Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda to kill RL/Legend(update not anymore but no one knows its alive so it is dead)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 08:48 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Acura
Gorgeous as it is, the ZDX is not nearly as practical as the MDX, either – but it is the best-looking Acura yet.

Who told them that? I said long ago, this Michelle girl needs to get the boot, but good!
Old 07-17-10, 09:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I remember this quote:

It was an emotional day for Michelle Christensen. Her “baby” was coming into the world.

Watching, I felt like I was going to tear up,” she said.

Yea we're tearing up already, but not for the same reason
Old 07-17-10, 02:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As RL sales run rate is fast approaching zero per month, killing off the RL won't be necessary, the slow death is taking place naturally, with actual buyers selecting other brands/models.
Old 07-17-10, 02:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Damn Unicorns

Well many of us called it over 5 years ago, the 2nd gen RL was going to fail and fail hard. Well it did. We told you so below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l?highlight=RL

Over the years fanbois have come to its defense with illogical loyalty when all the signs were clear this car is completely lackluster and Honda/Acura has absolutely no clue how to produce a true luxury vehicle. For over 15 years they have basically tarted up an Accord platform and do not get the memo that more investment is needed. They dropped a tremendously valuable name in the "Legend" so people can say "Acura" like that really means something. My goodness we watched as Infiniti has debuted 3 different generations of the M45 and substantially upgrading the car while Acura completely half-asses the RL for over a decade.

Even if they don't discontinue it, the name RL is so tarnished with failure they need to drop the name. Even if they finally decide to bring a V-8 or RWD it is decades too late. HYUNDAI has what the RL should have been in the Genesis. Think about it, HYUNDAI makes what Acura does not.

If this does get canceled, Acura will have 2 sedans, 3 SUVs and a Civic rebdage coming. If that isn't exciting and get your heart racing I don't know what will

I say good riddance.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/16/r...y-discontinue/

Sorry 1SICKLEX but its not going anywhere according to this

seems like this went no where fast

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...se-out-planned

Earlier this morning, reports emerged that the Acura RL, bawdy bionic beavertooth grille and all, might soon be headed to the scrap heap of history, but Acura has released a brief missive putting the kibosh on any such talk. The Acura RL is alive and well, and will continue to be the flagship for the brand.
Gary Robins, manager of Acura public relations in the U.S., released the following statement: "This morning erroneous media reports began to surface suggesting that Acura's RL model would be discontinued. These reports are untrue. The RL continues to be the flagship for the Acura brand and we have no plans to discontinue it."
It couldn't be put any plainer: the RL will live on.

Though we clearly cautioned readers that the report was shaky at best, there was good reason to think the report could eventually prove true.
Before the world banking system sent the global economy down the proverbial tubes, Acura had been planning a run at "tier 1" luxury status. That all went away, however, along with potential plans for V-8 engines and rear-wheel drive. The company's desire for more efficiency and less performance could also have provided justification to end the RL.
Regardless of what might have befallen the RL, however, it's safe within the Acura lineup for the foreseeable future. Acura fans, relax.

Acura "fanbois" rejoice
Old 07-17-10, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

here is your original post to autoblog with the updated info from Honda at the bottom:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/16/r...y-discontinue/

Word coming from Japan's Nikkei business daily (as reported by Reuters) indicates that Honda has finally decided to discontinue the slow selling Acura RL and its Japanese market counterpart, the Honda Legend.

Ostensibly the flagship of Acura's brand here in North America, the RL has been a slow-seller for quite some time, upstaged in part by the company's less-expensive, higher-volume TL sedan. For some years now, the TL has offered more space, similar tech and even more power (in the Type S model), making the RL a particularly tough sell for dealers. Through the first half of this year, only 872 RLs have been sold in the United States.

Another production change reported by the Nikke that would only affect the Japanese market is the discontinuation of conventional gasoline versions of the Civic. If accurate, that would mean that from now until at least until the next-generation Civic arrives in the Fall of 2011, Honda will only sell the Civic hybrid in its home market.

In addition, the JDM Elysion minivan is also apparently set to get the axe.

Autoblog reached out to Honda for comment on the Nikkei story, and spokesman Chuck Schifsky would only say that the automaker does not comment on future product plans, noting that no official announcement has been made about the fate of the RL/Legend, the JDM Civic or the Elysion. Top tip, Joaquin!

UPDATE: Acura has released a statement saying that RL will continue to be the brand's flagship model and it's in no danger of being euthanized.
Old 07-17-10, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Since you don't read I8abmr and just posted something already linked here let me quote my previous post in response for you.

I dont' care what they say as what they SAY and what they DO (or rather don't do) are two different things.

So yeah, they say its not going to be canceled. Just like they said it was getting a V-8, RWD etc etc

The funnier part is so what if they continue to produce it. So it can continue to tarnish the brand, sell 200 units a month and be a laughingstock. So what if a V-8 comes, Hyundai and Kia have them for crying out loud.

So glad you know how to use bold font about something full of fail for over 15 years.

LOL...2010 RL rumors here and lol at some of the posts...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post3368341

LOL, Acura looks to be top luxury brand

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post3576839

LOL 2011 RWD RL spied

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-acura-rl.html

I don't know how anyone can continue to support this brand as they have simply spit in the face of their loyal fans for over a decade with promises and lies that never came to light.

Honda clearly has no hopes for Acura and this is evident by what they produce. People need to move on and realize their Unicorn(s) are just that. Unicorns.

While they still don't know what to do with the RL other auto brands have continued to improve and move the ball;

Infiniti has a new M37/56 with 330/429hp and M35 hybrid is coming.
Jaguar got rid of the average S-type and the XF has 3 V-8 options
The E class went back to quality and crasftmanship and is selling lot hotcakes
The 5 series is new and has 300 and 400hp turbo engines
Even Saab has a new 9-5 with turbos and AWD.
Lincoln got in the picture with the MKS with a 365 eco-boost engine
Hyundai offers a 380hp RWD V-8 Genesis
Next will be whatever Lexus comes with the GS

Old 07-17-10, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Mike and I8ABMR........

With auto marketers, you never know sometimes if you can believe them or not. They are classic smooth-talkers, just like politicians and lawyers. Look at the "proposed" 2Gen NSX....a perfect example. We got different stories and press-releases from the Honda/Acura people almost constantly..........and Andrew (Gojirra99), at the time, did a good job keeping us up to date on the latest one. After constantly-changing stories, they finally dropped it once and for all.
Old 07-17-10, 03:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Since you don't read I8abmr and just posted something already linked here let me quote my previous post in response for you.

I dont' care what they say as what they SAY and what they DO (or rather don't do) are two different things.

So yeah, they say its not going to be canceled. Just like they said it was getting a V-8, RWD etc etc

The funnier part is so what if they continue to produce it. So it can continue to tarnish the brand, sell 200 units a month and be a laughingstock. So what if a V-8 comes, Hyundai and Kia have them for crying out loud.

So glad you know how to use bold font about something full of fail for over 15 years.

your posts dont have the info I posted with the update therefore the info is wrong. You posted CL posts with your subjective thoughts and opinions on the car. I posted stuff from autoblog (objective). I dont care as much about subjective opinion on the vehicle. Don't get frustrated because the car you love to hate isn't going to die right away. I think we all know its probably not going to do much other than to die a slow death. Trust me I never said it was better than a Lexus but its still one hell of a car (minus some of the styling). My position on this issue is evident in the fact that own and drive a 2007 GS not a 2007 RL. You have made many good points about this car. I am just trying to shed some light on the update. Not trying to go back and fourth

I guessmmarshall is right. we will just have to wait and see.
Old 07-17-10, 03:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mike and I8ABMR........

With auto marketers, you never know sometimes if you can believe them or not. They are classic smooth-talkers, just like politicians and lawyers. Look at the "proposed" 2Gen NSX....a perfect example. We got different stories and press-releases from the Honda/Acura people almost constantly..........and Andrew (Gojirra99), at the time, did a good job keeping us up to date on the latest one. After constantly-changing stories, they finally dropped it once and for all.
BMW rarely talks, Benz rarely talks, Audi rarely talks, Lexus rarely talks. THEY DO. We see spy shots, we see real vehicles being produced. THEY DO THEY DO THEY DO.

Acura talks, talks, talks talks talks and doesn't do. That is why the brand is in a complete mess right now.

Old 07-17-10, 03:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

BMW rarely talks, Benz rarely talks, Audi rarely talks, Lexus rarely talks. THEY DO. We see spy shots, we see real vehicles being produced. THEY DO THEY DO THEY DO.

Acura talks, talks, talks talks talks and doesn't do. That is why the brand is in a complete mess right now.

when you're right....you're right. I agree that they do talk a lot. Only time will tell what will happen to Acura
Old 07-17-10, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with you on some Acura products, but, with the ZDX, it seemed to be the opposite...they did it (seemingly) without warning us at first that this monstrosity was coming. And now THEY are stuck with it.

And, yes, I'm with you on the TSX Sportwagon. Time to stop talking and actually BRING it here.
Old 07-17-10, 03:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RL or no RL, we all know acura is to honda what mercury is to ford.

not a true luxury brand, no prestige.

without a proper halo car, no one will take acura seriously.

they should take a page from the Hyundai playbook. They have a proper halo car, and the sonata is selling well.

The first thing acura needs to do is to fire all the designers and the c-suite people who approve the designs.
tons of car sales can be made on exterior appearance alone.
Old 07-17-10, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
tons of car sales can be made on exterior appearance alone.
Sad but true. Many people buy simply on the skin, and give little thought to what they are getting under the skin.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 05:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Amusing.

Honda in this climate is looking at similar selling issues as previous manufacturers have in the past. They can learn and while this will hurt, walking away now presents a better option. Their trying to hang on will result squandering more $$ away. I say integrate what is already basically the same platform back into Honda and be done. The luxury opportunity has passed them by...bye-bye Acura. Unless they want to keep a whole dealership chain for a couple cars.
Old 07-17-10, 05:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Sad but true. Many people buy simply on the skin, and give little thought to what they are getting under the skin.
Well, Mike, didnt you almost purchase a purple Challenger yourself? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean it in a bad way, but thats one example of buying simply the skin

Quick Reply: Honda to kill RL/Legend(update not anymore but no one knows its alive so it is dead)