Old 07-10-10, 07:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I have going to say this again in this thread.

Dear honda executives (aka bean counters), please go f yourself for screwing the great company and giving as worthless cars.
It ain't the bean counters you should be writing to. There's only on man responsible for Honda's disappointing lineup. His name is Takanobu Ito, C-E-O
Old 07-10-10, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Dear honda executives (aka bean counters), please go f yourself
Well, IF today's Honda products are really that bad (and I have mixed opinions on that, pro and con), then the execs have already done just that.

The CR-Z still looks like an interesting product to me. I'm probably going to check it out.
Old 07-10-10, 10:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, IF today's Honda products are really that bad (and I have mixed opinions on that, pro and con), then the execs have already done just that.

The CR-Z still looks like an interesting product to me. I'm probably going to check it out.
please do. We need some objective info on the car. Plus your reviews are awesome
Old 07-10-10, 12:28 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

YES!!! We need a full review of this car! Give it some time and I'm sure someone's gonna buy a CRZ and do an engine swap into it.
Old 07-10-10, 01:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I watched a full segment on motor week last night and they loved the car. They went on and on about its great handling, style, and economy. They did mention that the fuel economy wasnt as good as the rest of the hybrids but said there is always compromise when buying a car. I am not saying its a Pruis with Ferrari handling, but its awesome to have some options. Especially when they are relatively sporty