Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Cadillac CTS SportWagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 08:07 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I would have thought that this wagon would come with a 6MT. Thought I wonder how many CTS are sold with that tranny anyway.
Old 07-11-10, 09:51 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm glad this wagon was well done. IMO a well done wagon is just an absolute thing of beauty.

As for the spare tire ... my car doesn't even come with one (it's a weight thing) so I can see why it's an option, but I think it should probably be a no-cost-option.

Now if we could just get Cadillacs into their own dedicated dealerships we might just be in business
Old 07-11-10, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

nice car but i'd only consider one if they give me some of the FIFTY BILLION stolen from the American people to keep them in business.
Old 07-11-10, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
EXCELLENT as always Mike!!!
Thanks, Russ.

You got that right ... I want to check out that CTS-V coupe, but again they can't even get the sedan around here so...........

Didn't you look at at an older CTS-V some time ago? I know you checked out several high-performance cars at one time...a Corvette Z06, Shelby Mustang, and Audi S5, among some others, if my memory is right....and some of the deals didn't go through.
Old 07-11-10, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
Great write up!!!
Thanks.

I really like the look of the CTS wagon over the sedan.
Yes, it's a unique wagon. There are few others like it, especially in this world of jelly-bean, hmpback-whale styling.

A spare tire is an option though? Are they serious???
Yes, the car comes with a standard compressed-gas bottle (Fix-a-Flat). It's contains a spray-in mixture of gases and sealant that is supposed to plug up the tire puncture from the inside so you can limp along at low speed to the nearest tire shop for a more complete repair/repacement. The sealant, though, doesn't always work properly, can throw the tire/wheel assembly off-balance, and I wouldn't want to leave the bottgle in a place where it can get hot....like a car trunk. The gases inside the bottle are under a lot of pressure.

It's actually printed on the factory sticker that way, though I didn't have a digital camera to photograph it:

TEMPORARY SPARE TIRE (REPLACES STANDARD COMPRESSED-AIR BOTTLE): $250

The CTS is not the only upmarket car like that. A couple of years ago, I reviewed a far more expensive car (a $94,000 Mercedes E63 AMG), wth the same set-up.....a standard Fix-a-Flat bottle, and no spare at all, temporary or otherwise.

Of course, many people today don't even mess with the bottles.....they simply call AAA or the manufacturer Roadside Assistance Program (which is often simply contracted-AAA) for a tow if they get a flat.

What's next? Will we need to make a choice betweeen the standard wheel chocks, or the available parking brake?
What's next? My guess is it could (?) be standard run-flat tires on all vehicles, or simply advanced-technology wheels/tires (like the well-known TWEEL, developed by Michelin, that the military is experimenting with) that don't hold any air at all.
Old 07-11-10, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Damn, I would have thought that this wagon would come with a 6MT. Thought I wonder how many CTS are sold with that tranny anyway.
Most vehicles today, with the exception of some ponycars and pure sports-cars like the Miata, have only a 4-5% buyer rate for traditional 3-pedal-manuals. Manufacturers are increasingly finding that it is just not cost-effective. You know that, of course, from Subaru....a good example was when Forester XT 5MT was dropped a few years ago from lack of buyers. In a reverse ploy, the new 2010 Legacy GT was offered ONLY with a 6 MT, but Subaru is rethinking that, with many requests for an automatic.

The 1Gen CTS-V, BTW, did come with a traditional manual....and I beleve it was offered on some regular non-V CTS versions as well. We'll see if the upcoming version of the V-Wagon does. But GM, still recovering from bankrupcy, is not about to offer something that they don't think will sell at what they feel is an an acceptable rate.
Old 07-11-10, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
I'm glad this wagon was well done. IMO a well done wagon is just an absolute thing of beauty.
The 5-series wagon has to rank up there in the looks department, too, but there are rumors that it may soon be dropped.

As for the spare tire ... my car doesn't even come with one (it's a weight thing) so I can see why it's an option, but I think it should probably be a no-cost-option.
They TELL you that it is a weight issue (auto marketers will tell you anything....they can out-smooth-talk even lawyers). Unless run-flat tires are used, you can bet the monthly rent it's really cost......a compressed-air bottle is cheaper than even a small donut temporary.

But, with Run-Flats, it may be a different story. Run-flats are expensive, because of the technology used in their rubber compounds and stiff-sidewalls used to support the weight of the car without air, and an auto manufacturer doesn't necessarily save any money by using them. There, it may be more of a space/weight issue, as you note.

Now if we could just get Cadillacs into their own dedicated dealerships we might just be in business
I don't know how they sell Cadillacs in Canada where you are, but, in the U.S., many dealers were joint Cadillac-Hummer. Now that Hummer is gone (or on the way out), those dealerships will be exactly that.....Cadillac only.
Old 07-11-10, 02:58 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

LOVE the 5wagon, but as far as I know, there will be no more 5wagon for the North America market; BMW wants people to buy the 5GT instead.
Old 07-11-10, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice car but i'd only consider one if they give me some of the FIFTY BILLION stolen from the American people to keep them in business.

The flip side of that, of course, is that it they didn't stay in buisness, GM workers would have likely lost that 50 billion.....and more......in lost wages and layoffs. They are taking some layoffs and wage-cutbacks even as it as it is. The old days of the high-paying UAW assembly-plant jobs are clearly gone.....or will soon be.
Old 07-11-10, 05:02 PM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

It is a great effort & I would consider one, except for the way POTUS strong armed secured bondholders to give up their position to support a nonsecured creditor, the UAW. No Govt. Motors for my family.
Old 07-11-10, 05:39 PM
LexFather

Yeah we will not get the 5 series wagon

Old 07-12-10, 03:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.....Didn't you look at at an older CTS-V some time ago? I know you checked out several high-performance cars at one time...a Corvette Z06, Shelby Mustang, and Audi S5, among some others, if my memory is right....and some of the deals didn't go through.
Looked at the CTS-V when first arrived, dealer said beware of electrical issues..

S5, Shelby GT500, Z06, M3, AM Vantage, R8, Cayman, 911, Cayenne.... on and on... S5 never secured off the boat, bad experience same dealer on a BMW...

I'm not liking the CTS-V coupe as much as the sedan, the wagon is appealing but... as mentioned previously I don't think I'll be happy with one car even if it's the new Cayenne turbo...
Old 07-12-10, 06:17 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the write up buddy. I appreciate the window into this new vehicle. I like the interior fit and finish, but the cabin ( like you said) seems a bit tight, the price seems a bit high, and frankly a sport wagon seems contradictory . GM/Cadillac have been making some decent strides but they are not quite there yet imho
Old 07-12-10, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
LOVE the 5wagon, but as far as I know, there will be no more 5wagon for the North America market; BMW wants people to buy the 5GT instead.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah we will not get the 5 series wagon
I saw rumors that it would be dropped. Guess it is now fact.

I know a lot of you don't like the GT's looks (and I agree the rear end, like the Honda Crosstour is awkward, but the GT is one nice car under the skin, with that turbo V8 and 8-speed, if heavy and expensive.
Old 07-12-10, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssigs4
It is a great effort & I would consider one, except for the way POTUS strong armed secured bondholders to give up their position to support a nonsecured creditor, the UAW. No Govt. Motors for my family.
As far as I know, Obama was behind that. He virtually ignored the bondholders in the Government GM takeover/buyout. But that is an issue probably better left for the DEBATE forum.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Cadillac CTS SportWagon