Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(updated) NHTSA: No evidence of Toyota electronics problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 05:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Both good points from Fizzboy7 and IS350jet.

This is the classic "Damned if you do - Damned if you don't" scenario.
Old 07-14-10, 06:06 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't agree. I think the worse part of this entire situation was the fact that Toyota admitted and accepted responsibility for every run-a-way complaint. IMO, that was a mistake of catastrophic proportions. When the US Government asked Toyota if they were were blaming the consumer for their UA crashes, Toyota said "no, it is our fault entirely". Why couldn't Toyota's response have been more like, "We are carefully investigating each claim on a case by case basis, however, generally speaking, no, we are not blaming the consumer." Little words like that make a huge difference in how the public perceives a company. Toyota got blamed and Toyota accepted all responsibility. To the NHTSA, that may be honorable, but to the consumer, it's bad news, bad publicity.
Couldn't disagree with you more. Toyota was already getting killed in the media. If they had adamantly denied responsibility it would have gone up tenfold. Look at what's happening to Apple. They're getting butchered by the media because they refuse to acknowledge problems with the iPhone 4. And that involves a problem that is much less serious than people dying.

BTW, Toyota didn't say it was their fault entirely anyway. They continually said there's no software problem. They only apologized for sticky accelerator pedals and floor mat issues. We know the floor mat issue did cause one accident because of a stupid dealership. The sticky accelerator was really a separate issue. It was more of a minor problem, but I don't think any experts believed it was the cause for the crashes.
Old 07-14-10, 06:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackblack7
Couldn't disagree with you more. Toyota was already getting killed in the media. If they had adamantly denied responsibility it would have gone up tenfold. Look at what's happening to Apple. They're getting butchered by the media because they refuse to acknowledge problems with the iPhone 4. And that involves a problem that is much less serious than people dying.

BTW, Toyota didn't say it was their fault entirely anyway. They continually said there's no software problem. They only apologized for sticky accelerator pedals and floor mat issues. We know the floor mat issue did cause one accident because of a stupid dealership. The sticky accelerator was really a separate issue. It was more of a minor problem, but I don't think any experts believed it was the cause for the crashes.
I never said they should "adamantly deny" any wrongdoing. I simply said they should have worded it differently, as I quoted above. And, yes, Toyota did, unconditionally, accept FULL responsibility for any and ALL occurrences of unintended acceleration, it's public record.
Old 07-14-10, 06:36 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never said they should "adamantly deny" any wrongdoing. I simply said they should have worded it differently, as I quoted above. And, yes, Toyota did, unconditionally, accept FULL responsibility for any and ALL occurrences of unintended acceleration, it's public record.
I guarantee you they didn't say all cases of unintended acceleration were their fault. Their lawyers would never have allowed that.
Old 07-14-10, 06:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't agree. I think the worse part of this entire situation was the fact that Toyota admitted and accepted responsibility for every run-a-way complaint. IMO, that was a mistake of catastrophic proportions. When the US Government asked Toyota if they were were blaming the consumer for their UA crashes, Toyota said "no, it is our fault entirely". Why couldn't Toyota's response have been more like, "We are carefully investigating each claim on a case by case basis, however, generally speaking, no, we are not blaming the consumer." Little words like that make a huge difference in how the public perceives a company. Toyota got blamed and Toyota accepted all responsibility. To the NHTSA, that may be honorable, but to the consumer, it's bad news, bad publicity.
While I completely agree, Toyota is a Japanese company at the end of the day and their culture operates much differently than ours. Honor and shame, for two, are looked at very differently. Based on cultural factors alone, I am not really surprised at all.
Old 07-14-10, 07:23 AM
LexFather

What a morning! All the crow is sold out!!

Old 07-14-10, 07:26 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While I completely agree, Toyota is a Japanese company at the end of the day and their culture operates much differently than ours. Honor and shame, for two, are looked at very differently. Based on cultural factors alone, I am not really surprised at all.
Yes, good point. Success or failure, there is nothing in between. That's the Japanese culture.
Old 07-14-10, 07:33 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This whole situation of vehicles going out of control for one reason or another makes a good case for a series of fail-safes in the software controls. With electronics taking over critical functions, there will be instances of failure, either of components or software, that cannot be overridden by the driver. If we are going to turn over critical commands like acceleration and braking to computers, we need a positive means to override the computer in an emergency.

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."
Old 07-14-10, 08:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."
"I'm sorry, Bob. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Old 07-14-10, 08:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
"I'm sorry, Bob. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Ironically Hal did try to kill the humans

Old 07-14-10, 08:54 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

we should recall stupidity.
Old 07-14-10, 08:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ironically Hal did try to kill the humans
LOL!
Old 07-14-10, 09:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vwynn
we should recall stupidity.
Yes, since we can't kill it.
Old 07-14-10, 12:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

At least Hal had a soothing voice during the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W5Am-a_xWw
Old 07-14-10, 12:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

lets get back on track guys.

Quick Reply: (updated) NHTSA: No evidence of Toyota electronics problems