Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda to kill RL/Legend(update not anymore but no one knows its alive so it is dead)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, Mike, didnt you almost purchase a purple Challenger yourself? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean it in a bad way, but thats one example of buying simply the skin
No problem at all, friend......I know exactly what you are saying. Yep, I considered it. That purple Plum Crazy paint from 1970 is indeed seductive....I'll be the first to admit it. But the new Challenger, just like the original one 40 years ago, aside from some torque and good retro looks, is not very impressive under the skin. The skin itself (sheet metal), apart from the admitted good looks, could use some improvement as well...it is rather flimsy-feeling. The whole car has pretty much the same El Cheapo build quality that many Dodge/Chrysler products have today. The new 2011 Mustang, BTW, IMO, substantially outdoes it on build quality, over and under the skin....which was not the case with Mustangs from just a few years ago. I also didn't think the Challenger R/T and SRT were necessarily worth 35-40K. I'm not sure the Mustang is, either.

But that shows you that even experienced people, like us here on CL, can (sometimes) get caught up with love-at-first-sight looks....or retro/nostalgia from their youth. With Subarus, though, it was pretty much the opposite. Subarus generally don't impress me much on the skin, but the more I looked under the skin, the more impressed I became with them. I became sold enough to buy.

My brother, recently, seems to have fallen in love with the Kia Soul (see my thread in Car Chat). I've spent hours with him discussing all the possible options in his price range for a new (or used) vehicle....we'll see what happens in the near future.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, Mike......we'll get back on topic now....Acura marketing.

And here's some news, Mike. I know you don't like C&D, and the article may (?) not be 100% credible......but if the RL lasts until 2012, looks like it's slated for a V8.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...a_v-8-car_news

If they put in, say, a V8 with 350 ft-lbs. of torque or more (most V8s today run at least that) and the SH-AWD....now THERE will be a combination. But, as other posters have pointed out, it still has to sell....a weakness with the present model.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 07:43 PM
BigLexx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to think I almost bought an Acura RL over an Lexus LS400!!
Old 07-17-10, 07:58 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

And here's some news, Mike. I know you don't like C&D, and the article may (?) not be 100% credible......but if the RL lasts until 2012, looks like it's slated for a V8.

If they put in, say, a V8 with 350 ft-lbs. of torque or more (most V8s today run at least that) and the SH-AWD....now THERE will be a combination. But, as other posters have pointed out, it still has to sell....a weakness with the present model.
This article looked very familiar to me as I read it. Did a quick search and we had a thread here in Car Chat for it back in July 2009.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-a-v-8-a.html

As much as I like the idea of a V8 RL, I don't think we'll see it until the next generation if there is one.
Old 07-17-10, 08:26 PM
LexFather

Yeah Mike the Honda CEO has already said multiple times now no V-8 and no RWD. TripleL is right. What is supposedly coming is what Lexus has produced since 2006 and what has covered already 5 billion miles already. Hybrids. Acura is going to follow Lexus and offer hybrids. The next gen RL will be basically what the GS 450h already is but with AWD.

The car has been an utter and miserable failure for 15 years now. Put it out its misery.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
your posts dont have the info I posted with the update therefore the info is wrong. You posted CL posts with your subjective thoughts and opinions on the car. I posted stuff from autoblog (objective). I dont care as much about subjective opinion on the vehicle. Don't get frustrated because the car you love to hate isn't going to die right away. I think we all know its probably not going to do much other than to die a slow death. Trust me I never said it was better than a Lexus but its still one hell of a car (minus some of the styling). My position on this issue is evident in the fact that own and drive a 2007 GS not a 2007 RL. You have made many good points about this car. I am just trying to shed some light on the update. Not trying to go back and fourth

I guessmmarshall is right. we will just have to wait and see.
Actually Post 45 yesterday showed this info. Udel just didn't link the article.

Originally Posted by UDel
Acura RL Safe: No Phase Out Planned

Earlier this morning, reports emerged that the Acura RL, bawdy bionic beavertooth grille and all, might soon be headed to the scrap heap of history, but Acura has released a brief missive putting the kibosh on any such talk. The Acura RL is alive and well, and will continue to be the flagship for the brand.

Gary Robins, manager of Acura public relations in the U.S., released the following statement: "This morning erroneous media reports began to surface suggesting that Acura's RL model would be discontinued. These reports are untrue. The RL continues to be the flagship for the Acura brand and we have no plans to discontinue it."

It appears the reports were wrong, the RL is not getting discontinued according to Acura manager of public relations Gary Robins. Acura claims the unverified media reports today from a few sources that they are discontinuing the RL were erroneous and untrue. They did not mention anything about the Legend but it is unlikely the Legend sold in other markets either would be discontinued if the RL is staying in the Acura lineup.

Old 07-18-10, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The car has been an utter and miserable failure for 15 years now. Put it out its misery.

Actually, if you have test-driven the 1Gen RL (I don't know if you did or not), I think you would have actually preferred the current 2Gen model, parrot-beak and all. The 1Gen model got a well-known reputation as the Japanese Buick (even Consumer Reports commented on that). It was more-or-less styled like a Buick, had a conservative, plush interior, a Buick-like dash with round gauge-tunnels, and, of course, a relatively soft, floating ride/handling combo about like that of the last-generation ES330. It was certainly not what I would call a sporting, enthusiast car. Of course, I like a relatively soft ride, as long as it doesn't degrade handling too much.

The current, 2Gen RL radically changed the interior, adding even better wood-trim, better exterior sheet metal, dash-controllers, a first-class paint job, and, of course, the new SH-AWD chassis, which vastly improved the traction and handling....and the first of the 2Gen models didn't have the parrot-beak either.

Knowing your admitted taste in cars, I just personally think you would have preferred the 2Gen model over the original one, though, unlike some posters, you don't necessarily pan a softer ride.
Old 07-18-10, 02:30 PM
LexFather

Actually, if you have test-driven the 1Gen RL (I don't know if you did or not), I think you would have actually preferred the current 2Gen model, parrot-beak and all. The 1Gen model got a well-known reputation as the Japanese Buick (even Consumer Reports commented on that). It was more-or-less styled like a Buick, had a conservative, plush interior, a Buick-like dash with round gauge-tunnels, and, of course, a relatively soft, floating ride/handling combo about like that of the last-generation ES330. It was certainly not what I would call a sporting, enthusiast car. Of course, I like a relatively soft ride, as long as it doesn't degrade handling too much.

The current, 2Gen RL radically changed the interior, adding even better wood-trim, better exterior sheet metal, dash-controllers, a first-class paint job, and, of course, the new SH-AWD chassis, which vastly improved the traction and handling....and the first of the 2Gen models didn't have the parrot-beak either.

Knowing your admitted taste in cars, I just personally think you would have preferred the 2Gen model over the original one, though, unlike some posters, you don't necessarily pan a softer ride.
I've driven them all Mike. The 1st gen RL was a laughable effort. They gave it a huge 3.5 V-6 with 210hp for their flagship (the Legend GS had 230hp for crying out loud) and it was basically a knock-off of the LS without the RWD, luxury, space, V-8, build. The RL offered no case to buy it over an equally soft ES 300 which was 15 grand less.

The car was so average and bland when I had a good relationship with an Acura dealer here she took it home (went car shopping for her) and it did nothing for her.

I do prefer the 1G RL styling to the 2G as it at least had RWD proportions compared to the Accord FWD look of the 2G RL.

All that has happened is I've been repeating the same things over and over and been right over and over. Its really not rocket science here. Lexus figured things out with the 2nd gen GS in 1998, Infiniti figured things out in 2005 with the M35/45 and Acura seemingly is completely clueless.

Old 07-18-10, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do prefer the 1G RL styling to the 2G as it at least had RWD proportions compared to the Accord FWD look of the 2G RL.
That surprises me a little, but I'll take your word for it. The 1Gen RL styling (like the Acura Vigor before it) was even boring by MY tastes....and I'm notoriously conservative (as with my preference of the last Sonata over the new one).

All that has happened is I've been repeating the same things over and over and been right over and over. Its really not rocket science here. Lexus figured things out with the 2nd gen GS in 1998, Infiniti figured things out in 2005 with the M35/45 and Acura seemingly is completely clueless.
Infiniti, as I see it, only partially partially figured things out with the M-series. Even with the 4.5L V8 (and the new M56), it still doesn't seem to me a true flagship, ever since the Q45 left.

Lexus didn't REALLY figure things out with the GS, as I see it, until it got the AWD option in 2006. Too bad that AWD system proved unreliable, at least according to Consumer Reports. AWD had really helped the IS series, too.....in my area the AWD model clearly outsells the regular IS250.

I agree that Acura, in the last several years, has become clueless to some extent (and, like you, that's one thing I've said several times too). Nothing proved that more than the ZDX. You and I really have only disagreed on a couple of the RL's design/marketing features; that's all.
Old 07-18-10, 10:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Infiniti M has never been a success. It too is a dudd and one could say Infiniti is just as clueless of a company when it comes to their mid-sized and full-sized sedans.
Having said that, it's sad Acura stumbled so hard with the RL (and now TL). I grew up on a 1992 Legend LS and a 1996 RL. Both were comfortable, reliable, and modern, if a bit bland. They served their purpose.
Old 07-19-10, 05:19 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the only thing wrong with the RL is the comapny behind it. It is a fine automobile with build quality at the upper echelon of the finest cars built today. It has, arguably, one of the most technologically advanced AWD systems in the world today. It is as solid, if not more so, that any Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Lexus. It's luxuriously quiet and smooth, yet, handles (almost) like no other car in its class.

It may be a tad overpriced but it can be had for considerably less. Sure, it could use a bit more power but that's probably in the works. Acura is the problem with the RL, not the car itself.
Old 07-19-10, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
IMO, the only thing wrong with the RL is the comapny behind it. It is a fine automobile with build quality at the upper echelon of the finest cars built today. It has, arguably, one of the most technologically advanced AWD systems in the world today. It is as solid, if not more so, that any Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Lexus. It's luxuriously quiet and smooth, yet, handles (almost) like no other car in its class.

It may be a tad overpriced but it can be had for considerably less. Sure, it could use a bit more power but that's probably in the works. Acura is the problem with the RL, not the car itself.
Good post. I generally agree.
Old 07-19-10, 09:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, the failure of the RL is a combination of the car itself (including the style/technology/performance/fuel efficiency/value) and the company behind it.
Old 07-19-10, 09:45 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

how does a company get it so right with the LEGEND and get it so wrong with the RL ?

the first gen RL was a joke, i used to own one. gas guzzlin piece of junk that does nothing good but suck up gas....as ridiculous as it sounds; it seems to be the only good thing it does.

with the koreans coming up with their new mid size and full size sedans, this may be acura's best decision with the RL!
Old 07-19-10, 01:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
how does a company get it so right with the LEGEND and get it so wrong with the RL ?
Perhaps they didn't get it right. ...I mean they got it right in the sense that they sold alot, but perhaps they would not have had the competition been what it is today. It seems that Honda as a company today has faltered in coming up with new tech and designs while the competition is blowing right by them. They are very much where GM has been up until recently. Yeah, people buy em, but they aren't all that exciting or inovative.
Old 07-19-10, 05:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Perhaps they didn't get it right. ...I mean they got it right in the sense that they sold alot, but perhaps they would not have had the competition been what it is today. It seems that Honda as a company today has faltered in coming up with new tech and designs while the competition is blowing right by them. .
Good points and the proof is the lack of Acura sales results in the premium end of the car business. The competition advanced and evolved at a much faster pace in recent years.

Quick Reply: Honda to kill RL/Legend(update not anymore but no one knows its alive so it is dead)