Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Corvette announces engine building experience(for a price): Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 06:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Corvette announces engine building experience(for a price): Video

Chevrolet's Corvette is already one of the best bargains in supercar-level performance available, from the base Coupe to the ZR1 mega-car. Now, it gets a bit of the true supercar touch, thanks to a new program Chevrolet announced today: the engine build experience.
Rather than just taking delivery at the factory or the dealer lot, Corvette buyers can now visit the factory to watch their exact car travel down the assembly line before taking delivery at the National Corvette Museum--and then testing it out on the track. Along the way, they can even help build their own engine.
The engine build experience, available to customers that order a 2011 Corvette Z06 or ZR1, adds a level of personal contact with the car even Lamborghini and Ferrari don't match. For those owners, the 505-horsepower LS7 and 638-horsepower LS9 engines that power the cars will now contain something even more special than raw motive force.
It's not a freebie, however: the engine build option will cost buyers $5,800. That money could be considered tuition, however, as they will build the engine under supervision of GM's skilled techs. Once finished, the engine gets a nameplate on the block next to the GM engine builder's name before being sent to the assembly plant and installed in the car.
The engine build experience also includes museum delivery and a driving school, though those features can also be had apart from the engine build. The Buyer's Tour lets corvette buyers tour the Bowling Green assembly plant where all Corvettes are built for just $400, while the museum delivery option runs $490.
Standard Corvettes don't get get the engine build option because the LS3 that goes under their hoods isn't already a hand-built unit, unlike the LS7 and LS9.
Check out the video below to get a taste of the engine build experience.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...ild-experience

VIDEO:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Plzk...layer_embedded

I don't know about you guys but I think if I was buying a Vette I would save the $5,800 for a nice set of wheels and a set of performance springs. Cool option for the Vette enthusiast though
Attached Thumbnails Corvette announces engine building experience(for a price): Video-2011-chevrolet-corvette-engine-build-experience_100316117_m.jpg   Corvette announces engine building experience(for a price): Video-2011-chevrolet-corvette-engine-build-experience_100316118_m.jpg   Corvette announces engine building experience(for a price): Video-2011-chevrolet-corvette-engine-build-experience_100316119_m.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-12-10 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 10:00 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't pay 6k for an engine I built myself considering my lack of hands on mechanical skills lol
Old 07-12-10, 10:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this would be a great experience
Old 07-12-10, 10:20 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand charging $400 to let people tour your factory, or pick it up there. The experience creates brand loyalty and helps sell more cars.

Hell, the Germans will not only let you tour for free if you buy a car, but will give you a discount on said car if you pick it up over there!

I wonder if they still charge you the destination fee.
Old 07-12-10, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that I would rather my engine built by the pro and tours of the factory should be free or at least much cheaper than what they are asking
Old 07-12-10, 12:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
this would be a great experience
I thought this too. I would love to be a part of building my own engine. Then I'd sign my own engine ala AMG or the LFA

Old 07-12-10, 02:16 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't want my nameplate on there. If the engine blew up, guess who they would point the finger to?
Old 07-12-10, 02:46 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering if they get a special tour for the $400. Anyone can go to Bowling Green and get an assembly plant tour for free.

I was there before the XLR came out but there were a few around along with a sectioned off area where they were getting built (not part of the tour).
Old 07-12-10, 05:17 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think it's a great idea and there's a tech there with you so you're not technically building it yourself, no way they would let you do anything like torquing the head down without checking. Either way, it's a great idea.
Old 07-13-10, 05:44 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
... The engine build experience also includes museum delivery and a driving school, though those features can also be had apart from the engine build. The Buyer's Tour lets corvette buyers tour the Bowling Green assembly plant where all Corvettes are built for just $400, while the museum delivery option runs $490. ...
When I first read this, I wondered why they listed the assembly plant tour and museum delivery options separately. As a former Corvette owner (x2), I followed the Corvette world closely. Folks who purchased museum delivery often visited the assembly plant (across the road from the museum) and got to start their own cars for the first time. GM would them move them to the delivery area of the museum where the owner would take delivery the next day.

I also wondered about the logistics of a package that includes the engine build, assembly plant tour, and museum delivery as the engine plant is in Wixom, MI while the assembly plant and museum are in Bowling Green, KY.

All these thoughts came together this morning when a local Lansing, MI TV station ran a story that the Lansing Grand River assemply plant, where they build the Cadillac CTS & STS, is in the running to also assemble the Corvette. It seems that GM may do further plant consolidation and the Bowling Green, KY plant may be axed. BTW, Lansing is about an hour from the Wixom engine plant. I also heard in the past that the National Corvette Museum was planning to build a track, so the driving school would probably be there.
Old 07-13-10, 06:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

bucket list....
Old 07-13-10, 09:40 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a page out of the BMW book (except the build it your self bit ~ that's a little bit, um, ... I don't think the build it your self is that great of an idea, I can see serious problems there)
Old 07-13-10, 11:48 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not like they are gonna let you watch some instructional video for 20 minutes then send you into a room with all the LS7 parts and let you build one. I've seen the Utimate Factories episode of Corvette building process. Most likely the actual master builder - who would've built the engine at Wixon, MI anyway - would be doing the building and you the buyer will watch over his shoulder and get to do some simple tasks like fetching some nuts or lowering the machine that automatically torques multiple bolts couple of times and then at the end of it get to put on a sticker with your name on it alongside the master builder's sticker.

Even though it's likely not you actually building the engine and just watching, if I were getting a new Z06, I would do the building experience. It's a very good idea from GM to do this.
Old 07-13-10, 01:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The engine build would be great for guys who are into that. I just feel that a consumer who is willing to drop $5800 for that would be buying a more expensive car
Old 07-13-10, 02:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

[ohsnap]at least using the car buyer to help assemble the engine is cheaper than UAW labor[/ohsnap]

Quick Reply: Corvette announces engine building experience(for a price): Video